Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating between a new camera body or tires. Neither are needed. Its really just wanting to upgrade the stock tires or upgrade my older camera body. best part is they both cost the same so what would you guys do?

P.S. I have all the glass I want so really the body is the last thing to upgrade

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
...a new camera body or tires...
That's a good question, but unless you're willing to buy tires for significantly more than I normally pay you're only comparing it to entry level camera bodies and in that case any are pretty much ok. Background: I bought a T2i kit years ago when the kids were taking photography classes in high school, and a couple buddies at work are so far off the deep end that I occasionally get to play with toys like a 5DSR.

I think for anybody to give you any worthwhile advice we need to know a few things.
1. what camera do you have now?
2. is your idea of a good set of tires >$800?

I tried an original EOS M = PITA POS. I tried a EOS Mv3, marginally better auto focus, less annoying touchscreen dependence. Both are a PITA if you already have lenses, but at least there is an adapter and they all should work. The 20/24 MP is nice though. The T2i is only 18MP.

The 5DSR at 50MP was amazing. Essentially zero chromatic aberration out at the corners. In fairly-tale land I'd have one of these on the biggest equatorial SCT I could manage. You were planning on putting $4k into those tires, right?

Back in the real world I'd say a 6D is the best you could get for about the same as a high end set of tires. Even then it's still a stretch to call it a fair comparison. More like 2 sets of good tires...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good question, but unless you're willing to buy tires for significantly more than I normally pay you're only comparing it to entry level camera bodies and in that case any are pretty much ok. Background: I bought a T2i kit years ago when the kids were taking photography classes in high school, and a couple buddies at work are so far off the deep end that I occasionally get to play with toys like a 5DSR.

I think for anybody to give you any worthwhile advice we need to know a few things.
1. what camera do you have now?
2. is your idea of a good set of tires >$800?

I tried an original EOS M = PITA POS. I tried a EOS Mv3, marginally better auto focus, less annoying touchscreen dependence. Both are a PITA if you already have lenses, but at least there is an adapter and they all should work. The 20/24 MP is nice though. The T2i is only 18MP.

The 5DSR at 50MP was amazing. Essentially zero chromatic aberration out at the corners. In fairly-tale land I'd have one of these on the biggest equatorial SCT I could manage. You were planning on putting $4k into those tires, right?

Back in the real world I'd say a 6D is the best you could get for about the same as a high end set of tires. Even then it's still a stretch to call it a fair comparison. More like 2 sets of good tires...
So my current body is a T3i I got new a few years ago and along the way i just followed the advice of just getting lenses instead of upgrading the body. I mainly shoot landscape, astrophotography and some sports (Mountain biking). I was looking at getting the 70D which body alone it at $999 or 285/75/16s BFG KO2 which are like $968. The main reason i really want to upgrade the body is for the better auto focus and faster FPS. I know Image quality i probably won't tell a difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tough Choice need help from fellow photographers

What brand? Canon's new 7D Mk2 is looking pretty sweet.

I just upgraded to the 7Dmk2 this past summer - love this camera. The 7Dmk2 is great for action photography. The autofocus and continuous shot mode are top notch - which is why I bought the camera, having active kids. For still photography (landscape / portrait) there may be better choices (in terms of absolute performance and / or value).

If you're shopping Canon or Nikon, check out www.kenrockwell.com if you haven't yet. He's got great information - and gives great real world reviews.

This is a tough choice. Both camera and tires will get a lot of use, and are highly personal choices.

Edit: I also recommend B&H Photography if your shopping for any photo needs. I've purchased a few lenses, my last body, and several accessories there. Always get great service and great prices.

Speaking to a point made above - why do you want to upgrade the camera body? Better MP won't necessarily yield better photos (which I'm assuming you know based on your comment re: having "all the glass you want"). Better ergos, autofocus, "brains" (aka processor), low light performance, etc are typically the reason for upgrading. Answering this question might help your decision making.

If "new and shiny" is the upgrade reason, I'd lean towards new tires personally. Any technical reason to upgrade the camera, is exactly that, and I personally would lean that direction over tires that are still serviceable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As others have said it is all about the glass. I am still rocking a Canon Rebel XS and just purchased a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and fell in love with the camera all over.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
As others have said it is all about the glass. I am still rocking a Canon Rebel XS and just purchased a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and fell in love with the camera all over.
I've been rocking the XS for a long time now. My favorite lens is still my thrifty fifty. (f1.8)

I think it comes down to: are you going to wheel or are you going to take pictures? If my tires were perfectly okay, I'd spring for the 70D in a heartbeat at that pricepoint. Plus, I've heard pretty good reviews about the 70D.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've found a great resource for very lightly used high end camera equipment is local colleges and university's.
New photography students often buy brand new high end cameras then change majors and it all goes in a box.

Put a wanted ad up in the cafeteria and library for the camera body or lens type your looking for.

Might be surprised at what you find.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Depends ?

How good are your tires and where do you go? What kind of price of price point are you looking for.?

I ran Stock White X for a long time and purchased a nice idiot camera!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
ghostrider
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing