Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I did my titan swap last week (using PRG extended axles and stock diff) and turns out I ended up with over 5" of lift with the SAWs as low as they'll go. Great I thought. Then the other night I looked underneath and both CV boots on the differential ends were completely torn in half. I took the truck into Boulder Nissan today (who did the swap for me) and they and I agree there is a pretty good chance that the axle angle with that much lift might be causing the problem. Not good since I can't get it any lower without adding a lot of weight to the front which is my long term solution with a bumper and a winch. For now we are going to try replacing the boot in a "squeezed" configuration in hopes that will give it more room to flex. But I need a backup plan in case these boots tear as well.

My questions are this: 1) anyone else run into this before? If so what worked to solve the problem? 2) forget the boots, how badly am I screwing up my CV joints? 3) is there a kit out there anywhere that will drop the front differential an inch or two to reduce the angles? 4) Anyone know of or have any experience with an aftermarket CV boot that is a heck of a lot stronger than Nissan's? 5) what other options have I not thought of?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
TheP1 is correct, Calmini used drop brackets and huge spacers, you would be buying the kit only for the brackets, it would correct some of the CV angle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent idea, maybe Calmini will sell just the drop brackets, I'll call and ask. I'd love to be able to keep the 5" I got out of this lift if possible.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I wouldn't recommend calamini due to your going to lose ground clearance under your radiator and it doesn't usually do as well off road unless you set it up completely right but still a 5" titan swap is way more beneficial, but your not displaying enough information

1) titan swap with after market ucas im assuming?
2) have you tested the drop and looked at the cv angle your self
3) did you check if the boot was rubbing on anything? or did it pop off?
4) how did you come to 5" of lift? what is your fender height right now?
5) what pound rate is the coils on your saws? im assuming 625

Also note the coil overs will settle a .5" at least after a month or two of driving

Im just asking question so i can better help you out. Im titan swapped on rads running 4" with an m205 so its a little different but ive seen enough to know you probably don't need a calamini drop bracket kit

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) Yes, PRG
2) I have looked at it but I don't think I am qualified to make a judgement if it is ok or not. The folks at Boulder Nissan thought it looked ok
3) It does not appear to be rubbing, did not pop off. More below though
4) My fender height was 33.75" to start, 39" after the TS before I put on 285s, now it is a bit under 40" with new shoes.
5) Yes, as far as I know. I haven't looked at them to confirm or anything.

One other possibility here proposed by Bldr Nissan is that since the PRG extended axles do not have the groves in them to hold the boot in place that it is possible that the upper boots are sliding down the shaft and slowly pulling themselves apart. In addition to squeezing the boots tighter we are planning on adding another boot clamp directly onto the axle below the boot to help keep it in place.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Personally I would call Greg and see if this is a common issue or search guys on the site who have the same set up with extended axels. I'm running an m205 with about 1" more of lift and have nt had a single issue. I'm assuming the problem is because the r180 is smaller and it's stretching the boot off but this shouldn't happen driving. Any chance you could post some pictures at full droop? If you want a second opinion that is. I know Eric, Sean and joe as well as Christy at boulder Nissan and they are great but there new in the Titan swap department lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
^^ One of my main reasons for the BL Im about to put on is so Ill qualify for an Over sized vehicle permit. Park on the first floor of the garage everyday. :D

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Can we stop the thread jack and keep this on track, if you cant fit in a garage tough luck the x looks better outdoors anyways

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
That sounds strange to me. How can you achieve THAT much lift to tear your CV boots just by installing coil springs that you're saying are on their lowest setting? Was the lift inspected after it was istalled? Like Truffle's said, measure your fender heights to get a more accurate estimation of the lift you achieved.

Additionally, it may help to post up some pics so we can see your setup and how it's installed. I'd also definitely call Greg and run it by him. Be sure he sent you the right springs. Best of luck

·
on line
8,599 Posts
So ur runnin a 180 with the extended axles with Titan suspension?
Not to many people doin that here anymore.
Best thing to do is talk to Greg.
Also post up Picts here!!!

What size tires are u runnin?
Without to much of a thread jack, be careful runnin anything larger than 33"s on a 180. It's been done and had been wheeled. But be very careful with wheel spin, cause it will break!

·
Registered
988 Posts
The SAW will settle 1/2" after the break in period. My guess would be your OEM cv boots aren't as durable as the cheap m205 half axles. I wheeled mine for 6 months with no bumper/winch at 4" of lift on there and had no ripped boots.

Your stock OEM boots could have been worn/weathered so when the angle increased they couldn't handle the stretch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So ur runnin a 180 with the extended axles with Titan suspension?
Not to many people doin that here anymore.
Best thing to do is talk to Greg.
Also post up Picts here!!!

What size tires are u runnin?
Without to much of a thread jack, be careful runnin anything larger than 33"s on a 180. It's been done and had been wheeled. But be very careful with wheel spin, cause it will break!

I am running 285 Duratracs.
Kept the 180 for now, might lock it, might go to 205, might drive it till it blows - haven't decided.
Tried calling Greg, he is out of town this week.
Will post pics sometime soon.

The SAW will settle 1/2" after the break in period. My guess would be your OEM cv boots aren't as durable as the cheap m205 half axles. I wheeled mine for 6 months with no bumper/winch at 4" of lift on there and had no ripped boots.

Your stock OEM boots could have been worn/weathered so when the angle increased they couldn't handle the stretch.
Good to know it will settle if the problem comes from the angle. The boots were replaced with the swap I believe. As I said Boulder Nissan did it.

Back to the Calmini drop brackets, I have a question on which part actually drops and holds the front differential in place. Is it the blue horizontal cross bar that cuts off so much ground clearance or is that part not necessary to drop the differential but keep the control arms in their stock position? I definitely do not want to add that big blue rock plow to the front of my truck!

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
I have the M205 with my swap and recently had to replace a cv shaft for the same problem. Inner boot was completely torn off.

I replaced mine under warranty and Im going to see if it happens again.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I have the M205 with my swap and recently had to replace a cv shaft for the same problem. Inner boot was completely torn off.

I replaced mine under warranty and Im going to see if it happens again.
Was it an oem or rock auto cause the rock auto ones the boots are different and often rub or are not set up for harsh angles, oem I never had an issue but my rock auto ones I had to replace a boot cause it tore open due to rubbing on the bumpstop brace

1 - 20 of 46 Posts