Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I searched the forums and could not find a duplicate of my problem. My tpms sensor came on and I aired up the tires to about 38psi. It's come on before and disappeared after I drove it about a mile. Well, one week in and it didn't happen. Now, my check engine light is on as well as the tpm sensor light. As I write this I'm going to go make sure my gas cap is tight, but I could not find anywhere on the forums where the tpms set off the check engine light... Someone please tell me my X is okay!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks for the autozone tip! I went and they gave me a P0443 code: Evaporative emissions control system (supposed to check every 30k). I used this as an excuse to buy a Haynes manual, which says this system draws the fuel tank vapors into a charcoal box next to the rear left wheel, which then sends it via hose to the intake manifold. Either the box or the hose is the issue, I will look at it in the morning. I'm trying to post pictures and be detailed for future people who have this issue, but autoguide (the app I'm on) says I don't have permission to post pictures? Anyone know why? Thanks again so much!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
321 Posts
As far as I know, there's no connection between the TPMS and the sensors that will set off the CEL.

I had a TPMS light, checked the tire pressures, thought they were OK, and ultimately found out that I had a bad tire pressure gauge (a fancy, expensive one at that). So check the tires with another gauge; then deal with the CEL separately. HPH

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know, there's no connection between the TPMS and the sensors that will set off the CEL.

I had a TPMS light, checked the tire pressures, thought they were OK, and ultimately found out that I had a bad tire pressure gauge (a fancy, expensive one at that). So check the tires with another gauge; then deal with the CEL separately. HPH

I didn't even think about my air gauge being faulty, great point. Will double check it! For the record, I use a cheapy, maybe I need a nice expensive one, haha.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I threw away the fancy, expensive one (one like this) and got two digital ones for a third the price -- they read within a half-psi of each other.

I'm not saying this is the problem, but it's possible. HPH

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tomorrow is my day off, I checked the evap solenoid under the hood, it's good. Not thinking its the ECM yet, going to go back behind the splash guard to the evap canister tomorrow and check the vent. Another thread around here said usually dust/ dirt build-up in the vent and set off the light. Will post pictures of the solenoid later for future reference.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
pretty sure the light wont go away without clearing it, i could be wrong

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I got the best results from actually cleaning the box. The hole the solenoid seals to I blew air in that and holy **** did a lot of mud and dust come out. You can see the filter material in there and it shoukd be yellow I think. Not black and brown like mine did. Defiantly take a look inside that after you take off the noid

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
2,233 Posts
pretty sure the light wont go away without clearing it, i could be wrong
If everything is working correctly now, the light will go out on it's own. But it takes a few drive cycles (not just starts, actual normal driving).

Or have a local auto parts store reset it for you.

Last would be to remove the battery cable for a few minutes. But I hate doing that as you loose the clock setting, radio presets, trip odometers...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If everything is working correctly now, the light will go out on it's own. But it takes a few drive cycles (not just starts, actual normal driving).

Or have a local auto parts store reset it for you.

Last would be to remove the battery cable for a few minutes. But I hate doing that as you loose the clock setting, radio presets, trip odometers...

Well, I think I'll have to wait. I went back to Autozone and they said they're not aloud to reset codes anymore. Kind of a one person ruined it for all of us deal he said. I'm with you on not doing the battery cable. I don't want to lose the odo and presets. The problem should be fixed, except for he tpm sensor.
I have another gauge I'm going to test alongside my own. How much is a new sensor, and can I buy them at the auto store or do I have to go to the dealer? I pretty much act like I have a restraining order against the dealership. It really is a last resort for me! Thanks for all the input!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts