Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I swapped out all of my fluids. It went well other than the transmission, which I ended up having a little too much fluid in. The dipstick showed fluid about an inch above where it should be. I was unsure if that was okay so I asked my dad who said it should be fine.

Apparently that was the wrong answer...

Sunday evening I drove out to the coast and going through the mountains I went to pass about 4 cars in one shot on the passing lane and all of the sudden I shot out a decent bit of white smoke once I got on it and then smelled transmission fluid. I was confused as to what had happened because at lower RPM's it hasn't done that before. It didn't last long so I kept driving, I figured maybe it was because I haven't driven the X that hard since I've had it. Well I stepped on it again and sure enough it happened again. I got out and check and saw tranny fluid kind of spattered on my skids so I dropped the skid once I got home. The following day I noticed that my transmission was leaking from somewhere above the transmission or almost on the upper part which was confusing as well...

I'm guessing this was caused by me having put too much fluid in... Could this be a seal/gasket that's leaking or is this something a little more serious? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership because I'm sure the warranty is long gone by now but I'm hoping it might be an easy fix, if not I'll resort to the dealership.

Anyone with a little experience with this?

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
If it's an inch over the fluid level you definately over filled it. I'm assuming you did a poor man flush which doesn't clean all the fluid out unless you run it through. But if you over fill it I can't think it's a seal related issue more than maybe it's coming out your breather tube. My suggestion is drain it and refill it properly but I can't truthfully speak out of knowledge that my thinking is the reason so others should chime in as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
684 Posts
I have read in the transmissions service manual somewhere that there is an over-fill/over-pressure valve release. I have read of cases in the past on hear of people's vent-valve opening up and staying open, losing all of their fluid. That would suck. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
A few weeks ago I swapped out all of my fluids. It went well other than the transmission, which I ended up having a little too much fluid in. The dipstick showed fluid about an inch above where it should be. I was unsure if that was okay so I asked my dad who said it should be fine.

Apparently that was the wrong answer...

Sunday evening I drove out to the coast and going through the mountains I went to pass about 4 cars in one shot on the passing lane and all of the sudden I shot out a decent bit of white smoke once I got on it and then smelled transmission fluid. I was confused as to what had happened because at lower RPM's it hasn't done that before. It didn't last long so I kept driving, I figured maybe it was because I haven't driven the X that hard since I've had it. Well I stepped on it again and sure enough it happened again. I got out and check and saw tranny fluid kind of spattered on my skids so I dropped the skid once I got home. The following day I noticed that my transmission was leaking from somewhere above the transmission or almost on the upper part which was confusing as well...

I'm guessing this was caused by me having put too much fluid in... Could this be a seal/gasket that's leaking or is this something a little more serious? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership because I'm sure the warranty is long gone by now but I'm hoping it might be an easy fix, if not I'll resort to the dealership.

Anyone with a little experience with this?
Not to argue with your dad Kyle, but 1" over full on the dipstick is NOT okay. You need to get the level right.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Over full is just as bad if not worse than being low on fluid. Hopefully it was just puking out the vent. Get it filled to the proper level, clean it all off and try it again.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries to prove my dad wrong, he is a health and safety engineer with very little mechanic skills. I'm going to drain a bit out and try it again. Is there anything I should look for if there's a seal that's going bad? Or anything else I should check for?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
684 Posts
Just check closely for any further leaks, drain to the correct level. Remember to pull the dipstick, clean, reinsert, and re-pull WHILE it is running to get the correct measurement.

The torque converter fills with fluid as the engine idles and the pump is running. Setting the fluid level without the engine running will result you in draining too much fluid and wind up having transmission pressure-lack.

I'm going to bet you're a-okay after draining the excess fluid.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Im guessing it foamed up and came out of your vent. Get the level right, wipe everything up, and check again. Keep a close eye on your trans fluid while testing and make sure you look at your dip stick while hot in park and running. (you prly already know this)

I keep my level halfway up the HOT marking.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
^^Vent is probably right. I've never examined this Nissan tranny, but other GM tranny's I've worked on had a vent tube on the top - which would leak fluid when overfilled.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
when I over filled my atf fluid, I used a fish tank size hose and send it down the dip stick hole..... I basically sucked out fluid to the top of the clear plastic tube then poured it into a container... it took me about 5 times to get the level to normal.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the fluid level fixed, it was almost 2 quarts over filled. Took it for a drive, no leaks, smells, or smoke so I think you guys were right about the over flow vent. Last time I'm listening to my dad when it comes to anything that has to do with the truck haha
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
684 Posts
Got the fluid level fixed, it was almost 2 quarts over filled. Took it for a drive, no leaks, smells, or smoke so I think you guys were right about the over flow vent. Last time I'm listening to my dad when it comes to anything that has to do with the truck haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Geeez!

Heh, glad to hear everything is okay!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank god! At least he would have been liable for the mistake!
Haha yeah I told him it was on his part if something went wrong... Now if I had done it without confronting him and then messed something up I would have been responsible for fixing it. Luckily all is well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I hope you learned your lesson. Automatic transmissions like to be at the proper level and no where else. Just another one of this things you will never do again, you just happen to be learning these things the hard way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts