Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live out in the desert Southwest (Tucson) so that means 1 thing rocks. Before headin out I removed all the factory mud flaps, the rear swaybar, and welded up some rock sliders (good call).

So while the X did a remarkable job on the trail I have to face facts here.

This is not acceptable suspension performance for an off road vehicle:

My previous trail beast could do this all day long:

Now, I know IFS makes stuff like that unlikely for reasonable dollars, but the electronic wizardry makes up for a lot of articulation sins. Truthfully there are only a few place I could take my Land Cruiser that the X will not go (thank you e-locker), but it was pretty much always more composed on the way there.

So my question is do I bother doing anything with the IFS or is a SAS gonna be the only thing to satisfy me?

I know neither axle in my X is a model of strength and longevity so that is going to play heavily into any decision. On the other hand I really like the ABS based control systems so losing them does not offer much appeal for me either.

Hmmmm so many decisions...

Here are some other pics from the day to review as you consider my delima:

·
on line
1,206 Posts
It all depends on the person. Me personally, I am going with an SAS. BUt others feel that it is not needed, which in alot of cases its not, But for what I do it is. I say go for the SAS but thats just my .02

Oh that trail looks pretty fun, nice pics!

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Chivo? Hey, you've got to hook up w/ Sandbag and some of those Nissan guys down south. Look over on www.Nissan4wheelers.com , there's plenty of local folk.
BTW, wtf were you thinking giving up a beautiful 62 like that? Must've been a real turd for you to think you'd be better off in one of these..
SFA for rocks, always.
Hasta'

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you can afford it, SAS it, but to be honest, you better really really love the truck to spend the kind of money needed to do a decent SAS on the new X's. I pais less for my built 03 Ribicon with 40K miles than the two folks who SAS'ed their 05 X's paid for just the SAS. I guess if you are good at suspension geometry and welding, you could do it your self for cheaper, but it's still going to be pricey.

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DBAX said:
Chivo? Hey, you've got to hook up w/ Sandbag and some of those Nissan guys down south. Look over on www.Nissan4wheelers.com , there's plenty of local folk.
BTW, wtf were you thinking giving up a beautiful 62 like that? Must've been a real turd for you to think you'd be better off in one of these..
SFA for rocks, always.
Hasta'
The 62 wasn't a turd, more of a basket case and I got tired of working on a truck with 1/4 million miles on it. Too much rust, too much wtf previous owner, too many electrical gremlins, in the end I just got tired of the time it took to do a simple task.

I've had an '84 720 4x4, '00 maxima, '05 pathy, and currently have a '98 240sx, '07 X, & '07 Murano. So you could say I like my Nissan's. The LC was my first Toyota and there really wasn't anything magic about Toyota quality big expensive pieces of steel last longer, so they used them. But with the newest stuff that no longer really applies they are built out of stamped steel just like everybody else.

Before I bought the X I looked at the FJ cruiser, the new Wrangler, and a 97 land cruiser (last year with solid front axle). The H3 prolly would have been on this list if it had a decent engine. If any of them came with a good diesel it would have won hands down....

The '97 just gave me the feeling that maint would be huge again.
The Wrangler's interior space is a JOKE.
The FJ is basically the same as the X, it just comes down to style preference and the dealer you have to work with. And in the end I liked the X better. It has the more classical station wagon styling and the engine is fricken awesome.

If the FJ's front drive shaft drops on the passenger side then I guess you could use an 8" front axle off a FJ 80 to do a SAS and that would be a huge plus, but really not enough to sway me at signing.

Regardless I am quite pleased with the X, but I do miss the 62 a bit.

·
on line
29 Posts
If you want more wheel travel disconnect the sway bars. You might want to remove them for wheeling completely as I hear they will thrash things up just flopping around.

Doing a quality suspension lift should get you better articulation also.

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rear sway bar is gone and the front is on its way out. Anyone have any examples of how much more droop I can get out of the rear with some of the common solutions? AC AAL, Calmini AAL, Alcans, etc?

·
on line
358 Posts
With an IFS you will be three wheelin alot, get uesd to it. My son has a Jeep TJ w/discos and we have to pick different lines but both get to the same place thanks to the locker. Lockers rock! Looks like alot of fun. Good to see people enjoing their Xterras.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
My $.02 on front swaybars-
Keep it on for daily driving, and be aware of potential carnage for wheeling with it off..

·
on line
238 Posts
I agree with Muzikman on IFS. Driving style has to be different, but you can get through a lot. But if you have to have something like the X, and you wanted a solid axle.... A used Land Rover Discovery II would have been the best bet for the cash (seen 04's w/27k miles for $24k around here in Ohio). Smack a quality lift on there with some expedition gear and you are set for serious fun. My brother had the Disco I and it was incredible in stock form.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well let me be the one to tell you.... I absolutely love my truck. 6 inches of lift with the driveablility of IFS, and all the factory gadgetry that came with the truck. BUT, in all honesty if I had it to do all over again, I would do a SAS. If gears and lockers came out for the truck then I would be alot happier, but untill then I will always have that little voice in the back of my head saying, "you'er a friggin' dumb ass"

okay guys, now you will never ever hear me say (or write) that again. :laughing6:

·
on line
735 Posts
If you could buy an Xterra like they are, but with a bulletproof front diff vs. a theoretical $25k slow ass straight six, straight axle 2007 land cruiser, which would you choose?

The LC would be great for the 3 percent of the time you needed it vs. the other 97 perent of the time when you want to go 80 mph on the roadway.

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mike100 said:
If you could buy an Xterra like they are, but with a bulletproof front diff vs. a theoretical $25k slow *** straight six, straight axle 2007 land cruiser, which would you choose?

The LC would be great for the 3 percent of the time you needed it vs. the other 97 perent of the time when you want to go 80 mph on the roadway.
LC, no doubt. But I've got a nice little sports car to get me down the highway.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have never measured, but here is as flexed as my read can get.

That is with;

285/75R16 BFG MT's

Front:
Swaybar: Yes
Stock Bilstein Shocks
Front AC Coils (2.5")

Rear:
Swaybar: No
Calmini AAL (1.5")
AC Shackles (1.5")
20% stiffer Bilstein extended travel shocks
AC extended stainless brake lines
Relocated ABS lines
Stock bump stops

·
on line
3,218 Posts
mike100 wrote:
If you could buy an Xterra like they are, but with a bulletproof front diff vs. a theoretical $25k slow *** straight six, straight axle 2007 land cruiser, which would you choose?

SALES 101
Never ask an important question you don't know the answer to..
I.E.- "Mr Simpson (OJ), Is that your glove? Can you put it on?"

·
on line
1,208 Posts
HOLY CRAP!! Muzikman's Avatar is up!!

:cheers:

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DBAX said:
mike100 wrote:

SALES 101
Never ask an important question you don't know the answer to..
I.E.- "Mr Simpson (OJ), Is that your glove? Can you put it on?"
I read this response to my response and thought I should prolly clarify something. If Nissan had brought the X out with a SFA and left the pathy as their snowy drive 4by a lot of those more adventureous FJ drivers would likely have a Nissan in their paddock. I know I would have had one for a while now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts