Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am starting the search for a used Off Road with a manual and in silver, I know I want that.

I wanted your opinion on the tow package. I can't imagine ever needing to actually tow anything, so, is there any good reason to hold out for the tow package in my case? Any good reason to have it if I don't plan to tow anything?

Also, since I'm here..... what about the RF stereo and additional airbags?
I found one locally that does NOT have these options and I'm pretty sure I'd like the upgraded stereo rather than having to go and upgrade it myself....what do you guys think? Ditto on the airbags, worth waiting to find one with them?

Thanks a lot!

Tim (first post :) )

P.S. I know I am going to add a nav unit of some sort. So I could add the in dash type and therefore replace the HU of the stereo, but then the speakers are still crappy compared to the RF ones right....?

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Welcome Tim.

I would recommend the tow package. Some benefits come with it that you wouldn't normally think of. Plus, if you do any off roading (since you're getting the OR version) it gives you a rear recovery point.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
if you plan to upgrade to a rear bumper/tire carrier immediately I would forgo the tow hitch.
Also there were some "sensitivity" probs w/ the side airbags early on, I think thgat's been fixed. I'd put more effort into finding the type of transmission I was looking for..
Welcome to this site

ETA- I'm more than happy w/ the 6 disc RF system.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
If you plan to off road your X then having the tow package comes in handy as it gives you an attachment point on the rear of the X for recovers (ie getting yourself towed out of a stuck) something it otherwise lacks. Skip it if you plan to upgrade with a Shrockworks rear bumper as it has built in tow points.

The RF stereo is pretty good, better then the base model so if you don't plan on upgrading get this, though I think the Rockford F. system is standard on the OR edition. (in Canada it is) I might be wrong but if the used OR that you're looking at doesn't have the RF, factory skidplates and the locking rear diff you might have a S model with an OR badge on it...

Some like the extra protection of more airbags some say it can be an issue offroading as hard wheeling can set off the bags...I defer to those with more knowledge on this subj.

Hope that helps some with your decision.

·
on line
874 Posts
here is the thing....if you can get them the "throw it in" its worth it, but if your going to get in to serious off roading you want a schrockworks bumber with the hitch built in.
secondly how often do you tow? if ya got nothing to tow, and the dealer is gonna make you pay for it it then its not worth it....
take me for example, I got a 2007 S 4x4, I paid 22,000 for it and had them put the tow package on at no extra charge

as for the air bags, to each thier own...I dont have it becasue i dont want the expence of having them set off in a minor collision and dishing out $1500 per ABM(air bag module)...I know thats what i have insurance for but still, the more it cost to fix the more my premium will go up, I am not saying my life is not worth it, but we are higher and IMHO side air bags were designed for smaller cars taht get hit higher up by larger vehicles like ours, theres not to many things higher than us that would hit the window area....

·
on line
1,081 Posts
I decided to get the tow package even though I don't really have anything to tow. You just never know when the hitch is going to come in handy, ya know? As far as the RF stereo upgrade goes, I decided to skip it due to the cost. IIRC it was a ~$1800 upgrade and I'm not really that concerned about the quality of the stereo. That said the stock stereo sucks. If you're even remotely serious about your music then go for it. As far as airbags go, I'm going to make my best effort to avoid using them. Hell, I don't even know if I have them or not.

·
on line
874 Posts
look on the side pillars, A B and C if you see a logo on any of those you have it...if not you dont...

there is one way to test it, but its expnesive!

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So they can add the tow package? Expensive?

I do want to offroad for sure, but my style of off-roading is to get to the cool places I otherwise wouldnt be able to get to(camping, fishing, hiking, exploring). In other words I don't really care about wheeling just for the sake of wheeling......unless I'm camping and have had too many beers.....but anyway.

I do not plan on upgrading any bumbers....

Does the RF stereo include better speakers as well or just the HU?

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, last question while I'm at it....

How's the price for this Xterra..... '06, 12,500 miles, and at a dealer (need to trade in old car). They have it listed at $22,888. Is this good, bad, close? What should I shoot for if I go for this one?

·
on line
853 Posts
If you do plan to do any off road driving (even fire road type stuff) a rear recovery/tow point is a good idea. If you don't plan to get an aftermarket rear bumper the tow hitch is the best way to do that.

I went out of my way to find an X with side airbags (that's the main reason I'm stuck with a black one). Mine's an 05 that has spent almost as much time off the road as it has on, including some fairly rough trails at times. No problems with the airbags.

·
on line
707 Posts
Tim Currie said:
Ok, what's a good deal... through the dealer?
I know here at least you could get a new one for invoice or just a few hundred dollars over (costco deal, internet manager etc) and I think the rebate right now is $2500. So a 2008 off road manual minus any xtra options invoice is 25,524-2500 rebate, so even say 26000-2500 gives you an 08 for only a few hundred more than the 06 you are looking at.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I have an '06 OR 4x4 (Auto) with the tow package, the RF HU, the extra airbags.

The tow package is great for the reasons listed by everyone else. It is also good for carrying mountain bikes, or a dirt bike, or a cargo carrier. Some people have even mounted their spare tire to the tow hitch. One thing that people haven't mentioned about the tow package is the wiring harness. If you decide against the tow package, and then want to add a hitch / shrockworks bumper, you will need to buy the wiring harness for towing.

I really like the RF HU. IMHO, it blows away the cheesy Nissan stereo. One thing to be wary of: the '05 and '06 did not come with an IPOD jack. You will have to add and Auxillary input (like the one from PAC).

The extra airbags were not something that I was specifically shopping for, but I am glad I have them. I've wheeled quite a bit and haven't had the airbags deploy yet. That being said, there are a few people who have had this happen.

Be careful about the OR, not all ORs are 4x4. In '06 (and possibly '05), Nissan actually made some 2wd ORs. I believe they discontinued this for '07.

As for your question about the price of a used '06, it would be helpful to know some more information (i.e. equipment and options). It does seem a little high though - even considering the low miles.

·
on line
184 Posts
You can add a tow "package" yourself for less than $200 and a couple of hours in the driveway. Buy the hitch from e-trailer and the light harness from dealer....

·
on line
552 Posts
Cruiser said:
Yeah, you should really consider a new one. I bought my '08 OR for $26,101 before the $2500 customer cash. Too good a deal to pass up for me.
Killer deal! :compress:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts