Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any towing with a full set of Shrock skids. They seem to block quite a bit air flow. I am worried about diffs, T-case or tranny over heating.

Should I worry about this? what do you guys think..

Thanks
Dom

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I've towed my quad trailer only locally since getting my skids. The total weight of loaded trailer is approx. 2,500 lbs. So far, I haven't had any problems with overheating. I guess the real test will be when I tow my qauds up to the mountains next month.

Both diffs, the tranny, and the t-case are now running synthetic fluids. Supposedly, synthetics help reduce friction which should help keep the operating temps down.

I have read that some people will take their skids off when they tow for long distances.

·
on line
40 Posts
Yesterday I towed a trailer with about 5000 lbs total weight (trailer and firewood) about 40 miles and had no troubles. The clutch did smell a bit when I was backing it up over the curb with surge brakes on the trailer though. I have all under skids minus the gas tank.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, I haven't done much trailer towing with this X, YET--

--I've towed the trailer in my sig, 5oo miles back from Oregon at 600 lbs and several trips ,up to one of my sons, in the hills above NAPA, at 1000 lbs--

--I haven't had any appreciable increase in op temp --

--I'll be doing several trips, in 4wd, at 1/2 mph, starting in April, so we'll see then !!

:geek: :geek: --JIMBO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts