Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read over all of the diff swap threads that I could find on here and over at clubfrontier. Everyone seems to think that the mounting points look the same, but nobody is 100% sure. I don't think that the housings are the same, even though that was an early theory. I think there was also one guy on Clubfrontier who took some preliminary measurements and had concerns that Titan diff wouldn't clear the X oil pan.

What if you installed a Titan drop bracket lift on the X and then mounted up the Titan diff on the drop brackets? That should negate any diff/oil pan clearance issues. I would think that there's a good chance that drop brackets would mount up, given that OE lower control arm mounting points are the same. I don't know... I'm just thinking out loud here.

Obviously... you'd also have to swap in Titan upper and lower LCAs, CV shafts, Titan hubs and brakes, coilovers. ABS and brake line compatability shouldn't be an issue. If you're an M226 owner, gear ratios won't be an issue if you upgrade with the R&P gearsets that Superior is about to release.

What do you guys think?

·
on line
735 Posts
It was done here already, but it was a 2wd prerunner wide-track conversion with fiberglass fenders. If you had a wrecked titan at your disposal to canabalize, it might be fun to try, but otherwise...

my dream conversion would be to take the new JK Jeep rubicon running gear (same rear axle from what I hear) and do a mild SAS with 2.5 inches of lift (sort of like a stock landcruiser of old). convert the rear to jeep axles to run their lug pattern and wheels and then do the rubi front axle on custom links and steering gear.

of course I do enjoy the factory IFS... Our best hope is that we can adapt or wait for nissan to update the front diff so we can drop one in with the existing axles.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike100 said:
It was done here already, but it was a 2wd prerunner wide-track conversion with fiberglass fenders. If you had a wrecked titan at your disposal to canabalize, it might be fun to try, but otherwise...
My big issue here is the Titan diff, which I think would be a lot more complicated. I know that Titan suspension stuff has been swapped by numerous guys without any problems. I guess the big question in my mind is whether or not the Titan lift drop brackets (several different manufacturers to choose from) would bolt up w/ any problems.

·
on line
369 Posts
OregonX said:
mike100 said:
My big issue here is the Titan diff, which I think would be a lot more complicated. I know that Titan suspension stuff has been swapped by numerous guys without any problems. I guess the big question in my mind is whether or not the Titan lift drop brackets (several different manufacturers to choose from) would bolt up w/ any problems.
From my measurements and studying of various installation diagrams for both Xterra & Titan diff drop brackets I believe it would mount perfectly.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rs182 said:
OregonX said:
mike100 said:
From my measurements and studying of various installation diagrams for both Xterra & Titan diff drop brackets I believe it would mount perfectly.
It's tempting. I can get a low mileage Titan diff for about $600. The big risk would be dropping the cash for the lift brackets. The cheapest kit is the Titan Rancho 4" (really 5", according to Greg at PRG) is about $1250. That's a lot of money to throw away on a gamble of sorts. Then control arms, CV shafts, hubs, brakes, bigger wheels and tires. All that for a 1" bigger ring gear and R&P gear options. Yeesh....

·
on line
3,262 Posts
So since I already have diff drop brackets, and since the diffs supposedly line up.... then this might be an option for me later down the road if my front diff explodes (and if they eventually come out with r&p gears for the C200)

·
on line
369 Posts
Since all those diff drop kits come in like 3 separate boxes you can buy just the front bracket box for like $600 I think. I'll try and dig up some links soon. I looked into something like this a while back. Pro-Comp is what I was looking at.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rs182 said:
Since all those diff drop kits come in like 3 separate boxes you can buy just the front bracket box for like $600 I think. I'll try and dig up some links soon. I looked into something like this a while back. Pro-Comp is what I was looking at.
Really? Where did you find that?

The cheapest option I could find was with a coil spacer and Pro-Comp's cheapest shocks. That was still over $1400.

·
on line
369 Posts
OregonX said:
rs182 said:
Really? Where did you find that?

The cheapest option I could find was with a coil spacer and Pro-Comp's cheapest shocks. That was still over $1400.
I believe this is box 1 from Pro Comp's Titan diff drop kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=exp-59001-1
I use Google to search for the individual boxes. You can find box #'s if you go to the manufacturer's website and download the install instructions.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
What is the track width difference between an X and the Titan? I'd love the stronger diff, but not sure about all that extra width.

Regardless, the swap is intriguing. I'd love to see somebody give it a shot! With all the diff issues, I imagine it is only a matter of time before someone figures something out (aside from the tried-and-true SAS).

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rs182 said:
I believe this is box 1 from Pro Comp's Titan diff drop kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=exp-59001-1
I use Google to search for the individual boxes. You can find box #'s if you go to the manufacturer's website and download the install instructions.
Good find, rs182. I went to Pro-Comp's site to check out the instructions.

http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/is/59001.pdf

They do have a detailed listing of what you can find in each box. I'm suprised that Pro-Comp allows Summit to sell the boxes individually. The only problem here is that "Box 1" doesn't include the rear crossmember or the steering knuckles. You also have to buy "Box 2" and "Box 3" to get those.

·
on line
369 Posts
Oh yea I forgot about the knuckles. If you were going to try and install the front only you would need the box with the front crossmember and the box with the knuckles. That would put your total up to somewhere around $800 I think.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rs182 said:
Oh yea I forgot about the knuckles. If you were going to try and install the front only you would need the box with the front crossmember and the box with the knuckles. That would put your total up to somewhere around $800 I think.
That diff drop bracketry is actually divided into two parts, the 2nd part is what they're referring to as the rear crossmember. It looks like you would need to get box 1, 2 & 3 to get all of the bracketry components and both steering knuckles. Looks like $1360 and some change, plus I don't know if Summit would throw on some additional shipping charges.

I still think that the Rancho kit would be the cheapest. I bet Greg would order it for his cost (just for the sake of his own curiosity to see what it would look like) if somebody wanted to pull the trigger on it. I know he was thinking about doing it in the past...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts