Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Currently I have ’05 S 4x4. Its all stock other than some aux driving lights I added and an interior bike rack I made. I am very new to the offroad world, but very excited to get started and want to choose the right platform to start with. My wife and I do light off-roading. Mainly forest roads and approach roads to 14ers on southern CO. The X is my wife’s daily driver. I would like have a rig capable of doing up to class 3 trails in moab also.

For the last 6 months I have been trying understand the differences between the ‘08 S and the ‘08 OR. I am trying to make an educated choice on whether or not to up grade.

Could someone please confirm what I think is correct…

Front Diff type:
’05 S: open with ABLS
’08 S: open with ABLS
’08 OR: open with ABLS

Rear Diff Type:
’05 S: LSD with ABLS
’08 S: LSD with ABLS
’08 OR: open with e-Locker and ABLS

So, before this post gets too long… I am really wondering the pros and CONS of the e-locker? Does the fact that it is open when not locked pose any problems for bad weather driving.

Thanks for your help. My goal is to get smart and share my experiences with all you guys.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Looks like you are close to correct.

Some people have had problems with the rear differential (with the e-locker) getting damaged because of offroading and such, those 'nissan engineering' problems aside; The rear locker is a great option for people who want more traction. It is an extremely great option to have when you will be in situations where you might need it. And yes if the diff is not locked then the truck has an 'open' type rear end. And no problems when driving have occured (other than faulty equipment).

But I dont thning that any of the rear differentials are LSD... I think that they are all open and use the ABLS system.

·
on line
111 Posts
I had a 2000X with LSD, and I know have a 2007 OR with open diff and ABLS. The 2007 is 10x better in the snow in 2WD - it is amazing.

·
on line
735 Posts
Xterras come with a mechanical lsd??? I don't think so..the ABLS is a software substitute. the m226 can accept a dana 44 true trac for a titan with the same axle spline I heard.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
You want to do serious trails? Absolutely, 100% get the X with the rear locker.

My buddy and I each have an X, mine an OR, his without the locker. And we wheel pretty seriously. Not that his X isn't plenty capable, but the difference is major.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts