Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just throwing this out there. I have a 2013 with the factory double-din Panasonic radio. Wanted to upgrade the tech a bit so started looking at the plethora of Android head units on the market. I noticed that the radios for Toyota were 200mm x 100mm which happened to be the size of the Nissan factory unit. I looked around for a radio with decent cpu/ram and here's the result. The radio slotted right in. The factory brackets had to be modified somewhat as the mounting hole locations were off a bit. The radio and front and rear cams came to around $250US. If you have a 2013 through 2015 X, a Toyota form-factor head unit is a nice option which can get you the maximum screen size that will fit between those a/c vents.

Before
xradio.JPG

After
PXL_20210719_155443005.jpg PXL_20210720_124636190.jpg

·
on line
238 Posts
Looks good!
throw out a link or part number

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good!
throw out a link or part number
This is the Toyota format radio I used. I picked this because it had a big screen and 4g ram, 64g rom. It's running a true Android 10 (this is spoofed in many Chinese radios). Fits my 2013 Xterra sport just fine (200mm x100mm faceplate). If you don't have a 13 through 15, your mileage may vary.

The harness was modified using this:

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,203 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the info. I just did a three day trip in Michigan in a rented vehicle with Android Auto. It was way, way better than looking at my phone like I have to do on my 13 Xterra P4X. I'm now thinking I want to swap that RF unit for something with Android Auto.
Since you didn't have the P4X Rockford Fosgate unit I'm assuming you didn't have steering wheel controls? Any idea what I'd need to do to have those still work with a solution like this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Thanks for the info. I just did a three day trip in Michigan in a rented vehicle with Android Auto. It was way, way better than looking at my phone like I have to do on my 13 Xterra P4X. I'm now thinking I want to swap that RF unit for something with Android Auto.
Since you didn't have the P4X Rockford Fosgate unit I'm assuming you didn't have steering wheel controls? Any idea what I'd need to do to have those still work with a solution like this?
I have no idea on the steering wheel control interface. On the Android Auto, don't get fixated on that. The unit I have is straight Android. I just logged it into my Google account and treat it like any other phone or tablet. For data, I wifi to the house or a hotspot on my phone. The head unit has a gps receiver so it can natively do nav. My wife's car has Android Auto and quite frankly, it's a pain in the ass because she has to plug her phone into the car to get navigation to work.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,203 Posts
True on plugging the phone in. That was a pain and sometimes connecting it was also a pain ... but I liked that big screen. I get it now though. The head unit running Android I'd just run Google maps or whatever app I wanted, log it into my phone hotspot and not worry about AA. Interesting. I'll have to look around some more.

·
on line
238 Posts
I have no idea on the steering wheel control interface. On the Android Auto, don't get fixated on that. The unit I have is straight Android. I just logged it into my Google account and treat it like any other phone or tablet. For data, I wifi to the house or a hotspot on my phone. The head unit has a gps receiver so it can natively do nav. My wife's car has Android Auto and quite frankly, it's a pain in the ass because she has to plug her phone into the car to get navigation to work.
this really is the benefit of an android head unit
no Apple CarPlay compatibility in your app? Won’t work on CarPlay. No android auto support? Same deal

but with an android head unit, anything that works for android will work, without another device
its a much better solution
I have an Apple carplay headunit, it works fine. But there are better solutions
and frankly, finding a large screen WITH a physical volume knob is hard

thanks

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,203 Posts
So, just surveying what's out there I really like that Toyota solution. Can you tell me what the boot-up time is on that unit? One of the things I dislike about the RF unit in my Xterra now is that it takes so long to boot every time you turn on the key.
I found this solution that claims a 1 second boot time. I'd buy it now just to give it a try but the physical dimensions are not perfect (like that Toyota head unit). They are 104mm X 182mm, so I'd have a 9mm gap on each side of the head unit. That would suck if there's not an adapter plate to take that up. Edit: Looks like there's a Metra dash kit that should take of that space on the sides.
Pumpkin Android 10
I'd rather get that HIZPRO unit for the Toyota IF it boots fairly quickly.

I'm pretty sure I can get everything to work properly (with the right adapters/connectors) with either unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you tell me what the boot-up time is on that unit? One of the things I dislike about the RF unit in my Xterra now is that it takes so long to boot every time you turn on the key.
From turn of key, 3 seconds to the Android home screen and 4 seconds to the radio playing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts