Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about getting KO's, but I realized I probably will not off road any time soon.

Are there any good tires that will up my MPG a little? I am getting about 17-18 on the highway with some yoko mudders that it came with.

We have a second xterra that has some decent BFGoodrich tires (similiar to trail T/A's I think), and my GF gets about 20mpg with em so I was wondering what you guys were preferring for winter/snow?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I run different tires for snow as I haven't had good results in All Season tires. My winters likely have higher rolling resistance which partly contributes to my reduced mileage in winter.

I'm using the stock BFG Rugged Trails for the other 3 seasons and have been closer to 21mpg highway.

Do you need new tires because the old ones are worn? I'm just thinking about the upgrade cost vs the savings realized with a 2 mpg gain. Sorry.. not going to do the math.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will need new tires before winter ... sitting at 4/16 or so.

I took a trip up north which was 99% highway, and hit about 18~ mpg in my 6 speed manual OR without mods.

I haven't done my plugs yet, and I am at 85k, wonder if that'd help.

How are the BFG Rugged Terrains?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I will need new tires before winter ... sitting at 4/16 or so.

I took a trip up north which was 99% highway, and hit about 18~ mpg in my 6 speed manual OR without mods.

I haven't done my plugs yet, and I am at 85k, wonder if that'd help.

How are the BFG Rugged Terrains?
You know, I've had them since they first came out, so 2 years or so? I love them on the street. Comfy and quiet with tons of grip in the rain, hot or cold. Their biggest downside is they bog up and become drag slicks when you get in muddy stuff. But if you mostly do sand, rock, pavement, etc. you're fine. They don't wear at all. I probably have 60% tread after 2 yrs and 30-40 (probably closer to 30)k miles

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have Grabber AT2's and like the mileage they get on them? If they get 18-20, I might consider those too ...

My only gripe with the Rugged Terrains is they ware a bit quick (if they are indeed the rubber on my GF's)...we got them new on the GF's truck and they're down to 8/32 already, and she's only put 12k on them. I think they were 14/32 when we first got them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, this is kind of my winter truck ... so they gotta be good in snow for sure.

I ride my motorcycle almost every day, as long as it doesn't rain...or we aren't camping.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Does anyone have Grabber AT2's and like the mileage they get on them? If they get 18-20, I might consider those too ...

My only gripe with the Rugged Terrains is they ware a bit quick (if they are indeed the rubber on my GF's)...we got them new on the GF's truck and they're down to 8/32 already, and she's only put 12k on them. I think they were 14/32 when we first got them.
Yes, grabber at 2s. Ive got the 33's, d load, and can hit 20 on relaxed hwy cruisin. They are also quiet, and are wearing really well. Want better mileage? Get them in a 32, and p rated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts