Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finnally got in to replace the Tensioner and Belt (for the TSB). They (of course) wanted to do all kinds of crap to the X. Trying to avoid a 'bendover' at the stealership.

They wanted to replace In-Cabin Micro Filter for $100. Just to make sure, this is documented in THIS THREAD. All I have to do is follow the simple instructions, right?

They wanted to adjust the e-brake for $54. They said it was 'loose'. Can I just follow the instructions HERE to avoid their high prices?

They also wanted to 'clean' the battery terminals (forgot what they quoted me due to shock), but that should be easy enough to do myself...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yes, you can buy the cabin filter for about $25 (still kind of hight) and replace it pretty easy. It's kind of a pain, but not $75 worth of pain.

Yes you can adjust the e-brake as in that thread, but if the shoes them selves need adjusted, then it's a bit harder. I have been through a set of e-brake shoes already. The meat on them is thin.

Baking Soda and water works great on the battery. Then use some battery terminal protector (found at any auto parts store for about $3 in a little spay can).

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Micro filter is super easy. Just buy a new one from coutesy parts for around $27 bucks. I havent doen my e-brake but that has to be pretty darn easy. And the battery terminals.... thats so easy my mom could do it! All you have to do is go to your local auto parts store and buy some battery cleaner.... then after you clean it buy some battery protectant.

Dont let the dealership screw you over!

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for confirming this! No sence in wasting money. I get the X back tonight after work!!!

·
on line
641 Posts
GISX said:
They wanted to replace In-Cabin Micro Filter for $100. Just to make sure, this is documented in THIS THREAD. All I have to do is follow the simple instructions, right?
Or, just don't bother, and have it removed, and save the money for the filters. In my opinion it's a useless 'feature' if you every drive with your windows open, because the dirt/dust/pollen/etc. that it claims to trap will just come in the windows.

·
on line
20 Posts
As far as the battery terminals go just do the baking soda thing and if you don't want to buy the protectant you can use regular petroleum jelly such as Vaseline. Works great and doesn't melt away like you would think it would. Also a little tip about petroleum jelly you can use this stuff inside and around electrical switches and terminals. I use it inside my motorcycle ignition switch which used to become corroded after the winter storage and have not had issues with it in years.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Muzikman said:
That might be, but it does keep your vents and duct clean.
If you go on outings with groups on dusty roads and are not the first or second vehicle in the line, you know how dusted out you can get. Thats when I roll my windows up put my A/C on Resirculate to keep the dust from coming in. Thats when its a nice feature to have the filter in place to keep those ducts clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts