Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my 07 Xterra S a little over a week ago and just realized yesterday it only has 1 tow hook...is this how it comes, or am i missing one?...thanks

·
on line
82 Posts
There are threads nuts in the frame for another hook. Mine are beginning to rust. The nuts are really weird thread size. Size 12mm with 1.25 extra fine metric threads, and in 45 mm length.

I looked all over for hard metric bolts in this configuration. I can't find it on-line and been to 4 stores here in town. I can't find anyone who makes the extra fine thread 12mmx1.25 in the hard metric 10.9, which is the equivalent to grade 8 bolts.

Maybe I am not looking in the right spot. If someone has more information please let me know.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Bruzer said:
There are threads nuts in the frame for another hook. Mine are beginning to rust. The nuts are really weird thread size. Size 12mm with 1.25 extra fine metric threads, and in 45 mm length.

I looked all over for hard metric bolts in this configuration. I can't find it on-line and been to 4 stores here in town. I can't find anyone who makes the extra fine thread 12mmx1.25 in the hard metric 10.9, which is the equivalent to grade 8 bolts.

Maybe I am not looking in the right spot. If someone has more information please let me know.
The closest I could find...http://www.mcmaster.com/ Part #'s 96144A297 or 96144A303.

·
on line
331 Posts
Is there a reason you could not go to a dealer and buy one to mount on the other side?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Even if you guys find bolts, what are you going to use as a hook?

No, you can't swap sides, there is an odd bend in the mount.

·
on line
853 Posts
Yeah, we've been through this one a few times now already. Unfortunately, the factory hook won't work on the other side, and there does not seem to be any other hook out there that has the proper spacing between the bolt holes. If you're looking for an alternate recovery point it seems we are pretty much out of luck until someone finds a hook with the proper spacing and no goofy offset.

At least one previous poster just wanted a second spot to use as a tie-down for canoes or kayaks. If that is what you are after, there should be some ring type thingys you can find to bolt into that hole in the frame. A grade-8.8 metric bolt would probably suffice for that, Napa has them in the correct size.

·
on line
82 Posts
muzikman said:

I realized that you can't swap sides when I took my hook off. However, I do think I would be able to come up with some kind of metal bar with a hole drilled (or cut) for a D ring. It would hang straight down and be more flexible than the factory tow hook.

I saw the 8.8 at Napa but that is equivalent to Grade 5 in standard bolts.

From the Bolt FAQ:
Class 8.8 is approximately equivalent to SAE J429 Grade 5 and ASTM A449
Class 10.9 is approximately equivalent to SAE J429 Grade 8 and ASTM A354 Grade BD
For information there is no direct inch equivalent to the metric 12.9 property class.

Thanks for the link on the Socket Head Cap Screw. I would like to take a look at those. I was going to settle on the Factory bolts but I was not sure their strength. These 12.9 bolts look promising.

Has anyone ordered from this web site before?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Bruzer said:
muzikman said:

I realized that you can't swap sides when I took my hook off. However, I do think I would be able to come up with some kind of metal bar with a hole drilled (or cut) for a D ring. It would hang straight down and be more flexible than the factory tow hook.

I saw the 8.8 at Napa but that is equivalent to Grade 5 in standard bolts.

From the Bolt FAQ:
Class 8.8 is approximately equivalent to SAE J429 Grade 5 and ASTM A449
Class 10.9 is approximately equivalent to SAE J429 Grade 8 and ASTM A354 Grade BD
For information there is no direct inch equivalent to the metric 12.9 property class.

Thanks for the link on the Socket Head Cap Screw. I would like to take a look at those. I was going to settle on the Factory bolts but I was not sure their strength. These 12.9 bolts look promising.

Has anyone ordered from this web site before?
I use McMaster for work all the time. You can order through them without a corporate account also. I have never had any problems with their products or service.

·
on line
82 Posts
JAdams said:
[
I use McMaster for work all the time. You can order through them without a corporate account also. I have never had any problems with their products or service.
Thanks for the link. I ordered part number 96144A303. The order came in 2 days, fast delivery and great communication from the company!

I got 10 bolts in the original box of 50 that they purchased the bolts in. The bolts are black and fit right and were the proper length. Since they are 12.9 I am not worried about using them on a recovery point. The heads stick out more than normal bolts, but these bolt into the frame which is higher than the radiator and skid plate.

Since I don't have a shrockworks bumper I still need the hook as a recovery point. I realize people with the bumper use D rings in the bumper as recovery points. Do people with the shrockworks bumper still use the hook or does the bumper use those mounting holes?

·
on line
641 Posts
Bruzer said:
Since I don't have a shrockworks bumper I still need the hook as a recovery point. I realize people with the bumper use D rings in the bumper as recovery points. Do people with the shrockworks bumper still use the hook or does the bumper use those mounting holes?
The factory tow hook gets removed as part of the Shrock front bumper install.

·
on line
14 Posts
Bruzer said:
Thanks for the link. I ordered part number 96144A303. The order came in 2 days, fast delivery and great communication from the company!
One time I ordered from them in the morning from work and the part was at my doorstep when I got home that day! I guess they had a local distribution point in town and it got out on the daily delivery truck. Pretty funny.

By the way, I'd like to see a write-up on how to home-make a second recovery point.

Pardon my new-ness, but is there a rear recovery hook?

Scott

·
on line
1,017 Posts
I know this has been brought up before but I can't remember...Can the driver side tow hook from the Pathfinder or Armada fit?? THere is one in my apartment complex and it look similar and I thought that they were pretty much similar trucks so would it work??? anyone try?

·
on line
1 Posts
Missing Tow Hook

When I first got my X, I noticed I only had one Tow hook and I thought they forgot to put it on. My husband has a Titan and it had 2 tow hooks, so it never occured to me they would only give you one! Somehow it doesn't make sense. The hooks on the Titan and X look similar to me.

·
on line
168 Posts
I posted one a long time ago, Subject was "Am I missing something?". My 05 has only one front hook. There are holes tapped into the frame on the driver side for another hook. Seems the Titan or Frontier has a driver side hook.

I have never had to use the front hook. The rear hitch was used as a recovery when I buried her up to the frame in slimy mud.

·
on line
152 Posts
if this site is correct the Frontier has two tow hooks and they should be the same since the part numbers are the same.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasi...f-floor/500-frame/-c-1244_1245_1351_1352.html

For the Frontier the tow hook part numbers are 51110P(RH) and 51110PA(LH). This matches the Xterra as it shows it only has one hook with part number 51110P.[/url]

Its $41.05 on that site but im sure its possible to find one for cheaper or even in a junk yard somewhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts