Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son wants to trailer his Jeep with my X. I know the capacity is 5000 pounds and the Jeep probably weighs in at 3500 less trailer. Not sure how much a trailer capable of hauling the Jeep would weigh, but I bet the combined total will be close to 5000 lbs. Will this be safe for a 3 hour drive up to the mountains? Or would we do better to just use a tow bar and let the Jeep free wheel? Looking for the safest technique that won't tax the X too much.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
If it's a wranlger, TJ stock comes in at 3300lbs, YJ is around 3000lbs. Any added bumpers bigger axles (dana 30 and 35 are weak) obviously added wieght.

I think you would rather trailer it than flat tow it. Not sure how much the trailer weight would be but in the moutains I think you would want trailer brakes for sure.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx, this is about what I figured. It's an '03 TJ w/ Dana 44 rear, Ox rear locker, Rubicon Express 5.5" suspension lift, Old Man Emu shocks and steering damper, tail shaft conversion w/ slip joint eliminator, 35" BFG MT's, American Racing black steel wheels, Warn f/r bumpers w/ swing away tire mount (spare same as on all 4 corners), Warn winch w/ wire cable (no nylon cable yet), rear seat removed and full trail roll cage, regeared to keep up w/ the big tires. I figured 3500 lbs. w/ all this stuff, maybe slightly heavier. So if we keep the trailer to under 1500, then we don't exceed max towing, but is pulling 5K #'s likely to cause any strain/excessive wear if we drive sanely? Appreciate comments here. Don't want my X to suffer for the sake of saving highway miles on the Jeep. It seems to break down frequently on his 250 mile trips between home and college. Around down the thing seems happy, but 3 hours at Interstate speed always seems to crap something out (recent breakdowns include x-fer case, driveshaft bearings, etc.). I think it is too modified for an everday drive, except for short around town jaunts, but the Interstate is definitely out.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i'd say the bumpers are giving you 200 lbs extra plus the larger tires and the larger spare are adding some more wieght. The 44 is a lot beefier than the 35.

I would say heavier than 3500, but thats just a guess.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have been tossing around this same question. My Rubi had similar specs just different makes. I am guessing that mine is over 3500 as the stock weight of a rubi is real close to 3500 already and the additoon of 35's, front and rear bumper with tire carrier, flat skid, 6" LA lift and winch probably adds at minimum 500 lbs (I don't have a full cage yet). Most trailers that will be big enough to haul it would be easily 1500lbs.

But yes, a lifted jeep on 35's is not fun to drive on the highway.

·
on line
210 Posts
I've towed my friend CJ (±3,800#) with tow bars more than once without any problems.
Just make sure that the steering wheel stays unlock and put a bungee cord on the steering wheel to help the self centering after a turn...
Adjust your driving speed and take in count the extra weight for braking distance.

The X can handle it as long as the one sitting behind the wheel know what he is doing...

·
on line
4 Posts
I would bet almost anything that the X is capable of towing over 5,500 lbs. I'm pretty sure Nissan wouldn't put the actual towing capacity. So, with that assumption, if you were to stay at or less than 5,000 lbs. you'd be fine.

·
on line
335 Posts
the drive train will be fine...remember, the frontier with pretty much the exact same drive train is rated for 6,500....the wheelbase is the limiter. not sure how stable everything is (i don't do that much towing) but mechanically, you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts