Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Greg and ordered some radflo rear shocks (thanks Greg) and am about to call Alcan to get some new rear leafs.

Final target height will be 2.5 of lift with some heavy duty springs front and rear for the very stout expedition vehicle setup.

I have already gotten the 255/85 - 16 Cooper S/T's and my full replacement roof rack is nearly complete.

Stay tuned for updates and pics as the parts start to come in.

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got off the phone with Alcan. I am having a set of springs that will support passengers, rear tire carrying bumper, and 500lbs of gear made. Alcan said they were 3 weeks out. So, I have some time to add armor to the LCA's I'm gettin from Oregon-X.

:cheers: :bounce: :cheers: :bounce: :cheers: :bounce:

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mcampana said:
How is this supposed to calm the nerves of the people who wanted to buy his stuff and didnt get it?! Rubbing it in their faces or what?!

What made you get the ful alcans over an ALL? What was greg's opinion?
I wanted to make sure they knew that the stuff was going to a good home where they will be incorporated into a top notch offroad system. Just tryin to kick off a suspension build project.

I went with the alcans to give me greater load carrying capacity so I can fully utilize the roof rack I made and a cargo area full of gear. The other option that Greg suggested was AAL's and airbags for overload. That would have worked well but I wanted less possible points of failure. I came to x-terras from the land cruiser world and Alcan had a top notch reputation over there, so that added to my decision as well.

Sorry if this smacked of face rubbin, that was not the intent. I'm just excited about the project.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
mcampana said:
I was just busting your chops dude. Do a "how to" for the alcans, thats one HOW TO that we dont have, the full leaf pack replacement HOW TO.
Honesly there isnt much to it.... take the old ones off and put the new ones on.

LOL... I guess there might be a little more to it than that, but im pretty sure that doing an AAL is more difficult.

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TXterra37 said:
How much did the Alcans set you back? I remember getting a quote of about $250 per leaf pack, and that was for a 3" over stock set.
The estimate was 240 per side, but you get the final price when they actually design them. These will be their heavy duty springs with all the durability things like military wrap and stuff. I should have a very good carrying capacity when this is all said and done.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Alcan had a top notch reputation
A well founded reputation indeed..

there isnt much to it.... take the old ones off and put the new ones on.
Yeah, and don't forget the centering pin goes into the spring perch.. :geek: Really, adding AALs, is a little more complicated than just the replacement packs. Eitherway, looking forward to the pics too, and seeing it wheel..

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I have been told by many to replace the pack rather than aal...even my local 4 wheel drive expert says it alot better in the long run...I am still kind of waiting for people to chime in on their thoughts on this....

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Miles, I had the Calmini AAL w/ no probs for a HARD 60k miles, then replaced them with the Calmini SAS spring pack replacement(Gen1) and I put another 40-50k miles on them. I see they have a replacement pack for the Gen2 also. Makes me wonder :cyclopsani: ...

Oh, here's the CALMINI XTERRA SPRINGPACK REPLACEMENT PDF

your welcome..

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DBAX said:
Miles, I had the Calmini AAL w/ no probs for a HARD 60k miles, then replaced them with the Calmini SAS spring pack replacement(Gen1) and I put another 40-50k miles on them. I see they have a replacement pack for the Gen2 also. Makes me wonder :cyclopsani: ...

Oh, here's the CALMINI XTERRA SPRINGPACK REPLACEMENT PDF

your welcome..
How much weight did you carry when you went out into the back country?

My desire to be able to carry a lot of weight is the main reason I am going with new spring packs.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
With springs set for an extra 1000+ lbs or so (passengers, rear tire carrying bumper, and 500lbs of gear), what is the ride going to be like when the rig is unloaded?

·
on line
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kneebuster said:
With springs set for an extra 1000+ lbs or so (passengers, rear tire carrying bumper, and 500lbs of gear), what is the ride going to be like when the rig is unloaded?
It will ride like a heavy duty truck, firm but controlled. It sure as hell will not bottom out over speed bumps any more.

I went on a hunting trip (is it still hunting if you don't see anything) a few weeks back and the X's manners when loaded with a few hundred lbs were just inexcusable. It bottomed out on undulating freeway at speed and over every bump on the trail. I know there are a lot who feel Nissan dropped the ball with the diffs, and it sounds like they did, but I think they deserve equal, if not more, scorn for the suspension on the X. If Nissan wanted to make a soft sprung Xterra to compete with the cushy car based "utes" that will never see dirt, fine the LE badge is perfect for that. They could throw in leather, sat nav, heated whatever holders, and the softest suspension they could find. I bought the Offroad, it should have come with much better springs.

On a side note, how do you like your OME stuff? They were deff on my short list for upgrade options.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
import silvia said:
kneebuster said:
On a side note, how do you like your OME stuff? They were deff on my short list for upgrade options.
I've been relatively happy with the OME shock and AC spring combo, though it's a bit stiffer than I'd like. I'll be switching to Radflos and new UCAs in the next couple of weeks. One advantage of the OME shocks vs stock with the AC springs is that I didn't have to compress the springs as much so the ride isn't as stiff as it would have been and the shocks don't top out as hard.

I ordered my Alcan's last week but went softer than you (but still stiffer than stock). I may add air bags for towing depending upon how the front and back balance out once the suspension is redone.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
How much weight did you carry when you went out into the back country?
Fully armored w/ 33s, a custom roof rack w/ 2 weeks of gear on top, a #120 dog in the back with asstd recovery gear, whatnot tied down inside throughout the cabin, full tank of gas, and spare fluids too..I dunno? I did weigh in once before a trip to CO and tipped the scales at just over #5800, nearly 3 tons. The AALs were fine too, I was the first to add the SAS springpack to a non-SAS'd Gen1, just looking for something more Xtreme at the time.. The replacement pack was almost overkill at first, a little too much rake w/o all the gear loaded on, but they settled in nicely. They're F'n tough man, in fact, falling off of Tipover Challenge couldn't even break 'em after a one wheel-wheelstand. THIS MAY NEED RE-ARCHING..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts