Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those with towing experience. I am in the process of buying a 1936 ford truck 1/2 ton, that is about 450 miles from home one way.
I am wondering, is that something my xterra could safely tow?

I was thinking of using a Uhaul car dolly, which tows with the 2 wheels of the towed vehicle on the road, opposed to the transporter, which is more of a flat bed.
I have an '09 2 wheel drive with a maxterra tire carrier bumper...all and all pretty stock.
If possible to tow, any suggestions/advice?

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yes, the Xterra can tow the Ford, but I'd use the flatbed trailer over the dolly. Those dollies are only rated for vehicles under 4000lbs, and, IIFC, they don't have brakes. I would not recommend towing that much weight for several thousand miles, but 450 is definitely within the capabilities of a stock Xterra.

Remember to keep your speed to 60 or 65 max, give yourself plenty of room between you and anyone in front of you and just take your time.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Agrred, short distance will be fine, if you can get a flatbed type hauler it should have brakes, and will make life easier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also be aware that a car dolly can not be turned sharply: for example doing a three point turn. Though the plates on the dolly the front tires sit on do pivot, it's not a lot.

I towed my 4200 lb FJ40 with a car dolly with my Gen I no problem at all for about 82 miles up and down hills so a Gen II should have little issue with the weight. Make sure the tires on the '36 are in good shape and aired up, its brakes are not locked up or dragging, and there are no bearing noises from the rear axle. Also I would pull the rear drive shaft on it. Most transmissions do not like being towed even in neutral.

·
Registered
499 Posts
When I first saw the title I thought you wanted to tow a 36' truck. I was like WOAH man!

LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts