Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is a winch???

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all... i just wanted to find out how many of u x owners out there have a winch and actual use it... often or not... i just was just wondering whether or not to start saving up for one... thanks

·
on line
3,262 Posts
There were times when I was alone that I really wish i had one, but every time i have ever gone wheeling with a buddy or two I have never needed one. Plus when you go with a few friends someone else always has one... so why would i need to buy one. LOL

If you feel the urge to go wheeling alone... then you definitely need one. If you go with a large group of people most of the time, then you probably wont need one.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet... thanks S_E_X thats what i was wondering... i dont plan on doing a lot of wheeling by myself soooo... but i still want to hear from everyone so keep the votes coming lol

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I go far out by myself. I tell someone where I'm going, take a week's worth of water and food, take tools and loads of recovery gear--and I definitely have a winch and a Pull Pal. I'm stupid enough to go to the middle of nowhere alone, but I'm not careless enough to do it winchless.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are so many things that the money can be better spent on. I have used my winch only a hand full of times since I put it on the X about 2 years ago. Yes, it's great insurance, but should be the last thing you think about. Armor up first.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have used my winch only a hand full of times since I put it on the X about 2 years ago. Yes, it's great insurance, but should be the last thing you think about.
I've never had to use mine in about the same time frame. But that isn't the only point. It depends what you do. If you go to very remote spots alone or with one other vehicle, it will save you eventually. For some people, it's the last concern, but for others, I'd say sure, armor up first, but put a winch on the short list.

People know whether they are likely to really need a winch. The security it adds when I set out on a trek alone or with one friend in another vehicle is worth the wieght and money--for me. Someday sooner or later I suspect I'll have a "saved by my winch" story. And if I don't, hey, I tie my gear down, rollover or no, and wheel with my seatbelt on, right?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am not saying they are useless. Hell I have one on both my vehicles. But...

1. He lives in PA. You can't get far enough into the woods around here to not find civilization in under a half days hick.
2. I am a firm believer of not wheeling a lone. There are way too many other things that can happen besides getting stuck. I use to backpack a lone all the time and there have been times when I have been lucky.
3. He is short on funds. A $500 winch is going to be the last thing he'll actually need. If you can buy all the stuff you "need" and still have money left over, sure get the winch.
4. Use a Hi-Lift. There are so many situations where all you need to free yourself is a hi-lift (and I am not talking about using it as a winch). Have a hi-lift and know how to use it.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Good points.

As far as not wheeling alone, I know the wisdom of that rule, and I know I could die breaking it, seriously. But I have chosen, for reasons of personal sanity, to prepare myself very well, now including learning to wrench and becoming much more familiar with my vehicle (thanks for the encouragement, Jason), to run with a winch and all sorts of other goodies, but in the end to take off alone and get as far away as I can.

I know I'm gonna do it, I'm in CA and Oregon, and Nevada, or Utah, and I know I'm in harm's way, so I have to have a winch. The feeling of being in the middle of Grand Staircase Escalante in UT, or in Death Valley, alone, is addictive. Yet I want to lessen my chances of never getting out of there alive.

And for lots of people that's irrelevant, and getting a winch when short on funds and at the beginning of modding the X would be a waste--agreed.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You might want to think about picking up a portable welder and a dual battery setup if you are going to those places alone. Nothing sucks worse than breaking something that needs welded and not having a welder. I am serious about this. There are a ton of things that can be repaired with a welder to get you off the trail. I would also get my AM license and put a radio in the beast. Might be able to reach someone if you need help.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Jason, I hear you. I'm in the process of addressing those issues. Maybe not fast enough, but right now I'm erring on the side of preparation, loads of supplies and giving knowledgable friends my itinerary. The dual battery set-up that was posted by the guy on the other site recently, then posted here, looked great. Short term, I'm replacing my battery with a much better one, probably an Odyssey.

And I know: no one is anywhere near self-sufficient in the backcountry if they can't weld. That's something I plan to remedy. But until I get all my ducks in a row, I'm still going to tempt fate a bit, hopefully intelligently.

·
on line
750 Posts
I'm in D-rap's category. I wheel and work alone in very remote places. I'd like to get a winch but right now its kinda far down the list below sliders and some other goodies.

I will say this though, in PA you may only be a half day from help but even here in the West, I can say that you are only 1-3 days, at most, from cell phone reception which means a life line of sorts..as long as you know where the F you are. For that reason I'd put a quality GPS ahead of a lot of recovery gear like winches et cetera. This is how I've rolled for over 11 years of being a field biologist...I've never had a winch.

Also, wheeling without a winch you're going to be more cautious..like you should be.. and not take the bigger risks that are going to get you stuck in the first place. I've never gotten seriously irreparably stuck in 11 years and that's because I am cautious and if I have to walk 10 miles to a study site instead of getting hung up on a boulder pile..well, then I walk 10 damned miles. Beats walking 35 to get back to civilization or paying $1500+++ for a backcountry tow.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
BioTerra said:
I'd put a quality GPS ahead of a lot of recovery gear like winches et cetera.
Going into the backcountry these days without a GPS and detailed maps, a Gazeteer at the very least, is just plain inexcusable. You can get a perfectly serviceable GPS for around $100, and always know exactly where you are.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank u for all of the responses... and muzik i am not that short on funds lol... i just want to make a list of the things that i want to do to my x and have it in order of most needed to least needed... if that even makes sense... i was just wondering if all of the people that have a winch actually use it... i was asking just to gage how much this tool is used everyday... and from the looks of it i think that a winch will be very close to the bottom of my list... thanks again guys...

·
on line
564 Posts
All I have is a come-along stashed in the top basket...just in case.

Rob

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: My winch, only cost-$79.00 bucks !!!

--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
360 Posts
I don't have a winch but plan on getting one down the road due to the amount water/mud and tight trails I've experienced in the NW. The need for one has come up on most every outing I've been on so far, and in the one case where my Xterra was involved, it would have been much easier to recover/winch myself than have my cousin turn drive ahead and turn around..

Reiter Pit
Jeep hauled out my cousin in the Sammy after an over ambitious mud bog/puddle attempt
Sammy pulling up and over a fallen log
Jeep pulling up and over a fallen log
Jeep pulling a Rubicon up hill with snatchblock

Evans Creek
Sammy pulling up icy rockface

Tahuya
Sammy pulling me over hidden stump in puddle

Fortune Creek
No rigs with winches on this run, but having one could've saved us an hour of filling in a creek bed with rocks at the bottom of a hill to help a stock height Jeep climb the hill without bottoming out

1 - 20 of 36 Posts