Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tow hitch for the Xterra off of another Xterra owner (Scott, muchas Gracias) a few weeks ago. Towing is important but almost more importantly we needed a rear recovery point on the vehicle.

Long story short it took 3 unsuccessful attempts at getting that thing installed. It should have taken 15 minutes MAX but this one bolt would not budge. I eventually took it into Tynan's Nissan and they cracked it with a big impact wrench for a couple minutes. We got this...

Pictures Here

Oh ya baby. Gotta love the 5 man-hour hitch install.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Odd.

You should be able to get the correct grade 8 (or 10.9 in metric) bolt at the local hardware store (local place, not a Home Depot). Napa also has a nice selection of bolts.

What I would be worried about is what does the welded nut on the inside of the frame look like?

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muzikman said:
Odd.

You should be able to get the correct grade 8 (or 10.9 in metric) bolt at the local hardware store (local place, not a Home Depot). Napa also has a nice selection of bolts.

What I would be worried about is what does the welded nut on the inside of the frame look like?
I actually put one of the other bolts into that spot and it went pretty well, shockingly.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
this might be a stupid question, but here it goes. I was also thinking of getting a hitch which one do I get Class II or a class III?soryy if this is a stupid question but I still considermy self a noob.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
miles said:
this might be a stupid question, but here it goes. I was also thinking of getting a hitch which one do I get Class II or a class III?soryy if this is a stupid question but I still considermy self a noob.
Its not a dumb question, I wondered the same thing when I was new to hitches. Get a class III.
HERE IT IS.
It will handle anything you can tow with the X. Also make sure you buy the actual NISSAN wireing harness. Your X is pre wired, all you have to do is connect 2 clips and hook up 2 or 3 relays. SO simple with the provided instructions.
HERE IT IS.
Plus it only cost about $55. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SEVEN PIN!! That way you have flexibility for what your towing. :D

Get the harness from your local nissan dealer. Or from above.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
lowayne said:
miles said:
thanks for that info...
You can get a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter also.
Yeah thats why I said to get the 7 pin, auto zone has the 7to4 adapters for about 7 bucks.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I haven't seen a bolt strip in the middle either. When I put on my Shrock rear bumper, one of the bolts was hard to turn. I actually had to run a tap into the threads (of the nut) to clean them out. After that, the bolt went in easy and tightened up well.

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZ-Ted said:
I haven't seen a bolt strip in the middle either. When I put on my Shrockworks rear bumper, one of the bolts was hard to turn. I actually had to run a tap into the threads (of the nut) to clean them out. After that, the bolt went in easy and tightened up well.
Did you use a tapping kit? The dealer tried to use one on my 'nut' but didn't have any large enough. Fortunately the 'nut' was fine when I put another bolt into it.

I guess I am asking what kind of tap you used that fit.

·
on line
254 Posts
Tap is a M12 x 1.25 spiral point, it isn't a blind hole so nothing special. You can do it with a Crescent Wrench. Go slow and back out and start over when it gets harder to turn. A little oil helps. One of mine took almost 20 minutes to do it was so messed up but I was being extra careful not to break it off the weld in the frame.

·
on line
371 Posts
Man, I wasn't surprised to see that. When I installed my hitch, those bolts were an unbelievable nightmare. I snapped (yes, snapped) one getting it out and stripped another getting it in. Seemed like it was going in fine and then tightened up severely half-way in. Trying to back it out only made things worse.

The hitch is on securely, but one of the bolts is not there. not worried since I don't haul anything super heavy, but I am bothered by it a little.

But yes, the 15 minute job turned into several hours of cussing and frustration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts