Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 85k miles in my '07 2wd. I've noticed that the idle is starting to feel a bit rough and jumpy, there's a weird gas-like smell coming from my exhaust, and I haven't bypassed my transmission so I'm paranoid about that. I probably need new shocks and struts. I may need new plugs, etc, but have no idea.

So, should I take the truck into Nissan and let them go over everything and give me their recommendations? What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
, there's a weird gas-like smell coming from my exhaust,
the car does run on gasoline so.....

Sounds like you just may be paranoid. The plugs are rated to be good until 100K. I did mine at 80K for peace of mind. They didn't look bad at all.
Doing plugs with a induction and fuel service would be a good idea at your mileage.

Why do you think you need new shocks and struts?

These things idle rough! I was thinking I had an idling or motor mount problem. I felt like it is too rough. I got in a 2013 Frontier and it felt exactly the same. So I don't mind as long as it just a characteristic.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I waited till 110K on my plugs and won't wait that long next time. The back two were pretty rough looking.

Search around the forum for oxygen sensor / catalytic converter issues. I have not had the issue but there seems to be a number of people that had their oxygen sensors go and subsequently burnt out their cats. I think the symptom of this (beyond throwing a code) is really bad gas mileage, so you might want to look into that. Not saying it is, but you don't want it to be.

As for taking it to the dealer and letting them go over it.... Trust me, they will find something to bill you for. Might be better to do your own research before you go, or better yet do it yourself IMHO.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My former 2005 S had 147k miles when I traded her in for a 2012 PRO 4X. I have never had the spark plugs changed since I bought her new. That should say something. However for the other issues.. I replaced the cats and oxygen sensors at around 135k miles. The struts were replaced at around 135k as well.

·
on line
874 Posts
I too have an 07, about 101,000 miles on it, did the shocks/ struts, belt, fluids, and plugs, brakes and airbags suspension in the rear starting around 98,000.... I would do some work, wait a week for more funds, do some more work, wait a week... you get the idea...
Don't clean the throttle body, I did and got a rough idle, then tried for a week to do the relearn on my own with no success, took it to the dealer and $75 later it was cleared up along with CEL that threw a high idle rpm error.

the struts/shocks were not feeling like they were bad, but I had 1 front and 1 rear leaking so its a good thing i changed them, make sure you order spare bolts as I had to cut the rears off, I had it in snow country for 6 years and there was too much salt/corrosion to get the bolts off even using PB blaster and air impact had no effect on it.

Purchase 2-3 of these 3M 9099DCNA Large Area Paint and Rust Stripper, and a few cans of high temp flat black enamel, if your taking stuff apart, might as well clean things up while you're doing it.

The plugs were not bad able to do it without removing the intake manifold( the coil pack splits in to 2 parts for those that are hard to reach), put anti-seize on the new plugs to be safe, they dont do it at the factory and it can be a nightmare if you break one off.

My plans are to drive my Xterra into her grave, its been paid off for 2 years and the bill for above parts was about $1000- breakdowns below
$350 on front and rear shocks
$250 on airbags for the rear
$100 for 6 spark plugs and the belt
$150 for front rotors and pads
$10 for TB cleaner, BP blaster and shop towels
$30 for 3M paint/rust wheel and rattle cans of rustoleum
$75 for the Idle relearn
and $35 in craft beers (4 six packs)

·
on line
2,047 Posts
I would go to 4x4parts.com and get the rancho strut set up with coil and rear shocks with the add a leaf

I would also do a 0 to 60 mph to check for results and see if your running rich..... or if you go on a slight incline from a dead stop you will hear the little rattle snake sound....

install an oil catch can to keep the intake clean from dried up oil inside ...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
For the love of god do the bypass!!!!!!!!

I mean, unless you want to spend a couple grand on something that could have been avoided for $0.
Never thought of the bypass since everyone on here has crossed that bridge, so yes this is priority a1. However in Texas with the heat I would do the bypass now and plan to put in a new rad and reconnect the cooler before summer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I purchase a Nissan rad made after the fix and put that in, or is there a better aftermarket? I hadn't thought of the O2 sensors. I definitely don't want to have to buy new cats...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can I purchase a Nissan rad made after the fix and put that in, or is there a better aftermarket? I hadn't thought of the O2 sensors. I definitely don't want to have to buy new cats...
A new Nissan rad will drop in and has the problem fixed but a lot of people go after market to save some cash. Many use Koyo radiators (including myself). Look for a recent post by 21sf which has a great price link. On phone so finding you the link is hard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found it, thanks! Do I still have to purchase an external tranny cooler, or is this radiator plug and play?

·
on line
1,135 Posts
The dealer told me I needed a new timing chain and guide at 65 thousand due to a funky sound and high idle, I have not done it yet and I'm at 78 thousand, the cost for them to do it was like $900 if I remember correct. I have heard our X's have this issue so you may want to look at that.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Crap.
I'm at 106k, I guess I'll be doin my plugs this spring.

I wouldn't go to crazy and replacing stuff. Just wait till they become a issue.
Some people have a their cats clog real early. Mine seem fine.

I would just do plugs, clean the throttle body/intake, then run some sea foam in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts