Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Nissa XTerra S 4x4 Auto
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have what might be a dumb question, but the answers could prove useful to myself and others. I have done a search and have mostly come up with lists of trail survival tools, or specific hand tools to collect, however....

Can you fine folks suggest (links would be awesome) a tool kit that contains what you would consider essential tools to have on hand when off road should the X experience a mechanical failure? I would like to purchase an all-in-one kit to keep in the X full time that would give me the ability to get myself out of a jam if I have a break down.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would put a service manual and education on the top of the list. I have run into folks that don't know which way to turn a bolt. Area tech schools have courses to help
The X has some quirks. Radiator caps on the rad and reservoir are different and that the cooling system is a pain to get the air out of.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hello everyone. I have what might be a dumb question, but the answers could prove useful to myself and others. I have done a search and have mostly come up with lists of trail survival tools, or specific hand tools to collect, however....

Can you fine folks suggest (links would be awesome) a tool kit that contains what you would consider essential tools to have on hand when off road should the X experience a mechanical failure? I would like to purchase an all-in-one kit to keep in the X full time that would give me the ability to get myself out of a jam if I have a break down.

hey! great post, im in the process of trying to lighten my 24/7 load out, as much as i like having pretty much any tool i might need at any time, its not worth the weight/ space costs.

so yeah i havent found a detailed list of just the "necessary" tools for the xterra for trail repairs. thing is how do you define "necessary" or essential. Im not going to be replacing a bearing or axle out there, so lots of the big pry bars and large wrenches / sockets probably arent necessary. then again, maybe a larger bolt like a bushing somewhere comes loose and just needs to be tightened?

at this point i've got a pretty full set of metric wrenches and sockets, a meduim ratchet with a mediem breaker bar, and a bunch of random pliers/ other little things. I took out all the fuilds i used to have like oil, trans fuild, PSF, brake fluid, coolant,etc.. I figure, if something starts leaking on the trail, one little bottle of X fluid isnt really going to "fix" it.. might help get alittle further but not much else. plus they are heavy and space consuming.

I do however have a couple replacemetn parts. and want a few more. i have a spare coil pack, spark plug and o2 sensor. the coil pack has left me on the side of the road before, and there are 5 more old ones still in there.. so only a matter of time before another goes i figure, imagine how nice it'd be to swap that out in like 30 minutes on the side of the trail and drive home, vs have to call a tow or go back to town to get x part, assuming they have it.. then get back to the rig on the trail etc etc.

I also want to get spare cam shaft and crankshaft pos sensors. these are a few other bits that can go out and leave you stranded.

so, if you find a good list share it! i may get around to posting one of my own one day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey! great post, im in the process of trying to lighten my 24/7 load out, as much as i like having pretty much any tool i might need at any time, its not worth the weight/ space costs.

so yeah i havent found a detailed list of just the "necessary" tools for the xterra for trail repairs. thing is how do you define "necessary" or essential. Im not going to be replacing a bearing or axle out there, so lots of the big pry bars and large wrenches / sockets probably arent necessary. then again, maybe a larger bolt like a bushing somewhere comes loose and just needs to be tightened?

at this point i've got a pretty full set of metric wrenches and sockets, a meduim ratchet with a mediem breaker bar, and a bunch of random pliers/ other little things. I took out all the fuilds i used to have like oil, trans fuild, PSF, brake fluid, coolant,etc.. I figure, if something starts leaking on the trail, one little bottle of X fluid isnt really going to "fix" it.. might help get alittle further but not much else. plus they are heavy and space consuming.

I do however have a couple replacemetn parts. and want a few more. i have a spare coil pack, spark plug and o2 sensor. the coil pack has left me on the side of the road before, and there are 5 more old ones still in there.. so only a matter of time before another goes i figure, imagine how nice it'd be to swap that out in like 30 minutes on the side of the trail and drive home, vs have to call a tow or go back to town to get x part, assuming they have it.. then get back to the rig on the trail etc etc.

I also want to get spare cam shaft and crankshaft pos sensors. these are a few other bits that can go out and leave you stranded.

so, if you find a good list share it! i may get around to posting one of my own one day.
Great information and I can definitely see how it would all begin taking too much space over time.

I guess long story short is I want to buy a tool kit (hand tools) that would cover a majority of the more common failures of off-roading. And before I buy a kit, I am interested in seeing what other members here have purchased and used themselves.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Great information and I can definitely see how it would all begin taking too much space over time.

I guess long story short is I want to buy a tool kit (hand tools) that would cover a majority of the more common failures of off-roading. And before I buy a kit, I am interested in seeing what other members here have purchased and used themselves.
Metric 3/8 drive socket set, set of metric wrenches, assorted metric screw drivers, metric pliers, metric needle nosed pliers. Crankshaft Positioner sensor, Camshaft positioner sensors, MAF cleaner, and patience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metric 3/8 drive socket set, set of metric wrenches, assorted metric screw drivers, metric pliers, metric needle nosed pliers. Crankshaft Positioner sensor, Camshaft positioner sensors, MAF cleaner, and patience.
Awesome. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Some good info here as well:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good info here as well:

That is one heck of a list!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That is one heck of a list!
Yeah the list in the first post is beyond what most people would carry with them, and includes a lot more than just a tool kit. You can start there and subtract.

Definitely download the factory service manual. We have an ipad mini we use for Gaia that has the FSM downloaded to it.

The problem with the all in one tool kits that you're seeking is that most of them either are cheap crappy tools in a bulky blow molded case, or they're comprehensive mechanics sets, and they'll include more than you need or want to carry. I haven't really seen a premade kit that, to borrow from the Xterra's old marketing, has "everything you need and nothing you don't". So most people just put together their kit themselves.

Some interesting reading here, though this is some expensive stuff because "overland":

You could take a look at this thread and make sure you have the sockets or wrenches to be able to work on the relevant fasteners:

10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm covers most of what you'll need... add a 32mm socket if you want to do the axle nuts. Make sure you have some extensions, and focus on the stuff that could strand you, like the sensors in Brunnie's list above.

But @Brunnie what are metric pliers?

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
777 Posts

Take note of this, it can't be overstated.

I've owned my X for a long time and FINALLY have all of these parts as of last month. Screen shot of my order from Rock Auto attached.

More info in this post:

I know your original post was looking for tool suggestions, but these are the parts that those tools would facilitate replacing.

In addition to having the FSM downloaded as @outback97 mentioned, some screenshots of "How-to's" for trail repair could prove useful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the list in the first post is beyond what most people would carry with them, and includes a lot more than just a tool kit. You can start there and subtract.

Definitely download the factory service manual. We have an ipad mini we use for Gaia that has the FSM downloaded to it.

The problem with the all in one tool kits that you're seeking is that most of them either are cheap crappy tools in a bulky blow molded case, or they're comprehensive mechanics sets, and they'll include more than you need or want to carry. I haven't really seen a premade kit that, to borrow from the Xterra's old marketing, has "everything you need and nothing you don't". So most people just put together their kit themselves.

Some interesting reading here, though this is some expensive stuff because "overland":

You could take a look at this thread and make sure you have the sockets or wrenches to be able to work on the relevant fasteners:

10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm covers most of what you'll need... add a 32mm socket if you want to do the axle nuts. Make sure you have some extensions, and focus on the stuff that could strand you, like the sensors in Brunnie's list above.

But @Brunnie what are metric pliers?
Thank you. First on my list is the Service Manual since I do not have it.
And I agree about the all in one tool kits, however I may go that route anyway. Something small but has a good collection of your every day stuff. And then I can add the specific tooling little by little.
Thank you for the links, more reading material for me is always a good thing.

And I wondered about the metric pliers and needle nose myself. This Xterra must really need specialized tools 😆!

But seriously, thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Take note of this, it can't be overstated.

I've owned my X for a long time and FINALLY have all of these parts as of last month. Screen shot of my order from Rock Auto attached.

More info in this post:

I know your original post was looking for tool suggestions, but these are the parts that those tools would facilitate replacing.

In addition to having the FSM downloaded as @outback97 mentioned, some screenshots of "How-to's" for trail repair could prove useful.
I have not read into the crankshaft/camshaft sensors on this truck yet. Maybe I need to make that a priority. I may just copy your entire shopping cart list as well.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Re-reading the links I posted earlier got me thinking about what I have in my minimalist tool bag, so I figured it would be worth a few minutes to take everything out. With the exception of the longer breaker at the top, this all fits in a small (11") canvas tool bag and probably weighs around 10#. No claims that this is complete in any way, and I'm no mechanic, but I can theoretically do many small repairs with this set. I need to replace my magnetic part pickup tool, a longer needlenose, and a couple sockets that I borrowed from this kit.

Not shown are a few larger tools, like a hammer and some longer combination wrenches that I stow in the cargo well. I only recently got some 1/2" drive tools, so I may throw a breaker and some sockets under there as well. Tire repair tools are in their own case, I have an action packer tote with some more survival / camping related items, and a separate bag for some recovery gear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
View attachment 128300

Re-reading the links I posted earlier got me thinking about what I have in my minimalist tool bag, so I figured it would be worth a few minutes to take everything out. With the exception of the longer breaker at the top, this all fits in a small (11") canvas tool bag and probably weighs around 10#. No claims that this is complete in any way, and I'm no mechanic, but I can theoretically do many small repairs with this set. I need to replace my magnetic part pickup tool, a longer needlenose, and a couple sockets that I borrowed from this kit.

Not shown are a few larger tools, like a hammer and some longer combination wrenches that I stow in the cargo well. I only recently got some 1/2" drive tools, so I may throw a breaker and some sockets under there as well. Tire repair tools are in their own case, I have an action packer tote with some more survival / camping related items, and a separate bag for some recovery gear.
Never hurts to break it out from time to time to see what has come up missing and what needs to be replaced. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see anyone having some kind of tire repair or inflation kit. I carry a inflator and tire plug kit. Bottle of soap to add to bottle water to find leak
Good point. I am adding those to my list.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Being able to pump up for a quick trip to somewhere to to get a proper repair has often been easier that trying to change to the spare. I have often found a screw etc is the offender and a simple plug with fill has saved the hour. Let a pro do the repair while you enjoy shopping or a beverage.Sams club perk free tire repair

1 - 20 of 24 Posts