Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 08 X with no tow hitch. I was just getting ready to order a Factory style hitch for it when I went wheeling for the first time at the weekend. I managed to destroy the rear license plate frame that hung a little below the rear bumper. This tells me I would beat the heck out of a factory hitch.

Now I have to rethink, I know about the Hefty/Shrock/ARB bumper options but I was wondering if there was anything else. One thought is the current factory hitch that fits up in the rear bumper. would that hitch and bumper fit my 08? Or, are there any other options out there I don't know about?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will second the Maxterra bumper. Very well built and great service. It has a cut out for the factory 7 pin wiring. Keeps everything up and out of the way.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
if you don't want the hitch that hangs down the Maxterra is definetly one of the best looking and functional options. Saying that, if you smack the hitch on something it wont break like the license plate frame did since it is steel and bolted to the frame. I have the Curt hitch and could lift the truck up with it.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm bumped and dragged my hitch on a bunch of rocks and not had any issue besides bending the harness mount, but that can be moved easy if you wire it up.

I'm sure my hitch has saved my bumper a few times, I'd rather drag it over something than the bumper. Of course the flip side is it would be higher so might not have hit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I've emailed Maxterra this morning for pricing.

The problem I'd have with the Curt hitch is that it would be dragging. I was running some trails that were considered mild to moderate and I was scraping the bottoms of both bumpers.

I'm still interested in the late model factory hitch though, I guess I need to find one and do some measuring.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks all, I've emailed Maxterra this morning for pricing.

The problem I'd have with the Curt hitch is that it would be dragging. I was running some trails that were considered mild to moderate and I was scraping the bottoms of both bumpers.

I'm still interested in the late model factory hitch though, I guess I need to find one and do some measuring.
Are you lifted?

·
Registered
385 Posts
While I really like my Shrock front bumper I didn't like their rear bumper. Major issue was the trailer wiring socket. It's not in a convenient location. My small boat trailer needs to be unplugged before backing down into the water. Since it's under a duck boat most launches are made in the dark and often with snow and or mud around in decent quantity. The Maxterra bumper positions it right at working level - set up right for working in the dark and poor conditions. Second, the license plate set up, I was more comfortable with Maxterra design although I admit you could upgrade the Shrock easily enough. I also took advantage of the back up light option not offered on the shrock.

I tow - three different boats - much more than I "off road" and all the issues above are based strictly on towing. Just like I wouldn't give a second thought to a spare tire carrier since I wouldn't have access to the back with trailer attached. (Note: this isn't the trailer that needs to be unplugged)

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts