Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this gets ask a lot and has been answered a few times, but I'm curious just how far you _have_ to get into a titan swap. If I just want the extended travel, and not a harder diff (I don't beat my truck on the trail) - what would i need? As I understand there was a v8 Pathy with the same rack? Correct me if I'm wrong but I could go as low budget as this for now:

• Titan UCAs and LCAs
  • V8 Pathfinder half shafts
  • titan brake lines
  • tie rod extenders
I have the 2005 Xterra S 4wd. Not sure which diff I have, or if it will work with the V8 Pathy Halfs.
Am I missing something?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
i just completed this swap,

your close but you dont need pathfinder axels, you need to either get extended half shafts from prg, or nisstec just released ready to go bolt in longer axels. the rest of the parts are correct, titan LCA and UCA, extended brake lines and tierod extensions.

nisstec axels:
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59056&category_id=164&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

the pathfinder v8 half shafts are for people who want the titan dif without the extra travel and width.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just completed this swap,

your close but you dont need pathfinder axels, you need to either get extended half shafts from prg, or nisstec just released ready to go bolt in longer axels. the rest of the parts are correct, titan LCA and UCA, extended brake lines and tierod extensions.

nisstec axels:
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59056&category_id=164&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

the pathfinder v8 half shafts are for people who want the titan dif without the extra travel and width.
I think for the price of the extended half shafts I'd just buy a used M205 and titan cvs.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I think for the price of the extended half shafts I'd just buy a used M205 and titan cvs.
:notworthy: yesssssssss, perfect f'n answer!!! I'm still irritated that I have been trying to get a release date for their Titan Swap Coilovers (without needing to add a spacer) for almost a year. And what do they do? Release a ridiculously priced set of CV shafts that seemed to be marked up 400%... awesome.:cussing:

·
on line
684 Posts
Yeah, I don't mean to be a hater but PRG and Nisstec have insane prices on a lot of their equipment, and I feel like the "kits" are definitely grabbing a big ol profit.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
problem is, i have a manual trans with 3.69 gearing, so a titan dif will not work without a gearing change, then i have to change out the rear to match the front since m205 is not available with 3.69 gearing. so cost for m205, gear set for front and rear is alot more than just axels. and the pricing issue is more from lack of demand thus the need for more expensive small runs of parts, nisstec and prg dont want thousands of parts sitting on the shelf just to lower costs.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I understand the MT benefits, if you are titan swapping and not eventually swapping gears then it's perfect. I just don't know what the point of titan swapping is without going all the way.

The r180 is a horribly weak POS and if you wheel a lot you should just plan on blowing it up at some point and having to replace. The M205 (3-finned) has had maybe 1 documented spider gear failure... Bottom line, if you wheel a lot the M205 is the way to go hands down and do your swap slowly and collect parts until you can pull the trigger on the "doing it right" setup. Not too mention if you plan on running 35's it will only be a matter of time before your r180 will fail.

If you don't use your vehicle to wheel and it's a glorified mall crawler, then the $700 axles are the way to go!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Rugged Rocks just announced 3.73 gears for the m205 ... minimal difference (~1%) to the 3.69 rears in Offroad MTs, probably acceptable difference to the 3.54 (~5%) ratios in non-OR MTs.

Means you can now put an m205 in the front of your manual, and not *have* to regear the rear ... also means you can source whatever m205 you want, you don't have to seek out the often more expensive and sought after 3.36 ratio m205.

Yes, it'll be more expensive than if you could just put in an m205 without regearing; but it's still (IMO) a better option than going with the extended chromo shafts for the r180 ...

At the end of the day, though, the r180/m205 decision is something that's going to have to be evaluated on a case by case basis, pick whatever you think is going to be best for *you*.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I understand the MT benefits, if you are titan swapping and not eventually swapping gears then it's perfect. I just don't know what the point of titan swapping is without going all the way.

The r180 is a horribly weak POS and if you wheel a lot you should just plan on blowing it up at some point and having to replace. The M205 (3-finned) has had maybe 1 documented spider gear failure... Bottom line, if you wheel a lot the M205 is the way to go hands down and do your swap slowly and collect parts until you can pull the trigger on the "doing it right" setup. Not too mention if you plan on running 35's it will only be a matter of time before your r180 will fail.

If you don't use your vehicle to wheel and it's a glorified mall crawler, then the $700 axles are the way to go!
Sorry bud, but I have to (good-naturedly) call you out a bit on this one ... your post is a bit extreme. The r180 isn't a glass diff ... there are several folks who have wheeled them pretty aggressively, even to the point of going to 35" tires. And if you look at the history of the X and Frontier, how many folks have beaten on their stock drivetrains and been fine?

Yes, by the numbers, there have been more r180 failures than m205 failures; but there have also been more trucks wheeling the r180 for longer. There's also now ARB lockers for both ... with an ARB, the r180 is (probably) stronger than the rest of the front drivetrain.

About the only thing we're currently lacking as far as drivetrain components for the F-Alpha platform, is deeper than stock gears for the r180 ... but, fortunately, the MT gear options get folks coming from an AT *something* to put up front, if they want to.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sorry bud, but I have to (good-naturedly) call you out a bit on this one ... your post is a bit extreme. The r180 isn't a glass diff ... there are several folks who have wheeled them pretty aggressively, even to the point of going to 35" tires. And if you look at the history of the X and Frontier, how many folks have beaten on their stock drivetrains and been fine?

Yes, by the numbers, there have been more r180 failures than m205 failures; but there have also been more trucks wheeling the r180 for longer. There's also now ARB lockers for both ... with an ARB, the r180 is (probably) stronger than the rest of the front drivetrain.

About the only thing we're currently lacking as far as drivetrain components for the F-Alpha platform, is deeper than stock gears for the r180 ... but, fortunately, the MT gear options get folks coming from an AT *something* to put up front, if they want to.
You just love correcting me...hahahaha

I blew my R180 in moab with almost no skinny peddle, so I'm a bit biased. In all the forums I've gathered that r180's fail quite easily and that is exactly why I picked up an extra carrier on the cheap for when it blows again.

A locker is a good point for the r180, however from my research shows it moving the weak point to the axle rather than the carrier. So now you have to worry about adding a locker ($1000+labor) and buying axles ($700) just to make the r180 "worth it" and to not chance shredding the POS spider gears. Then when you twist or break a CV shaft you'll be in for another "set" of $700 axles and have one as a trail spare at that point. Oh speaking of trail spares I much rather have 2-Titan shafts for $100 then a set for $700.

And you've seen people with 35's wheel on 3.13/3.36 gearing and not destroy the spiders over time? I would be shocked as I have seen quite the opposite, including MadMike having the locker installed in his r180 specifically to replace the weak a$$ open carrier.

So the r180 to me and will forever be as you put it a "glass diff" in my eyes and I will stay far far away from relying on it ever again!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Fair enough ... comes back to context, though, right? For you, that's what makes the most sense; for someone else, the decision may be different. That's all I'm trying to say, and what I was trying to poke at with my comment about the "decision is something that's going to have to be evaluated on a case by case basis, pick whatever you think is going to be best for *you*."

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Oh I understand, I'm still just butthurt about Nisstec still not letting us know about the other parts that some of us locals have been inquiring about for sometime (I think you included).

You know, but I totally understand marketing a set of axles that they are probably making $400 in profit on over coilovers that they may only make $100-200 on.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Hahaha, Noah I know you take care of your fellow CUSE fans but this is just how engineers and regular old folks like me get along. You have Jonathan, the engineer, who is right and then me the italian over opinionated SOB (literally) who over embellishes because he's pissed off about something else!!! bahahahaha

·
on line
10,980 Posts
LMAO ... well played. I've gotta make it to a local m&g one of these days, and we can share a beer or six.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts