Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the complaints about paint chips or stupid people keying vehicles etc.

I was hoping someone could give a how to on repairing paint. I search around and could not find any. I have a rock ding with a little rust that I need to repair and here are my questions.

Whats the best way to remove the rust from a bb size ding?

Once the rust if gone do I just cover it with touch up paint, in very thin layers letting each layer dry for a while?

What is best to buff and shine with after you are finished?

Any rubbing compound to get out small blemishes that you think works best?

TIA

·
on line
143 Posts
If you find a rock chip with rust, you waited a little too long to offer attention...BUT, to proceed, use at least some 1500 or finer wet sand paper to remove the rust in the "pocket". After you clear the rust, yes touch-up paint is your choice. You are on the right track by indicating thin layers or just a little dab at a time and allowing sufficient drying time in between layers. After a good couple of days for the "dab" to completely dry, you can color sand the area(wrap the paper around a paint stick to keep it rigid and straight) about an inch or two above/below the area and buff with professional Compound, professional buffing/polishing pad on a Grinder/polisher. Move on up to polishing compounds like Finesse-it II...3M products are worth the cost and offer a quality result..

Here is a link to look at some of these products and others..

http://www.3m.com/intl/ph/transportation/vehicle.htm

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xterraclamper said:
If you find a rock chip with rust, you waited a little too long to offer attention...
Yeah, I haven't hand washed it in a while and just noticed it this weekend. The rust isn't too bad, more like discoloration but it's still rust.

·
on line
56 Posts
i was driving down the street and saw this kid throwing a rock and was hoping it would go right over passing cars, but nope, it hit my right side passenger door. CHIPPED!!! I made a u-turn but the kid broke out quickly. Sucks for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts