Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
60 Posts
I did some research, but I worked in a tire shop for 4 years through college so I also had previous knowledge. I did find out that the tires I wanted wear quite a bit faster than other MT's, but I love the design. So I thought I'd find out for myself.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I base it on recommendations of people who have had prior experiance with the tires. And knowing what I needed the tires for.

For instance, living in Southwest PA I know that the majority of the trails are going to muddy with some rocks thrown in. I also knew I was going to be on these trails on average of two weekends a month. I also knew that the Xterra is a daily driver, so I wanted something street friendly. I originally was looking for a spare set of wheels and was going to have a set of trail tires and a set of street tires. I was kind of glad I couldn’t find wheels at the time as I’d rather leave my trail tires on all the time as I don’t always know when I am going to end up on a trail.

Because of these things, I knew I wanted a mud tire, but they had to hold up to the abuse of the street.

So now I asked around (not just Xterra owners, but people who have been wheeling for some time). It came down to, if you want great mud tires, get Super Swampers, but they suck on the road, so I scratched them off the list. The general consensus was that BFG made great tires and their MT’s lasted a very long time on the pavement. So, that’s what I ended up with.

·
on line
238 Posts
I did my research online with tirerack and misc. reviews I could find. Like Muzikman I wanted a daily driver that could handle the duties of offroad well. I then made a chart of how much they cost and how many expected miles out of each one. Then I calculated how many miles per dollar to get my bang for the buck theory.

Don't forget when people say how many miles they get out of a tire to check what the vehicle weight is they drive.

Tire choosen: Firstone Destination MT
Size: 265/75x16 (D)
Miles expected: 55k

I haven't really put them to the test offroad, but they have performed very well onroad. Ice would be their lesser rating being they are not siped. No problems with balancing. They are a very similar build to a BFG MT. I also tried a Dunlop radial mud rover on my '94 Nissan D21 4x4 and they performed pretty well. Slightly more flex in body, got a little noisy toward the end (as expected) and obtained ~65k miles from them with a little tread left.

Traditionally the BFG's have held the captain's seat for MT, but lately there have been some good runner ups that do very well. For a decent offroad AT the BFG I'd say is still a jump ahead.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan, i think you need to put a little more effort into your tire purchasing....................KIDDING! Im impressed though, charts and stuff!? I thought i was the only one who took it to the extreme when spending cash! I have been leaning towards the micky thompson M/T Baja radial mtx..........siped.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I ran through 2 sets of 32" DESTI MTs on my Gen1 before going to DUELLER MTs in a 33. The Firestones were great on AZ rocks, mud, sand, snow.. All of it. I found wheelspin would cause some "lug chunking", but w/ low gears (or less skinny pedal) they wear really well too.
Good decision :cheers: .

PS- I'll more than likely go with 33" DESTINATION MTs on the '07 as well. Unless I get the same deal on those Duellers. MMmmmm, Duellers.

·
on line
35 Posts
I have been reading, and reading, and reading up on tires before I buy sometime this April (2 months from now). I've heard and read good things about the Toyo Open Country M/T - looks aggressive and performs well on the road and off. They have a step cost, but my mind is set on them. Here is a link to a site that I found that rates several different tires plus also has reviews from people who have has the particular tires listed.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/SuperSwamperSSR_TSL.htm

(second link takes your to the mud terain directly.)

·
on line
35 Posts
anyone know the weigts on BFGoodrich M/T & A/T's?
265/75 16's
285/75 16's

·
on line
564 Posts
Dude...Tirerack.com lists tire weights.

Rob

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The BFG MTs are 56 lbs. in the 285s. Not as strong as the Toyos, especially in the sidewall, but the sidewall flex and the weight was how I decided. Plus, the BFG is on every other truck for a reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts