Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

The family and I took our 08 OR to the Uwharrie OHV trails for the first time. Needless to say we had a blast and plan to do it again. Now, my X is stock and I was really concerned about damaging my X, I did not hit anything; however, would it be safer to install a lift and if so how much?

Thanks in advance

·
on line
896 Posts
if you're not gonna be doin anything hard core, I would just go with some spacers and shackles. probably get around 2 inches of lift

·
on line
142 Posts
If you plan on offroading once in a while I say lift. But I do believe that sliders and skids are the first step to preventing damage. After the armor is on, a mild lift will help out. It all comes down to preference, driving style, what you want, and of course how much money you have to blow. And everything you need is right here.

·
on line
168 Posts
Depends on what you want to do and what are your main concerns. If you are concerned with mileage, don't. If you off road rarely to occasionally, don't use stock skid plates! Get a good set of skid plates. Lift it if you are going to do any "serious" off roading.

·
on line
168 Posts
Ditch the stock skids. I posted something on that earlier. I thought the stock skid plates were fine for mud, dirt, cactus and mesquite in South Texas. Not so. I tore up the stock skid plate on brush while backing up over some brush. The stock skid plates don't offer much protection. I am buying a shrockworks engine skid plate.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
mcampana said:
You already have stock skids, buy some sliders and skip the lift. It doesnt sound like your going to be doing anything that would be helped by a 2 inch lift.
Exactly right. Why raise your center of gravity unnecessarily?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Terra Cruzin said:
Now, my X is stock and I was really concerned about damaging my X, I did not hit anything; however, would it be safer to install a lift and if so how much?
Sliders first... always. They will help prevent damage a lot more than a couple inches of lift will. I'm still running a stock suspension, and the X does pretty darn well on moderate terrain even though it is a bit low. I'd hate to see what my rocker panels would look like without them. A lift really is unnecessary if you are only going to do a little light offroading every now and then (though if you hang around here long enough, you will inevitably end up with one. :geek: ).

http://shrockworks.com/Nissan-Xterra-Rock-Sliders-Rocker-Protection-Nerf-Bars-pr-16157.html

·
on line
735 Posts
skid protection and a winch are > lift

a different tire is beneficial and a lift is needed for larger ones, but I would keep it stock for a year or so before you dump too much into it to discover you don;t like getting 13 or 14 mpg all the time due to the mods.

try to wear out your first set of tires before you go crazy with it.

·
on line
254 Posts
Lots of good advice IMO and I really agree with mike100 =>

try to wear out your first set of tires before you go crazy with it.

I just spent the last week running my OR hard while hunting and in many places there were no trails, just cat and skidder tracks. I am replacing the factory skids first. Sliders are next. Over 30 years I’ve managed to dent pretty much every vehicle I’ve owned- Washington State, Western NC, North Central Pa. MN and trees dinged them all eventually.

A Hi Lift and a come a long will get you out of most places if you get stuck. Only real concern I have is the bumper leaves a little to be desired when hitting a deep creek, it is like hitting a solid wall once it gets deep enough. All in all it is a heck of a vehicle “off the shelf�, take your time and remember mods like a lift always come with pros and cons..

·
on line
142 Posts
Everyone's opinion and experience on this site is extremely valuable. Honestly though if you are going to post the question, "to lift or not to lift?" I say, do what you want. Live it up!

·
on line
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the advice. I agree that everyones opinion and experience is valuable. It amazing the options that are available, of course budget is always an issue. That's why I became a member of the site. I feel more at ease when getting advice from the comsumer than the vendor. Thanks

·
on line
19 Posts
Just remember... The more you add to make your truck off-road capable (heavier), the less MPG you will get...

If you just enjoy hitting an OHV once in a while and that's it, you might just want to get one size larger tires and sliders.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I got Sliders, Swingaway bumper, Skids, Spotlite on top and I just got 21 MPG pulling a Trailer, from Oregon, don't worry to much about your mileage changes !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts