Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am currently in the middle of acquiring all of the parts needed to do a full titan swap on my daily second gen Xterra. One of the parts I recently acquired are the LCAs. Now I am thinking I’d like to do some plate work on them to make them just about bomb proof. I am for sure going to be doing overlay plates around the bushings and the bottom to box in the lower side.

But my real question is to should widen the arm and box it fully? Because in the past I have heard of the arm kinking on the side where the sway bar mount is. Figured I’d throw my plans out there to see what people thought about it first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are going to do it, cut the sway bar mount off and go all the way to the front. You are not fixing the problem area the way you have it now

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
4,447 Posts
What kind of off-roading are you doing?

I have certainly slapped (more than most) my Xterra undercarriage against many rocks, and never once worried about the LCA. You have heard of the arm kinking you said? I can't imagine how unless someone is doing high speed off-road. For crawling and general use, the bushings/ball-joints are gonna fail from wear & tear WAY before the LCA itself breaks, at least for me.

For example, I shoved this 75lb rock around on top of my LCA quite a bit when I got stuck during one trail:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I don't know.. it might be a bit overkill reinforcing the actual LCA's themselves. Those things are tough as rocks. If anything, maybe build a protective cover for the welds near the bushings but then again.. I've never heard of those things ever cracking or completely failing. Like Albatross said, the bushings will wear out way before the LCA's will crap out.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have been rocking the OEM Nissan Titan LCA's for 8 years now and have wheeled all over the United States with them. Smashed them and dragged them over plenty of rocks and never had any issues with bending or anything hanging up. Never once thought about my LCA's like Albatross said.

I totally can get behind wanting to make them stronger because why not? if you're taking it as a fun DIY project then go for it. Dirt King makes the fully boxes lowers, maybe you can take some cues from their design if you aren't sure about certain things. But if you're doing it because you think the Titan LCA isn't strong enough id save some time and effort and just not worry about it. I'd say just about anything we can throw at our rigs the stock Titan LCA can handle

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OR.. how bout reinforcing the LCA's to the shape of something that looks like a front bumper winch mount like RockyMtnX's because he's not making those anymore.. hint hint ;)

·
Well then...
1,077 Posts
I think DezertRunner was doing this a while back. I personally don’t think it is necessary. I’ve abused my OEM X LCA’s without issue. Couldn’t imagine Titan arms giving you trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
4,447 Posts
@AlbatrossCafe how the F did you get out of that? How did you get in to that?
Questionable spotting and only had 33's. Can't remember how I got out. It was painful. There was no moving that rock. I think I just had to grin and bear it. My LCA held up fine though ;)

·
on line
2,353 Posts
Never heard of bending the lower control arm in any regular usage.
Boxing the control arm might make is stronger, but what is the next weak link. If I were to do something so stupid that the lower control arm actually bent, that is an easy bolt on piece. Make that super strong and the next weak points will be the frame itself. You can box the frame mounts, but the frame the mounts (and maybe your boxing is attached to) will still bend. Leave the control arm alone and let it be sacrificial in the event you do something really dumb.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
TNX Veteran
4,370 Posts
I know of 2 LCA failures. One literally broke in half and left a guy stranded on Fin's and Things at Gone Moab 4 years ago, and Mine.... Mine was due to coil bind and broke both of them at the shock mount, not completely through just pushed the shock mount into the arm itself ...... that was not the fault of the LCA but rather the fact that coil bind had occurred.

Don't waste your time worrying about a part that can be had for hundred buck.

·
TNX Veteran
4,447 Posts
Never heard of bending the lower control arm in any regular usage.
Boxing the control arm might make is stronger, but what is the next weak link. If I were to do something so stupid that the lower control arm actually bent, that is an easy bolt on piece. Make that super strong and the next weak points will be the frame itself. You can box the frame mounts, but the frame the mounts (and maybe your boxing is attached to) will still bend. Leave the control arm alone and let it be sacrificial in the event you do something really dumb.
Good point. I'd say you would break/bend the coilbucket next if you were gonna take a hard hit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts