Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been questioning weather I want to get the Calmini 2.5" lift or get the BFG Mud Terrains first. Which one would you guys recommend, I'm either way it would be a little while between purchases.

:scratch:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Always tires first, unless you need the lift to fit the tires, but in this case you don't.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
Are you talking about the MT from experience or hear-say? I had a pair on my old truck and loved them. They lasted about 40k, were fairly quiet, and I never had a flat or got stuck on construction sites.

I would go for the tires first.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
BFG makes some of the best tires, but you pay for it. As far as MT's go, BFG's are great on-road and off-road. Swampers are much better off-road, but suck on-road. So if you are putting them on a daily driver, I would go BFG MT's if you want an MT.

To answer the original question...As someone above said. Tires before lift, unless you need the lift to fit the tire.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
muzikman said:
BFG makes some of the best tires, but you pay for it. As far as MT's go, BFG's are great on-road and off-road. Swampers are much better off-road, but suck on-road. So if you are putting them on a daily driver, I would go BFG MT's if you want an MT.

To answer the original question...As someone above said. Tires before lift, unless you need the lift to fit the tire.
How are the MT's in the snow, though?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
If you don't wheel a lot in mud, then I would go the AT route.

If your local trails look like this


Than I would think about a set of MT's.

ATs are better for on-road and rock type trails, but can leave you stuck in the middle of a mud puddle.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15 Posts
I have a pair of mud terrians on my tacoma and they are gret in my opinion. Have had them for about three and a half years and the still have a good amount of tread on them. go with the mud terrians i will be getting them for my X when that time comes. by the way How do you add a picture to the thread?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
npgtech said:
I've been questioning weather I want to get the Calmini 2.5" lift or get the BFG Mud Terrains first. Which one would you guys recommend, I'm either way it would be a little while between purchases.

:scratch:
get the Calmini lift from Erick in the "swap meet" for super cheap and still have enough to get the tires
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Tires first

Logically the BFG ATs are best for me but I like the 255/85/16 which are only available in the MT
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Yep, I have the 255/85/16 BFG MTs.
I would, however, agree that for maximum longevity and economy, an AT is better than a MT. I still wouldn't switch to an AT though. I love my MTs. They are far superior in function and looks.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
RogueClimber said:
Tires first

Logically the BFG ATs are best for me but I like the 255/85/16 which are only available in the MT
but there are other tires out there available in that size... hmmm, maxxis bighorn, cooper discoverer s/t, starfire durango MT, maxxis bravo AT
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top