Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just contacted Tom Woods in regards to getting a custom shaft done and he said i would need a spline count for drive shaft. Has anyone done a custom shaft from Tom Woods on a non off road Xterra. Or are they the same? I know the m226 has some differences compared to the c200 but are they in relation to the drive shaft? I thinking bout getting this done and any help would be appreciated.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont really NEED one but the fact that if the stock one ever fails due to vibrations or what not, the Woods ones are easier to service and get replacement parts for. Plus a guy a talked to said the stock setup on our X's will not have that long a life if the truck is lifted cuase of the strain on the U joints. Im just doing research as of right now. Im not saying im gonna pull the trigger just yet, just scoping out ideas.

My overall goal with the X is to somewhat bullet proof the drivetrain since im building it up for expedition type runs. This is why im looking into the Titan diff swap among other things.

·
on line
423 Posts
You all know I am tainted towards Tom Woods. They are only 40 minutes from where I live and I am impressed with what they have done for me. That said, location makes fab work easier. Also, TW guarantees next day turn around once they have it all figured out. I am sure the others will as well.

The problem you are going to have is that ALL drive line shops will be doing this custom and they all seem to have ideas on the best way to approach it. You need to make sure you agree with the direction they are suggesting. You will either end up with a modified stock unit or a full on custom. The modified stocker will have u-joints added (generally leaving the differential side of the shaft alone with the funky u-joint), while the full custom will generally only use the slip joint from your stock unit, welded onto a normal drive line set up or a double cardan set up. My guess is that Tom Woods is trying to find slip joint they may have in stock to fit and not have to do more fabrication than necessary which would save you some cash...but I doubt anything exists like that. When they did the R & D on mine, they spec'd it out pretty well, but who knows.

When I did my set up, JE Reel was pushing the modified stock unit and Tom Woods suggested the new drive shaft. I figured if I was going to change the drive shaft out, I just as well do a new one all the way.

I think whichever way you go, you will need to ship a drive shaft or drop it off for some R & D work.

You might call your Nissan dealer and see if they have a drive line in stock to look at and whether they are different between an S or Offroad model. I bet the transmission is the same and the slip joint is the same...but...Nissan has surprised us before.

I have my X scheduled for a front drive line u-joint replacement at the dealer this week due to a front end vibration and what seems like some odd play I noticed. I have thought about just replacing that front drive shaft with a TW...but it would be a full on custom, and I haven't gotten that far yet.

If you need any help, PM me and I will send you my cell #.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today i went to OC drivelines and OFF ROAD Evolution. Rey at OC drivelines was very informative and gave me some options. He did say my pinion angle was off and there was indeed slight drive line vibrations. He said my vibrations were very slight compared to what hes felt in the past. He did make a suggestion to remove my 3deg shims and run it the way it is until i can do something with the drive shaft. He made this recommendation based on the fact that i told him i do expedition type runs with weight and passengers. He said the angle of the diff should be a hair lower than the drive shaft cause the angle will eventually correct itself once torque is applied.

OC drivelines can do a custom shaft for $450 and this will include cutting out the CV part of the shaft and welding a new flange that will allow me to run U joints which will eventually cancel out the vibrations. I believe i will still be using the front u joint though.

Off Road Evolution can do a custom driveshaft as well but they will be using JE Reel shafts. Thier setup looked different due to the fact that theirs is a slip yoke type. I believe its a new front U joint setup with slip yoke in the middle that can extend and another U joint at the rear. This type does not make any sense but im sure its good. Mel the owner gave a round about quote of about $575.

If the Tom Woods one is not that far off, i would probably go with theirs. What do you all think? The Calmini X that was built at Off Road Evo is using a JE Reel shaft. OC drivelines uses either Neapco or Spicer U joints with the Neapco bieng the greaseable type.

Which oh which is the right way to go??

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will do man. As of right now, im in the planning stages. Too many things to do with the funds bieng the major block. Things will get done eventually. Im about to drop the hammer on the Shrock bumper first. Then after that its gonna be a toss up between the driveshaft or the Titan front diff swap. Just hoping things with the truck dont go bad between now and then.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your right Mark on that. I actually should do the latter first. Im just in love with the front bumper though. I guess the bumper could wait. Well see how things play out. Its not like im gonna get the bumper the next day after i order it anyways.

·
on line
360 Posts
So is the drive shaft angle problem a common occurrence or is yours a pretty isolated case? The full PRG lift is pretty common around here, but this is the first time I've heard tell of drive shaft issues (then again I couldn't easily missed prior threads). Does Greg have any input on the matter? I'm just a couple months away from pulling the trigger on this lift and want to know what kind of can of worms may open up

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its really hit and miss with the Xterras. So many people have the lift and have no problems whereas there are a few that do have the vibrations. My vibrations are very slight and a driveline expert went for a ride in my truck and said that mine were more audible than anything. He didnt feel anything, just heard the resonance from them. He did go onto say that the U joints could wear out in the future if not properly addressed. To be honest with you, my pinion angle looks fine but its the angle at the u joint that is causing the vibrations.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
From what I know (granted, isn't much), driveline vibs happen (sometimes) when doing an AAL or more incidentally using a dif-drop bracket. Sexterra has the Calmini dif drop bracket and he hasn't posted any vibration issues but I can't seem to remember who else had them because of the dif-drop and their remedy was a TW driveshaft.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the diff drop causing vibrations. It most certainly can happen, but I have not heard of it in an Xterra/Frontier.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the diff drop causing vibrations.
The post below is from this thread:

Just wanted to post that I have gotten rid of my driveline vibration caused by the 5" Calmini lift I installed some months back. I also wanted to give some kudos to a vendor that did an excellent job and who supports the offroad community...Tom Woods Drivelines.

As noted in the Calmini 5" lift tips and tricks thread in this section of XOC, after installing my 5" lift, I ended up with a pretty severe driveline vibration issue. Several of us who installed the lift had the same issue. Calmini stepped up to help figure the problem out as well. Calmini modified the stock drive line to allow for a double cardan type of CV joint...rather JE Reel did it for them, but kept the overall driveline intact except for the double cardan at the transfer case end of the driveline.

I went a different route, using Tom Woods Drivelines in Ogden Utah. They built me a completely new (except for the transfer case slip yoke) driveline, with standard u-joints, double cardan at the transfer case and single u-joint at the diff.

To keep things simple, they sold me a custom Jeep J/K pinion flange that bolted right up to the pinion gear/spline area. The person at Tom Woods I worked with checked all of the tolerances, etc. and we could see that it would fit OK. It worked great. I was even able to pull the dust shield from the stock pinion flange and tap it onto the new JK pinion flange.

This is a serious driveline, and MY VIBRATION IS HISTORY...which is good, making my truck great to drive again.

Here is a link to my photobucket pics:
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/jtaoj/2005 X Lift/
They are not in any specific order, but you can get the gist of how this all worked out, etc.

Anyway, the vibration issue is gone, and a thanks to Tom Woods Drivelines for the extra help and great customer service. I am just very pleased.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did speak to Jim at JE reel and he was saying that for my setup, he would do a custom CV type joint from the T-case. Instead of replacing the bottom CV, he would eliminate the U joints at the T case and weld in a new flange that would allow me to run a CV up there. Anyone think this is a good idea? Total cost would be around $425. Eliminating the bottom CV and replacing it with a U joint setup would run an extra $150.

·
on line
423 Posts
xterra3100 said:
I did speak to Jim at JE reel and he was saying that for my setup, he would do a custom CV type joint from the T-case. Instead of replacing the bottom CV, he would eliminate the U joints at the T case and weld in a new flange that would allow me to run a CV up there. Anyone think this is a good idea? Total cost would be around $425. Eliminating the bottom CV and replacing it with a U joint setup would run an extra $150.
Calmini used JE Reel for their 2nd gen Xterra to eliminate a vibration. This one simply replaced the transmission end u-joint with a double cardan. The price you quote at 425 is about what they had quoted me. Add the $150 to do the lower and you should definitely do a full on new drive shaft. Why do a piece meal with the old drive shaft? That doesn't make sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts