Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my Top Gun spacer on last night and it went alright, except for the removal on the upper ball joint. I needed to borrow one of those fork things to slam the bolt off the spindle. Too bad the boot was pinched between the fork and the bolt.

My question is: Should I replace the ball joint now or can I do it later down the road?

Oh, and you need two people to do this job. I had a bitch of a time threading the nut to the ball joint while pushing down the upper control arm to the spindle.
So i guess it was a success if I like the lift, right?

~Dan

·
on line
509 Posts
hahaha I just did this exact same thing, the actual breaking of the ball joint isnt a bad thing because it will stay greased, but its not something you dont want to fix. With the boot broke you can get some play in your tires (from what the guys at the shop said) which could eventually cause damage. As for getting everything back together... before you try and use man power try and think of a way to outsmart the metal, use a jack and other tools like that to help you and the work and frustration is cut by loads

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i definitely used the floor jack and jack stands to help but as i continued to jack up the lower control arm, the X looked like i wanted to fall off the stands.

i had a friend thread the bolt on as i pushed down on the upeer control arm.

also, my check engine light just came on?!
i didnt do anything to the engine!

·
on line
807 Posts
I would suggest replacing it as soon as possible. I have found that once you neglect fixing 1 thing, it seems to wear out other things faster because of excess play.

Also, you don't need one of those pickle fork things or a ball-joint puller to do this, all you have to do it hit the spindle right where it bolts to the ball joint with a big hammer, it will pop right off.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, never use a pickle fork unless you don't want the ball joint any more. What you describe will always happen with one.

You can let it go for a little while, I would just avoid wheeling and dirty places until you get it fixed. Also, take a grease gun with a needle fitting and put as much grease in there as you can on a weekly basis.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
yeah, keep it greased and you probably wont have a problem....

My question is why dont people just unscrew the nut on bottom untill it is even with the bolt it is connected to.... then use a hammer (hitting upwards) to knock the ball joint loose??? Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried hitting the bolt and spindle but i guess not hard enough?

i wish i knew that before i did it, cause i'm sure nissan ball joints arent cheap.

i guess it will be alright as long as someone learns from my mistakes.

·
on line
108 Posts
when i tried installing spacers, i hit the bolt without the nut on and i screwed up some threads, it eventually went back together, but it was scary for a while.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
DanielD said:
when i tried installing spacers, i hit the bolt without the nut on and i screwed up some threads, it eventually went back together, but it was scary for a while.
Ooo, yeah that would have scared me too.... remember when using a hammer you always want to hit as big of a surface as possible so you dont 'mushroom' anything. (shhh, keep this a secret... i did the same thing :iconbiggrin: )

·
on line
423 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
yeah, keep it greased and you probably wont have a problem....

My question is why dont people just unscrew the nut on bottom untill it is even with the bolt it is connected to.... then use a hammer (hitting upwards) to knock the ball joint loose??? Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!
thats the way for sure.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Duct tape is your friend.

Not permanent by any means, but it'll last if you upkeep it. My 98 still has duct tape around the top BJ...I put it there in 2002, just kept squeezing grease in there.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so with this torn ball joint, am i alright to drive like 400 miles on it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts