Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just start by thanking one of our fellow forum members for saving my ass with an extra UCA bolt that he just happened to have laying in his truck.

Anyway, an FJ, another Xterra, and myself were on a weekend expedition when a bolt holding my passenger side Total Chaos UCA either sheered or fell out.

Immediately, my alignment went crazy and there was loud angry noises from my truck over every bump. The driver behind me yelled over the radio that my tire was absurdly crooked and told me to stop.

We all stop, and find this...

If I hadn't gotten a replacement bolt we'd have had to leave my truck in the backcountry. We'd have been back before dark with a new bolt but driving out with a half-repaired front end wasn't an option.
The repair was completed quickly and we were back in business in no time.

This morning, I called Greg at PRG and explained the issue. Let me commend Greg on his customer service. The dude knows how to take care of his customers. He said he'd send me replacement bolts and bushings free of charge.

I think the lesson of the story is to carry replacements for as many breakable components as you can, always carry a Hi-Lift jack, and know your vehicle inside and out if you venture into the backcountry.

Also, to the rest of you with PRG front ends, I suggest replacing your UCA bolts with longer grade 8's and locking nuts. The stock hardware we're supposed to use for the TC UCA's does not cut it.

Disclaimer: The beer on the bumper was the only one consumed on the trail. Don't get the wrong idea.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The stock bolts were not Grade 8 (or 10.9)?

That is shocking.

Also, I don't know what size it is, but I have used ratchet extensions in place of bolts.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me just reply by first stating that I was prepared for just about anything to go wrong, aside from losing a bolt on my UCAs, which was totally unexpected.
In the admin section, there's a broken off section from this thread, full of insults from one person to me about being ill-prepared. It's distasteful and out of line for someone to accuse without full knowledge about someone else's skill off-road or preparedness.

Muzikman said:
Hey Syndicate...are those Montrail Hurricane Ridge's I see on your feet?
Lol, dude... you're either a shoe salesman or that's one hell of a good memory and you're into good footwear.

norshor said:
That sucks. Thanks for the heads up. Is that a beer on your bumper?
Stella Artoi... The situation called for a fine beer. What can I say.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzikman said:
The stock bolts were not Grade 8 (or 10.9)?

That is shocking.

Also, I don't know what size it is, but I have used ratchet extensions in place of bolts.
To be honest, I'm sure the stock bolts are grade 8 or higher. They don't however feature a locking nut. They also only leave you with only ~1/4" of exposed thread.

Also, yeah, could have used a ratchet extension but there was many miles of rugged trail, from 12K' back down to 4K'. Limping out with a jimmy-rigged front end wasn't an option. It was a bolt or nothing.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
a nice beer on the bumper and then a stock jack laying on the floor.... that picture is so funny to me. :) lol

·
on line
15,651 Posts
syndicate said:
Muzikman said:
Hey Syndicate...are those Montrail Hurricane Ridge's I see on your feet?
Lol, dude... you're either a shoe salesman or that's one hell of a good memory and you're into good footwear.
I have had four pair. :) I love em. I am actually looking for a new pair, but no one local stocks them. I bought another model trail runner from Montrail (honestly can't remember what they are called) and don't like them.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You would be shocked at how well a socket extension would hold up. I would rather use it than leave my X in the middle of no where. But then again, around here, you leave your vehicle in the woods after dark and the first person who comes across it, torches it...yes, I am serious.

I would pull one of the bolts out and see what grade they are. If they are not grade 8, I would replace them. If they are, just buy lock nuts.

If they have a 10.9 on the head of the bolt that is metric equal to grade 8.

If they have 6 marks on the head, they are standard grade 8.

Though, most likely if properly torqued even without being a lock nut, the nut shouldn't have come off. I really wonder if the bolt broke and worked it's way out.

·
on line
463 Posts
Damn Brian !
Sorry to see the damage to your beautiful truck and glad to read you got it up and running again.
I had wondered where and what you had been up to ?
Happy to see you're still about .
Jim B

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Where were you guys wheeling? What size hi-lift are you using? Im gonna be running the same lift very soon. Thanks for the heads up. Ill just ask Greg for extra bolts for those "just in case" situations!!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys!

Yeah, Jim, I've been busy but I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'll be back out with you guys in no time. I missed this last weekend's SCCX run due to commitments for this last run. Hopefully I'll make it to the next one.

Yo Erwin (hope that's spelled correctly). We were wheeling on a trail out of Bishop, about 10miles north of Mt. Whitney. It climbed all the way up to 12K'. Amazingly scenic.

When you get the PRG lift, consider getting the 750lb coils rather than the 650lb coils if you are going to have a Shrockworks bumper.

Also, it's the shorter Hi-Lift that I was using.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I received my replacement parts from Greg today.
He gave me 10.9 grade bolts and a matching lock nut, along with new bushings.
I wish I had those bolts from the beginning.

·
on line
111 Posts
Would something like loctite blue be a good idea? I ask since I'll be installing new control arms soon myself.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Personally I avoid locktite on bolts if I can. I actually go the other way and use a dab of anti-siez. Proper torque and lock nuts will work fine.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just the one... I'm having him send the replacements for the other 3 mounts though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts