Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ran into issues after Titan Swapping and running the Extended Axle Shafts for the R180?

I ask this because shortly after I swapped, I was on my way into work. My driverside tire dropped as I went over a manhole cover and I heard a *pop* and then at low speeds I heard clicking. Once I got into work I crawled under the truck to find out that the axle shaft pulled completly out of the cv at the tire/hub side.

On further investigation, the boot is fine, there is no more large hose clamp to hold the boot to the cv, the snap ring is still on the axle shaft, and nothing feels sharp or out of place within the bearing area..

Anything I should be worried about? I pulled the whole axle out, plugged the diff, and looking to rebuild the cv.

I did purchase them built, and really didn't do any checks on them other than basic physical oonce-over before installing..

Heres the pics I did get..

^the shaft isn't bent, looks this way from distortion due to iPhone camera..

**Any help from anyone that has experience with Titan Swapping and still running the R180 would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Whoever put those together didn't have the snap ring on the completely or even at all or else that wouldn't happen. Unless the snap ring wasn't the right size which wouldn't make sense... Did you get them from NissTec? If so I'd call and have them send you another set.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
^^ What Kyle said... Is the ring on the shaft? I can't tell from the grease...

Did you get them from NissTec? If so I'd call and have them send you another set.
I really hope that $700+ axles wouldn't have such a problem... Maybe he bought them used but pre-built. If they are from Nisstec you better start calling and emailing now as there are others complaining about zero contact for over a month and others just fixing the warranty stuff themselves because Nisstec never got back to them.

Either way man, I'm sorry this happened as I know how stupid expensive those axles are to begin with regardless if ordering from PRG or Nisstec. Good luck on the rebuild man!!

And just a little food for though... Titan axles are <$50 a piece from rock auto and I picked up my BRAND NEW m205 for $600... so $700 for a titan diff and axles or $700 for axles, the choice is yours my friend!! But if you need help sourcing a M205 just shoot me a PM!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
^on my phone, but unless he has an auto trans off-road model with 3:36 gears, it's not just $700....it's that PLUS whatever he ends up spending on gears/install or rear axle (all of which are well over $1000).

As for the OP. I've been running PRG's extended axle shafts on OEM CVs for I guess about 2 years not (not sure exactly). I've wheeled the truck extensively. I've flexed the front end completely out and never had any issues whatsoever. There was a malfunction there of some kind. My phone won't let me open the pics without watching advertisements (f that) so that's about all the input I have right now. If you have any questions though, let me know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
^on my phone, but unless he has an auto trans off-road model with 3:36 gears, it's not just $700....it's that PLUS whatever he ends up spending on gears/install or rear axle (all of which are well over $1000).
All ready looked it up for him, he's got a 50/50 shot... Remember who has a fronty m226 under his rig;)

LE KC 4x2 5A C200 2.937
LE KC 4x4 5A C200 3.133
LE CC 4x2 5A C200 3.133
LE CC 4x4 5A C200 3.357

Edit: Found him on clubfrontier, it's a crew cab so he has 3.36 which you and I both know is GOLDEN for m205 swap!!
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/okkomatzs-frontier-83312/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I have an auto, LE 4x4, and I know I'm golden for a M205 swap.. Hahaha I bought these axles used and built off of here.

Yes the Ring is still intact.

I'm currently only running stock coilovers with a 3" spacer for the front lift, including stock Titan Upper and Lower control arms. I don't believe I got any extra lift when I swapped..

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
there are others complaining about zero contact for over a month
I was able to finally get a hold of them and they were able to send out the warranty parts that I needed. unfortunately that thread was locked before I was able to post up

/ thread jack

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Sounds like you'll need to reassemble them.
I would completely remove all the grease and inspect everything to make sure nothing is damaged (including the boots). And like someone mentioned, make sure you have the right size c-clip on there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
If they are from Nisstec you better start calling and emailing now as there are others complaining about zero contact for over a month and others just fixing the warranty stuff themselves because Nisstec never got back to them.
Just to clear things up, NissTec did recently address that - they had moved their communications department offsite and things got so messed up that it resulted in people not being able to get through.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I was able to finally get a hold of them and they were able to send out the warranty parts that I needed. unfortunately that thread was locked before I was able to post up

/ thread jack
Just to clear things up, NissTec did recently address that - they had moved their communications department offsite and things got so messed up that it resulted in people not being able to get through.
They removed posts and closed the thread. The thread stated that they had this issue for "3-7 days" and others posted that they had not got back to them for over a month. I guess I'm just getting a little tired of all the sh*t lead time, false expectation, drop off the face of the earth type customer service that is documented all over this site for some of our "go to" shops.

end rant...

OP, let me know if you want help sourcing a 3.36 m205. Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
For the OP, I was in the same boat... Well kinda... But not really. Anyways, long story short, I had a locked r180 with the extended axle shafts and sold everything to pay for my (brand new) titan diff, titan cv's, and most of the ARB locker for it. Like NYX said, you can find smokin' deals on them. I got mine for $700 new which still isn't bad. Plus when you break a CV they're 49.95 off of rock auto... (now I can afford trail spares!)

Anyways, it's definitely something to look into.. especially considering if you found a good deal on an m205 (sometimes as low as $400) you could sell the r180, and those cv's, and be able to do the diff swap coming out with more money in your pocket. Who doesn't like money in their pocket...:dontknow:

Thread jack has come to an end. Best of luck with getting your cv's back to how they should be! :eek:ccasion5:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts