Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woke up this morning, its nice, i was thinking about taking the X to wash it and maybe even "Detail" the interior, for me that means wipe it down with a rag and vacuum.

Then i remembered its supposed to snow on Tuesday!

its been quite a while since the X has been washed so its due for it, has tree sap and gunk on it.

but.. its just going to get all dirty again if i end up driving in the snow..

i think ill just wait.

what would you do?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If it’s that bad, I’d wash it anyway. Shouldn’t be that bad of a wipe down after the snow clears. Now, if the snow is temporary and is gone in a few days, how bout taking it to a car wash and getting a 5 day re-wash deal. Then after the snow is gone and maybe roads dry off, get the re-wash. You can doll it up further after the second one. Unless you don’t trust car washes there to not damage your rig. But I deal with salt here in NY, so I see it a little different than you. Gotta battle that crap vigorously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
side story:

been looking at nissan titans. it's right now about the only thing i am considering swapping the X for. i've found a few 2012's with right around 100k, 4x4, 4dr for like $12k. that seems like a pretty good deal to me. its 5 years newer than my X, has the vk56, still has 4x4 hi/low, and more space for camping gear etc. i haven't been doing many real technical trails, so i dont feel like the extra size would hinder me too much. the vq is a good motor but sometimes i really wish it had more grunt up in the mountains. idk.. this would put me into about a $150 or $200 payment, which isnt really bad. I was looking at newer model 4runners or even newer xterras like a 14-15 model and they are all more expensive. like mid 20k's which would put me in a significantly larger payment, which i really dont want. the xterra is great, its just starting to nag me with lots of little repairs. and im feeling like im just waiting for something big to happen.

so, anyways thats my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it’s that bad, I’d wash it anyway. Shouldn’t be that bad of a wipe down after the snow clears. Now, if the snow is temporary and is gone in a few days, how bout taking it to a car wash and getting a 5 day re-wash deal. Then after the snow is gone and maybe roads dry off, get the re-wash. You can doll it up further after the second one. Unless you don’t trust car washes there to not damage your rig. But I deal with salt here in NY, so I see it a little different than you. Gotta battle that crap vigorously.

I like to wash it myself. a i do a better job and its a good feeling, personally.

l'll probably go ahead and wash it and then just give it a rinse down with the hose after the snow.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a fresh coat of wax the snow will slip off the hood better and windshield treatment like RainX the ice will have a hard time sticking too

I have never waxed the X.. probably would be a good idea. I waxed my 350Z religiously, when i got the X i kinda said Eh, its a brute, who cares if its waxed!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wash it.
Ps two thumbs up Meguiars Ceramic Wax.

Wash vehicle and rinse off afterwards.
Spray on Meguiars Ceramic Wax onto your wet vehicle
Dry off your vehicle
Done

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a fresh coat of wax the snow will slip off the hood better and windshield treatment like RainX the ice will have a hard time sticking too

I love rain-x! its definitely due for some of that!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd definitely give it a pre-winter wax. It'll help keep the sap, salt, and grime from sticking and make future washes easier. Hand/machine applied wax > spray wax > nothing. Collinite 845 is my go to. Brushed carwashes will put swirls in your paint but that might not be a big deal if it's covered in pinstripes already. Touchless are better but nothing beats a manual two bucket wash.

·
Registered
2015 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X
16 Posts
There's an auto polishing place nearby that said they'd wash, clay bar, polish, and wax for $120. I'd spend at least half that buying supplies so I'm going to try them. I have a buffer but I'm afraid to use it. Lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Clay bar is very good for neglected paint taking out alot of contaminates or a black paint job. Good workout for the arm if indeed they are using. I ran through spilled paint from overpass project and was what it took to clean it off but was work.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
side story:

been looking at nissan titans. it's right now about the only thing i am considering swapping the X for. i've found a few 2012's with right around 100k, 4x4, 4dr for like $12k. that seems like a pretty good deal to me. its 5 years newer than my X, has the vk56, still has 4x4 hi/low, and more space for camping gear etc. i haven't been doing many real technical trails, so i dont feel like the extra size would hinder me too much. the vq is a good motor but sometimes i really wish it had more grunt up in the mountains. idk.. this would put me into about a $150 or $200 payment, which isnt really bad. I was looking at newer model 4runners or even newer xterras like a 14-15 model and they are all more expensive. like mid 20k's which would put me in a significantly larger payment, which i really dont want. the xterra is great, its just starting to nag me with lots of little repairs. and im feeling like im just waiting for something big to happen.

so, anyways thats my thoughts.
I am kind of in that boat. My X has a bunch of small things that seem to catch me as fast as I can fix them. Never left me stranded, but i put together the list of things I know I should replace just because - fuel pump, injectors, rear springs, etc etc - and I think I should buy something "new". The problem is that for 15K you get 150,000 miles of something you have no idea what the maintenance history is. On top of that, I think age is just as big a thing as miles, so if I buy something 5 years newer for $15K, I still have a bunch of work do do and I am back to the same place in a couple years anyway?

Not sure what to tell you - I am in limbo. Luckily for me the X is not my daily driver.

I would however consider waiting a bit. Used car prices are crazy high. I think once the summer / covid / election craziness is over, people are going to figure out that being unemployed isn't a good time to be buying things, and prices will come back to some reasonable level. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There's a car wash place down the road from me that offers a monthly payment of like 20$ for unlimited washes. I can go in every single day and wash the truck and then pull into their detail area and use microfiber towels they offer and an assortment of sprays. They have vacuums, a mat washer, a little hose area where you can spray down mats if they are plastic and a air compressor nozzle to clean smaller areas. they also have free air fresheners and stuff like that. My truck stays absolutely MINT at all times thanks to them.

I haven't really noticed any "damage" from the car wash itself but my truck is white so it might not show up as bad. Plus it does a pretty good job at cleaning so it doesn't bother me much. Although id like to add if you have a lot of accessories on your rig then wouldn't recommend obviously going through an automated car wash.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
If in doubt, wash.

In your case get a clean Titan, don’t wash. Wash the Titan, then wax with wet wax spray while drying. McQuire. Wash then spray and wipe with 3-6 microfiber rags.

if you’re curious about Titan and you do mild trails only, it may be the right choice and carry a lot of stuff. Maybe the truck need will wear out and you will be back to an SUV in the future.

·
Registered
314 Posts
102, 102, 106, 109, 114

^^ The highs the last few days, snow sounds like an awesome problem to have.
Not if you live here in western NY. They’ll either salt the crap out of everything or the snowbirds that’s migrate to Florida in November-December will crash everywhere cuz they forgot how to drive in it.

·
Well then...
617 Posts
Not if you live here in western NY. They’ll either salt the crap out of everything or the snowbirds that’s migrate to Florida in November-December will crash everywhere cuz they forgot how to drive in it.

Eww, I've seen what salt does to cars just a few years old. I'll keep my 114 degree high, thank you for the reminder.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am kind of in that boat. My X has a bunch of small things that seem to catch me as fast as I can fix them. Never left me stranded, but i put together the list of things I know I should replace just because - fuel pump, injectors, rear springs, etc etc - and I think I should buy something "new". The problem is that for 15K you get 150,000 miles of something you have no idea what the maintenance history is. On top of that, I think age is just as big a thing as miles, so if I buy something 5 years newer for $15K, I still have a bunch of work do do and I am back to the same place in a couple years anyway?

Not sure what to tell you - I am in limbo. Luckily for me the X is not my daily driver.

I would however consider waiting a bit. Used car prices are crazy high. I think once the summer / covid / election craziness is over, people are going to figure out that being unemployed isn't a good time to be buying things, and prices will come back to some reasonable level. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.

yeah, i agree on waiting, im in no rush. another part of me wants to find a cheap little 2 dr 4 banger for driving around town and help make the x last alittle longer that way..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yeah, i agree on waiting, im in no rush. another part of me wants to find a cheap little 2 dr 4 banger for driving around town and help make the x last alittle longer that way..
I thought about that. But then I have 2 cars to insure / maintain, and I am driving something I don't like much of the time. Plus I doubt you will find anything as reliable as the X. What few common problems it has are easy enough to fix.

I drive 40+K miles per year for work - mostly highway across multiple states - thats how the X got 350,000 miles on it. I bought my wife a new car last summer and stole back my 2011 Fronty with 65,000 miles. It now is closing in on 100,000 - that is with travel being cancelled due to covid for several months. Not sure what I will get next - but I am sure it will cost more and not last as long as either my X or Fronty.

This thread did inspire me to wash my fronty though. I was going to do the X but the fronty was already in the driveway so...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts