Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
on line
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up a bunch in all the threads on this forum and the other forum, and from what I've gotten, you can only do the Titan swap on a 2WD, because they don't make lift spindles for a 4x4?

I'm confused. I want to do the long-arm swap on my Xterra...

EDIT: I've undertaken this swap, and am going with a locked Titan rearend as well. I'll update this thread as I progress with the swap, and include pics!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
You have two options;

(1) Retain your front differential and install custom extended CV axles along with the Titan suspension components

(2) Swap in a Titan front diff and Titan CVs along with the suspension components, brakes, spindles, etc. This will also require you to get new 17" wheels in the Titan bolt pattern (6x5.5) and run adapters in the back if you keep your rear axle. It's only been done a couple times, and both time drop backet style lift kits were used. Nobody has really answered the question if the Titan diff will fit in there as is.

Run a search for "Titan long travel" or check out "Wife's Xterra" in the Suspension forum.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
The idea behind swapping in the Titan components is to increase suspension travel which is accomplished with the longer control arms... the spindles get you the room for bigger tires.
Option 1 that Oregon posted is very easy... you can pick up the titan control arms used or even new for less than a few hundred bucks and then have longer cv shafts made for about 500... and it's all bolt-on. You can get about 3-4" of lift with an adjustable coilover like the Radflo's but you gain 4-5" of travel!
You can easily get 33's in there with that set-up too.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Re: Titan long-arm swap on 4x4 Xterra?

alexrex20 said:
I've been reading up a bunch in all the threads on this forum and the other forum, and from what I've gotten, you can only do the Titan swap on a 2WD, because they don't make lift spindles for a 4x4?

I'm confused. I want to do the long-arm swap on my Xterra...
This thread isn't for this question. It is for people to post there project thread; on the main forum page it says "This forum is dedicated to Xterra projects" just beneath "Xterra Projects".

This should be asked under the "Suspension, Tires and Wheels" thread. We try to keep it clean so its easy to look through for things done to projects. Please keep the questions in the threads where they belong.

Can a MOD move this to the proper location please. Thank you.

EDIT** Good question though. :)

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I'd be fine with this thread being moved by the Mods. If you ask me, there are at least 5-6 threads in the "Xterra Projects" forum that need to be sent packing...

But to answer your last question;

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was always under the impression that the Titan and X shared the same tie-rod ends, and that the Titan rack was just a little bit wider.

Lifeinthesouth used some fab parts to make his own custom tie-rod ends when he swapped Titan suspension components into the front end of his 2wd. Check out "Project Grocerygetter".

The easiest route would likely be to just call up Greg at PRG. He's got some threaded tie-rod extensions specifically for this swap (2wd or 4wd). Don't quote me, but I thought they were in the $59-$69 price range.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
OregonX said:
I'd be fine with this thread being moved by the Mods. If you ask me, there are at least 5-6 threads in the "Xterra Projects" forum that need to be sent packing...

But to answer your last question;

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was always under the impression that the Titan and X shared the same tie-rod ends, and that the Titan rack was just a little bit wider.

Lifeinthesouth used some fab parts to make his own custom tie-rod ends when he swapped Titan suspension components into the front end of his 2wd. Check out "Project Grocerygetter".

The easiest route would likely be to just call up Greg at PRG. He's got some threaded tie-rod extensions specifically for this swap (2wd or 4wd). Don't quote me, but I thought they were in the $59-$69 price range.
Thanks man. That's what I needed to hear!

·
on line
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Titan long-arm swap on 4x4 Xterra?

brutus_skx said:
This thread isn't for this question. It is for people to post there project thread; on the main forum page it says "This forum is dedicated to Xterra projects" just beneath "Xterra Projects".

This should be asked under the "Suspension, Tires and Wheels" thread. We try to keep it clean so its easy to look through for things done to projects. Please keep the questions in the threads where they belong.

Can a MOD move this to the proper location please. Thank you.

EDIT** Good question though. :)
For such a Nazi, your spelling and grammar sure are pathetic.

there != their

it's = contraction of "it is"

its = possessive modifier

and this is the "Xterra Projects" section, not thread.

With that said, this SECTION is just as appropriate for my question as the Suspension/Tires/Wheels section is. This swap would be considered an XTERRA PROJECT. Where in the section description, "This forum is dedicated to Xterra Projects," does it say anything about being limited to project how-to's? Don't get mad at me because I'm not following the "rules" which you think should be in place, but aren't. Just goes to show how poor your judgment is.

Oh and yes, I am indeed trying to be an *******, *******.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
wow, over react much

in case you didnt notice son im not the only one who thinks this should be in the other section. but i guess we are the ones that are wrong and youre right

·
on line
1,127 Posts
I hate when threads get into these arguments, but i have to agree with brutus. All questions should go in the suspension forum. If you were actually in the process of doing this conversion right now, go ahead and make your own personal thread in the Xterra projects and let us know how it is going!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Look guys this is getting weird.

Alex, you shouldnt take offense to someone asking to have your thread moved. Its not like he was trying to offend you, he was just bringing it to your (and everyone elses) attention that you misplaced a thread topic.... no big deal. You are new to this site and arent used to navigating it. No harm no foul.

Also, we dont appreciate the bashing of members on this site. I understand you are new, and may have past experience with XOC and how everyone there gives everyone else attitude. But we dont operate like that over here. So now that you understand how everything works im sure that you will be more than happy to cooperate.

Thanks for understanding.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Soooooo I am really considering doing this swap. But I would really like to hear from a person with 4x4 that has done it already, whether they like it or not. I have nooo clue where to get custom cv's made, which concerns me, but I really like the amount of lift that this gives and how much more stability I would get with the front end stance.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
The only one that I know of that has swapped anything in a 4x4 with Titan stuff is PRGreg. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his wife's truck is a 4x4 and he swapped out the whole front end for a Titan setup. THAT is something that should've been here in the Projects forum.

Alex, I wasn't trying to tell you to leave or anything, but like Eddo said, that attitude (xoc) doesn't sit well here. That's all. Enjoy what others have to offer.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
d-rap here has had this swap done by SLR (now out of business). A LOT of Frontier guys have had it done... you'd probably have better luck searching old threads on clubfrontier... doesn't seem like anyone here is into doing anything but SAS for fear of blowing diffs.
To my knowledge, no one that has done the 4x swap has had any diff issues.

To get shafts cut RCV has a good rep http://www.rcvperformance.com/products.html
but you can google "custom cv shafts" and find a plethora of other places that will make them.

**Oh yeah, this should be in the Suspension, Tire section unless someone has actually started the project!

·
on line
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
S_e_X-Terra said:
Look guys this is getting weird.

Alex, you shouldnt take offense to someone asking to have your thread moved. Its not like he was trying to offend you, he was just bringing it to your (and everyone elses) attention that you misplaced a thread topic.... no big deal. You are new to this site and arent used to navigating it. No harm no foul.

Also, we dont appreciate the bashing of members on this site. I understand you are new, and may have past experience with XOC and how everyone there gives everyone else attitude. But we dont operate like that over here. So now that you understand how everything works im sure that you will be more than happy to cooperate.

Thanks for understanding.

I don't mind getting corrected. I understand that this was not the most appropriate section to post my question in, but it does qualify as an Xterra Project. My biggest beef is that he calls me out on the basis of me posting in the proper section, but doesn't have the basic ability to communicate with proper English or grammar. That ignorance is more annoying than some n00b posting in the wrong section, if you ask me.

·
on line
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With that said, I already have most of the parts to do the 4x4 Titan swap on my Xterra. I've ordered a bunch of parts from the dealership, and a Fabtech 6" lift from 4WheelParts. Luckily, one of the employees has done the same swap on his buddy's 4x4 Frontier, so has a good idea of what I will encounter. I'm just waiting on the front differential - the dealership should be getting it in on Thursday. My shrockworks full armor should be ready to be picked up by the end of February. So long!!!

Maybe then I can post about it in this section...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts