Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So running out to pick up dinner tonight I was rear ended while slowing down to make a left hand turn. Of course we were about to leave on a nice beach vacation in all of 5 days. The X is still very much drive-able but the area where the bumper is is definitely bent. My fear is that since there’s frame damage the insurance company will just total it out. I literally JUST finished my build and was planning on keeping the X for YEARS. Anyone have any thoughts on if this would total it out or are we looking at a reasonable fix?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would go for a drive on a straight and flat piece of road and see if you have a pull that will indicate possible frame twist. Any issues getting the doors closed?
Check if insurance will get you a vehicle for holiday. 10 year old vehicle IMO insurance is going to total. Maybe able to buy back for pretty cheap

·
Registered
50 Posts
It’s fixable. Hard to see exactly how bad but I think a frame shop would make short work of it. What the insurance company will do is a different story, but hopefully you can negotiate a good deal, get it fixed and come away with an off road bumper and some cash.....though a lot of inconvenience.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hopefully all the damage is behind the rear axle.

If two of the four tires are still on the ground, a good frame shop can make repairs.

The cost is always a limiting factor.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's cosmetic? Not a drive ability issue unless you plan on using a trailer!? Big difference if you get a payout and keep as a daily driver.
Correct but I do tow occasionally and use a hitch mounted carrier from time to time.

I am also questioning the estimate now. The shop that looked at it quoted $3500 for replacing an entire frame, bumper and hitch. Does that sound right? That seems pretty low to me.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Frame.
This Fits Your 2014 Nissan Xterra S 4.0L V6 AT 4WD

Part Number: 50100-ZS08C
Supersession(s): 50100-ZS30A; 50100ZS08C

price range $2469-$4199 depending if the dealership is asking full msrp or discounts this price.

low price was Hyman Bros Nissan

I have no knowledge of this dealership other than what was learned from a Google search

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldn't
Frame.
This Fits Your 2014 Nissan Xterra S 4.0L V6 AT 4WD

Part Number: 50100-ZS08C
Supersession(s): 50100-ZS30A; 50100ZS08C

price range $2469-$4199 depending if the dealership is asking full msrp or discounts this price.

low price was Hyman Bros Nissan

I have no knowledge of this dealership other than what was learned from a Google search
Well that gives the price of the frame minus the new hitch of say $250. Now the Question of how much for labor and I know that a professional chop shops are amazing at stripping but putting back together again with alignment etc etc and more than a handful of new parts?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would see about a second opinion. Shop may be hungry as covid has reduced car travel and accidents. My insurance sent me more than 10% back and last renewal (6-15)dropped more than that

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve reach out to the only body shop I trust in the area (unfortunately they don’t touch frames) and they unequivocally said it’s totaled.

The appraiser said that the new frame would be $312 (no I didn’t miss a digit) from a yard. A second hand frame has further concerns for me (could be bent, rust, etc.) and as you said removing parts is one thing but putting them back the right way is another.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ok, Now is the time to start researching a true value of your Xterra.

Take into account mileage and upgrades .

Make sure if the insurance company wishes to total your ride that your receiving a fair deal.

You dont have to accept what is given and can ask to challenge the value assessed.

Reactions: Bioburner

·
Registered
335 Posts
Most of the vehicles of this vintage are in the yard from being wrecked that I have seen. Member from murder capitol sold his X that the engine blew its head gasket sold his for $1k :(

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, Now is the time to start researching a true value of your Xterra.

Take into account mileage and upgrades .

Make sure if the insurance company wishes to total your ride that your receiving a fair deal.

You dont have to accept what is given and can ask to challenge the value assessed.
I’ve been doing that. Realistically $9-10k seems reasonable in my mind. I’d be pulling all the aftermarket stuff and moving it over.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
777 Posts
Sorry to hear; especially since you've been working hard on the build and with a vacation around the corner.

Please keep us updated throughout the process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts