Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between these three tires in 285/75/16 size. The Wildpeaks are the most expensive at $268, followed by Toyo $234, and General $207.

I live in Colorado and definitely run some moderate to sometimes hard trails, but nothing too crazy. However most my driving is on road and in snow/ice in the winters. Seems I really can't go wrong with any of these options, but what do you all think? Are the Wildpeaks worth the extra $ over the other two?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The Wildpeaks are gaining a lot of popularity on this forum. I had a set on an older Chevy Colorado work struck about 10 years ago and they were great. Excellent traction in the snow. That little truck was a like a billy goat off road. I've never had any experience with Toyo's but the general consensus is they are great, but a little on the heavy side. Generals always strike me as a cheaper knock off of different tires. The few guys I know that have ran them never had much to say and went with another brand after they wore out.

I know everyone and their brother has them, but BFG KO2's are great and right in your price range. I have KO2 285's on my Xterra and love them. I also have a set on my '77 F250 and those things will go anywhere. I took them through slick clay mud and 10 inches of snow and it never even struggled. The only complaint on those is that they're not great in the rain, but I haven't experienced any problems there. I live in Colorado too and you know, it doesn't exactly rain a lot here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been happy with my Toyo Open Country AT IIs which were on my X when I purchased it last August. Not too loud and they have done great when I have taken the truck off-road in combinations of dry, rocky and muddy conditions. I'm going to be in the market for new tires this fall/winter and I'll definitely be giving consideration to the Open Country AT IIIs along with the BFG KO2s.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Im have been going over this exact same question!

falkens are good, i have them in 265/75/16. I would get them again but they are more expensive in the 285 size, and I want to try something new. So, I was looking at the other 2 due to the agressive look and 3pmsf rating.

I like the price of the generals, but I think i like the tread look of the toyo' s better.. these darn wildpeaks are lasting longer than i expected!

·
TNX Veteran
4,448 Posts
Wildpeaks are renowned for their snow performance. However, at this point tire tech is so good that I think you'll find each tire performance within a small margin of each other. I'd just pick whichever you like the look/price of the best!

Personally, I think the GG's are a knock-off of KO2 tread, which is the most overrated tire in the world. Falken's are good but I've seen too much of them. My vote is for the ATIII's... their tread pattern is just unique enough to make it interesting!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
For what it's worth, all of the tires you asked about are good choices.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ive had issues with the Goodyear tires which I chose for my Titan.
To be clear, the words i would use to describe these tires could not be posted here.

However, my neighbor installed the same tire on his truck and absolutely Loves them.
Maybe I received a bad batch or his was made on a especially good day.

I suppose the same could be said about most any brand.

Either way, ive not been a fan of this brand since.
I'm pleased to hear positive comments on the current Goodyear offerings.
The truth is I'm wrong to judge every goodyear tire based on my limited experience.

With this being said, I spoke to a friend in the tire business regarding what he recommended.

One of his top choices was the Grabber AXT.
Basically his selling point to me was mileage warranty, road performance, price and very few complaints.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went down this road a little over 2 months ago, was between the ATIII's and the ATX, I ended up going with the ATX in 285/75/16. So far so good, rain, snow, off-road have all been great. They are new tires so I wouldn't expect anything less. Came down to price this go around.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
As far as price, im my neck of the woods, the grabbers are about $200/ tire, with the toyo at3's being like $230.. so for a set of 4 your talking a $120 price difference. at almost $1k after install and warranty coverage, im going back and forth on whether that matters lol. If price were no concern, I would pick the toyo at3s, if price is a consideration, the grabbers are "lowest" cost. now, im usually pretty price conscious, but if you consider its about $1k either way, and they should last about 5 years, I start to wonder if the extra $120 isn really that big of a deal... actually when i think about it like this, its a no brainer, get the ones you like :)

I went back and re-read OP. ok, the falkens at $268, that is ~$68 per tire more, or ~$272 more??? that really starts to add up and I would not splurge for the falkens at that cost. fact is all these tires are plenty good, and I have the falkens!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Man, when did the Falken Wildpeak get expensive? when I got them they were actually one of the cheaper priced options.

yeah, I think they got so popular at least partially due to the price, but maybe now that they have a good reputation they increased the price?

·
Well then...
1,077 Posts
I’ve ran wild peaks on a Jeep, they were good. I can’t speak to the others. In your price point, it’s like asking if you should get a Silverado, F150 or Ram 1500. They’re all within reach of each other in each category. I’d just go with the best deal you can find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran wildpeaks on my trooper in a 285/75 r16 and loved them! This was a couple of years ago, then they were the less expensive option. Nonetheless, they were just as quiet as the normal radials my trooper had before and they were awesome off-road. I mostly drove trails in Northern Michigan, so not the most hardcore off-roading but the tires were great!

I currently have open country at3s on my 06 Xterra in a 235/85 r16. I haven't done much with them yet as I only got them a couple weeks ago but they seem comparable to the wildpeaks.

Both are severe snow service rated. As said before there probably isn't really a bad option here.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Following with interest

1 - 18 of 18 Posts