Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While taking a look at my front suspension today, I noticed one of my bumpstops got knocked off. I kinda saw this coming, but didn't think it would happen this soon. For those of you w/ Titan swaps, where did yall mount the bumpstop? When its in the factory location, it barely makes contact on the outside edge, and eventually is forced off. I didnt see an easy way to drill another hole further in due to the underside of the LCA. I might try out some aftermarket bumpstops of some sort if I cant figure anything else out.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
What about placing an angled shim under the bumpstop?

~Xknut
What box?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
that sucks to hear... mine actually hit pretty darn good. There's only a few mm's that don't make contact.
Since it doesn't need to be precise to function I imagine tolerances and quality control of where the hole is drilled for placement of the stops is not that great.
The idea of trimming/shimming sound like the way to go!

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna bolt on some lo-pro bumpstops either tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll test those out. If those don't work then I"ll start trimmin and shimmin! lol

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I read through Oregons post and he put his bumps on the top part, and let them strike on the LCA. It might be an idea.

Here is the only pic i can get of it....

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Oregon has gone to the extreme with his set-up. Easiest method would be to just relocate the bump inward. Drill a new hole and tap it. The material is thick enough to hold the bumpstop.
On my set-up, the bumps are relocated using the Procomp kit, I dont even use the lower arm bumps.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
PrerunnerGreg said:
Oregon has gone to the extreme with his set-up.
:rockin:

PrerunnerGreg said:
Easiest method would be to just relocate the bump inward. Drill a new hole and tap it. The material is thick enough to hold the bumpstop.
I'm with Greg on this one. I thought about doing the very same thing, but it just came down to time. I already had an appointment at the fab shop, and it took him all of about 5 minutes to torch those holes. Plus it was a whole lot easier than drilling a hole through the 1/4 striker plate that was welded to the top of my LCAs.

When I was pondering this I went to the Energy Suspension website to see if they had specs on the bolts they use for those bumpstops. They don't. You'll probably have to take the nut of the bottom and drive to your local hardware store. Find a bolt that the bumpstop nut will fit over, then you should have your size and thread pitch. Then find your tap...

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the ideas... this is why I posted this question here as well, and not only on the Frontier site!

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found what I need to drill and tap the LCA. Its a 5/16" 16 thread for the particular bumpstops I bought. I cut them down slightly and I'll probably try mounting them this weekend. I'll be sure to get pics.

·
on line
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok here are the long over-do pictures. Its nothing special, just a bumpstop w/ the top chopped off so that it makes solid contact. It no longer catches the edge (which is what tore the first one off).
New one is on the left...

It still doesnt meet the whole surface I dont think but it does its job. I really didnt feel like taking the spindle off so I could lower the control arm and drill and tap a new hole.... so this will do! :D

As a reminder, this is the old setup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts