Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with, I didn't see these questions covered anywhere else, but if it has been please just direct me there.

So I've been on this forum for a while, and I've been wheeling in the Xterra many times, and the next step for me is a suspension upgrade.

To me it seems like a roughly 4” lift (or maybe 3") is where I want to go. I've seen lots of people here have done the Titan Swap and that seems like a really good option. I've seen the pics of vehicles with much more articulation it seems following a TS and it seems very impressive. But I have some questions.

I guess the first question is how much lift does the TS typically result in? Can 4” of lift be achieved with a TS? I’ve seen some peoples vehicles appear to have more lift in the front following the TS (LCA’s appear angled) while some vehicles have horizontal LCA’s following. This also may be just confusing pics of vehicles with upgraded coilovers vs vehicles with an actual TS. (Sometimes it’s hard to figure out from the pics if at the time the pic was taken if the TS had been performed or that came later in their build?)

At the end of the day, how would the performance of an Xterra with a TS compare in performance to say a Wrangler with a similar height 4” lift? Assuming both Xterra and Wrangler have also been upgraded to say 35” tires. Basically what I’m trying to determine is if I were to go the route of a TS would I be able to tackle similar sized obstacles and such as a similarly stanced dual solid axle vehicle? There are several Wranglers in my club that are built to roughly that level and I’d like to be able to have similar, not exactly the same, but similar performance capabilities if I could. These are not vehicles with massive articulation, or even long arm conversions.

Let me say that I do know capabilities of a given vehicle are not only based on the vehicle but also the driver, and that a vehicle that looks “aggressive” doesn't necessary equate to enhanced performance. But I’m curious to hear from people that have driven TSed vehicles or ridden around/with others with TSed vehicles how the performance compares to the most common other vehicle out on the trails! Also, I’m aware I’m only addressing the front of the vehicle lift, but since the rear is a solid axle on leaf springs I've seen plenty of examples of the type of performance I can expect is possible from that.

In summary:
1. Can 4” of lift be achieved with a Titan Swap?
2. Describe the performance of a vehicle post TS vs before.
3. How does this performance compare to a similarly lifted Wrangler.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
The Titan swap itself doesn't provide lift. The lift, or lack thereof, that you attain from a Titan swap is directly relevant to what coilovers you use. The Titan swap is simply replacing control arms and driveline components. As far as 4" of lift, that is easily attainable, so long as you upgrade to a coilover capable of providing that lift. You can see somewhere in the vicinity of 6" of lift out of a Titan swap if you chose to run coilovers capable of doing it. Keeping in mind that travel is also a consideration here (i.e. if you're sitting at the maximum lift you can achieve, you might not be leaving yourself any room for the wheels to droop).

As for 35" tires, you need more than a Titan swap. To do it properly you need to re-gear. You also will need to either do a body lift or trim quite a bit of fenders. There are also people that are running 35"s with no Titan swap, just suspension/body lifts and fender trimming.

As for the jeep to X comparison, it's apples to oranges and its been beaten to death on here. You are also right, driver plays a huge roll in all this.

Edit: As far as performance from before to after. Night and day. Its pretty simple, when you add that much useable wheel travel, you are gaining that much more advantage.

I gues what you're really asking is, if you do a Titan swap will you be able to keep up with the keeps in your club. Well, that's up to your skills as a driver. With a good driver, an xterra with a decent lift (say maybe the prg advanced kit) and a good set of tires can go out and run successfully with a jeep wrangler with 3-4" of lift and tires. As a matter of fact, I've done it and so have many others here. When you add the travel of a Titan swap to that, you can only help yourself. Again though these are really different vehicles. Approach, break over, and departure angles are all WAAAY different so where one vehicle clears easily, another may make contact...so there you have brought armor into the mix and everything else....it's an endless back an forth.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
156 Posts
The thing I don't like about the Titan swap how far out it pushes the tire. The further out you push the tire, the more likely it will hit on the rear of the fender when turning. Larger tires will be more likely to hit vs a regular Frontier lift.

Back to your question, pay the X off and by a Wrangler to go with it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The thing I don't like about the Titan swap how far out it pushes the tire. The further out you push the tire, the more likely it will hit on the rear of the fender when turning. Larger tires will be more likely to hit vs a regular Frontier lift.

Back to your question, pay the X off and by a Wrangler to go with it.
Problem solved, run with a skinny tire like mine pictured, but when your upwards of 3.5" of lift on a TS you won't really have any rubbing issues on 33's anyway. And I'd have to disagree, the X will take you down the same trails only in more comfort and with better reliability. Unless your into hardcore crawling you don't need a front SFA.

Back to OP

1. Yes, with my SAW's I achieved 4.5" of basic lift, once the coils settled and I added my winch and bumper they went down to 3.5". Greg had said you can safely go up to 5", anything above that and your CV angles become too extreme.

2. Night and day, I rarely have a rear wheel leave the ground.

3. All depends on the jeep, but articulation is the most important thing, and when I was researching rubicon wheel front wheel travel numbers they were right around 10" which is right on par with the Titan swap.

You start throwing money into jeep lifts though and it gets pretty crazy, chances are though that most trails you will ever ride on....the titan swapped X will keep up just fine to most jeeps, alot of it depends on driver skill as well.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
I am currently TS and I used the 2.5" SAWs with the stock Titan LCAs and PRG UCAs. I have the SAWs set to the lowest height (the way they came from PRG) and I have an AAL and a PRG adjustable schackle set to the middle adjustment. This gives me about 4 inches of lift. I have a little bit of the prerunner stance where the front end is a tad higher but I left it that way because I expect the new shrock bumper I have coming in will level it out.

I easily clear my 33" Goodyear wrangler MTRs with Kevlar. That being said, tires are close to their size but vary a little over each model and make. Example, my 33 MTRs are VERY close in size when sitting next to my 35" BFG ATs on my Raptor so that is something you have to take into account as well.

As for the comment about having your tires stick out, yes they do but if you want aggressive looks, this will do it. I get comments from non off road enthusiasts all the time about how cool the truck looks. I also feel that the extra width helps in off road performance but that's just me.

As for running with Jeeps, Ive gotten many positive comments from Jeepers in regards to the performance of the Xterra. I would consider myself a good driver but with room for improvement so I usually try to tackle anything a comparable jeep would and usually do.

You can search my build thread in my sig for some pics of my various stages of build, from stock to 2 in lift to TS and what it is capable of. With a 2" lift I had an RTI score (theres a pic) of 250. I have not had the opportunity to get another RTI score with the TS yet but I put it up on a concrete loading ramp once and I can tell you that I will be waaaay above a 250 when I do get a chance. Hopefully I can find one soon.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
Oh, and don't forget that a TS will eliminate your front sway bar. This will help your articulation but it will also effect its driving feel. If its your daily driver you may want to consider it. Mine is still drivable but it does have a lot of body roll. On the highways here in El Paso with big sweeping on and off ramps, it has lovingly gained the nickname Weeble Wobble.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jordan, I am in El Paso too with a frontier. We should meet up sometime.

Oh, and don't forget that a TS will eliminate your front sway bar. This will help your articulation but it will also effect its driving feel. If its your daily driver you may want to consider it. Mine is still drivable but it does have a lot of body roll. On the highways here in El Paso with big sweeping on and off ramps, it has lovingly gained the nickname Weeble Wobble.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts