Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just brought home my 2007 s black manual 4x4 exterra last night...brand new....loving it....anyway my question is: the exterra I bought did not come with a tow package and I am going to install one at the dealer on friday...Is the tow package going to be exactly the same as if it had one origionally???????? Are any components different between the exterras that come with a towing package and the ones that dont????? I know that some trucks have different suspension or gearing between the towing package fitted trucks and the ones without..Is that the case with the exterra??????? Are there any differences whatsoever? minor differences?? Is the spare tire in the same exact spot on all exterras?????????

·
on line
628 Posts
No differences, In most cases the Towing package is added on by a dealership when the vehicle first arrives from the plant. As long as you are getting genuine Nissan parts, your XTERRA will be no different than mine.

Congrats on your new purchase but beware of the Mod bug if you stick around on this forum.

·
on line
62 Posts
I suggest you specify the 7 wire trailer harness as opposed the the 4 wire harness.

It's a lot easier to adapt a 7 wire harness to a 4 wire then it is to adapt 4 wire to 2.

Vince

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im a moron...XTERRA....thats better....anyway so you are telling me that there are two types of options when it comes to the harnesses -a 7 wire and a 4 wire-and that the 7 wire harness is better??? is that right???also is there only one type of towing package that is available on the xterra or are there multiple...i want to make sure he doesnt give me a crappy one...if anyone has a pic of what it should look like that would be awesome...i just want to make sure that i get the standard xterra tow

·
on line
704 Posts
Here is an idea for you. I have not done this myself, so people please correct me if I am wrong.

Towing package is great because it provides you with a recovery point in addition to towing capabilities. I assume it costs several hundred bucks to get it installed. Why not get a Shrock bumper which comes with the towing hookup and then add the rest of the electrical stuff yourself? You can get a bumper for around $400. The bumper will provide higher clearance in the back. The stock towing hitch will bang on the rocks, but then again, you live in NYC so this may not be an issue for you.

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i dont think i am going to get into any serious rock crawling action....i go upstate often and most likely gonna get into some mud and def some snow action...oh and sand for sure when i go fishing in montauk area.....i have to check out the shrockworks website and see what everybodys talking about....my only predicament is that i purchased the truck with the tow package already included in price...and they are going to add it.....i dont think they will be willing to take off money so it would be a loss

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jesus...i really wish i would have seen the shrockworks website before buying the truck..i would have much rather had that rear bumper with hitch than nissans....and they are almost the same price....at least i didnt order bull bars...i was close...i would have been pissed....because for the same price that nissan was asking i could get the shrockworks front bumper with the skid plate attached...that thing is bad ass....do any of these bumpers void warranty??? its funny i was worried about people hitting me parking and stuff...now i dont even care if people hit my bumpers cause when they get bad enough instead of ordering new bumpers from nissan i could just order the stuff from shrockworks and i never have to worry again..

·
on line
62 Posts
digitek said:
yea im a moron...XTERRA....thats better....anyway so you are telling me that there are two types of options when it comes to the harnesses -a 7 wire and a 4 wire-and that the 7 wire harness is better??? is that right???also is there only one type of towing package that is available on the xterra or are there multiple...i want to make sure he doesnt give me a crappy one...if anyone has a pic of what it should look like that would be awesome...i just want to make sure that i get the standard xterra tow
The 7 wire harness gives you the option af towing a trailer with electric brakes.
Although you still need the brake controller and sub-harness (which plugs in to a stock plug in seconds).

If you tow a trailer with a traditional flat-4 wire connector, a 7 to 4 wire adaptor is readily available for less than 10 bucks and plugs into the 7 wire connector.

As far as I know, there is only 1 factory hitch option for the X.

Vince

·
on line
3,285 Posts
On my '06, the original hitch was installed at the factory, and I have a tranny cooler. Not sure if the tranny cooler comes with all Xs, or just ones with the factory tow package. If you are going to tow, I suggest getting a tranny cooler, as it keeps the tranny fluid temp from getting too hot. I believe the 2nd gen Xs have the 7-pin as the only option. 7-pin is much better because you can tow any trailer. With the proper adaptors, you can tow a trailer with 7, 5, or 4-pin connection. The 7-pin has turn/ tail/ electric brakes/ aux (reverse light).

The hitch for my '01 2wd X was installed at the dealer, and it was an aftermarket hitch (drawtite) - not the Nissan one. It still worked fine. The most important thing to make sure is that the hitch you get is a Class III hitch.

·
on line
105 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
On my '06, the original hitch was installed at the factory, and I have a tranny cooler. Not sure if the tranny cooler comes with all Xs, or just ones with the factory tow package.
The transmission cooler is standard on all next gen Xterras

·
on line
371 Posts
Hear me out on this: IF you decide that you want the regular trailer hitch, have the dealer install it!
There have been more than a few individuals on this forum, myself included, that have had loads of trouble with the bolts coming out and re-threading them. I snapped two of them even going in that I knew they were potential trouble. (No, I did not cross-thread them).

They are a pain in the ass. If a dealer attempts it and messes it up, they will be responsible for re-tapping the threads and making the bolts install correctly.

Also, DON'T buy an aftermarket wiring harness. Get the one from the dealership. The aftermarket units will fit, but will not always work. There should be a relay included that allows the parking/trailer lights to come on with the truck's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts