Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to purchase a travel trailer and the X will be my tow vehicle. I'd like to add the rear bumper and tire carrier but am concerned about being able to open the rear hatch while hitched. If anyone has towed with this configuration could you let me know if you were able to swing open the tire carrier while connected to the trailer? Thanks.

·
on line
358 Posts
I don't have a Shrock rear, or front either, but I would think that you will be using a hitch (draw bar) with a drop. There for there should not be any interferience problem. The tongue should be low. Unless... the trailer has a realy high tongue. I have two trailers and they both have about the same height tongue. I have the top of the hitch ball set at 17" off the ground. What kind of trailer are you looking at? Some of the "off Road" tent campers can have a higher tongue. I would go and measure the height of the trailer you are looking at. The only thing that may interfere could be the tongue jack if it is not a folding type. I hope this helps.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gerdo,
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at a hybrid travel trailer. The tongue shouldn't be a problem it's the jack that I'm worried about. I guess that I could always look into a fold on power version.

·
on line
551 Posts
What you need is the length of the tire carrier (how far it will swing out) and the length of the tongue to the propane bottles. Personally I think It will be a tight fit and could go either way. I had the same problem with a Bronco with the tire carrier, didn't work, but with a rear window that went down, it didn't matter. With our Suburban with barn doors, not a problem.

·
on line
358 Posts
Oh , I forgot that you will need to swing the tire first before you can open the hatch. I would doubt that there is enough room to swing it. You can measure the distance, on the same model at the traiter dealer, and guesstimate the length of the tire carrier swing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts