Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing all sorts or research and being one that likes to be different, I'll have a set of the Fierce Attitude MT's 285/70-17's mounted later today.

This is what I've found out so far with a lot of searching and reading.

Goodyear essentially makes these as a non-brand name tire. Goodyear also owns Kelly Springfield and Dunlop (in the US). The rubber used in the vast majority of tires actually comes from the same sources. There are plants in the US who manufacture the rubber and it is sold to any number of tire makers, so there isn't as huge a variation in rubber compounds for a given tire design as what I thought in the past - hence a lot of LT tires in various tread designs getting very similar mileage (50k+) from a set. I ran across a post from a guy that worked at GY and that's where this info comes from.

Reviews on this tire are varied. Some people claimed they had sidewall blowouts, others swear by the tire. There are far more good reviews than bad. Some say the sidewalls are not stiff enough and cause the vehicle to sway badly, others say they are fine (gotta love the internet).

The good news:
Discount Tires Direct sells them for $205 each, and local Discount Tires stores can "transfer" them at no additional cost. The tires are not really heavy (55 lbs ea). BFG AT KO's are 59 lbs for reference. Good mileage - 50k+ and good overall traction/durability. Low noise for a MT design. Easy to balance. 19/32nds tread depth. This size measures out to 11.50 x 33.0 inches. Load Range D - 8 ply only in this size.

The bad news:
Not many sizes are available. The sidewall is a 2 ply (BTW, very few LT tires have 3 ply sidewalls from what I've found. BFG's being one of them). Some people don't like the sidewall tread designs with the barbed wire. I personally don't care.

The rumors:
This tire is said to use the same carcass as the Duratrac (as well as the Kelly TSR tire). I can't confirm that, but from a manufacturing standpoint, it makes sense.

I'll give reviews as the miles pile up.

7500 MILE UPDATE
Tread is wearing very evenly and noise isn't much different than when new. Original tread depth was 19/32nds and it is down to 17/32nds. Based on that, I should get about 50k out of the tires. Only had them balanced once so far at about 3500 miles. It didn't need much at all.

Tires have held up really well to desert rock and are not chunking tread blocks like a lot of tires do in rocks. Great grip on and off road. Still very happy with them. Have been in heavy rain, deep mud, sand, rock, gravel, silty dirt and they perform very well. Haven't been in any snow yet.

11,600 MILE UPDATE

Tread wear is good. I'm at about 16/32nds. If I replace them at 5/32nds tread, they should last about 43,000 miles. See Post #18 for more details.

20,000 MILE UPDATE
Tread wear still very good. No flats on any tires so far. Tread depth now 14/32nds. Still looking like better than 50,000 miles before needing replacement. :)

45,000 MILE UPDATE

I am very surprised by these tires. They still have at least 9/32nds tread on them, although it tapers across the tread due to alignment issues. I've never had a single flat (knock wood) and they've gone a ton of desert/rock wheeling. The noise is now beginning to become bothersome, but only at about 60 mph. I plan on replacing them before December. Because they are a "wide" 285, they have always hit the frame in the rear wheel wells. Nothing more than a slight rub and all it's really done is polish the paint off the frame. I'd recommend these to anyone wanting an alternative to Duratracs - just to be different. As of today's date, they are no longer less expensive than Duratracs, so the main reason I chose them is no longer valid. Good tires tho.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good looking tire, I have seen them in person before, they look like a AT/MT hybrid, similar to a duratrac.
That's what attracted me to them. Most of the AT treads don't grip the typical desert rock we have out here and forget about mud. But I didn't want a pure mud tire either... Trying to get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires fit with the melt mod. They are much louder than the stock tires, which is fine with me. I sense no sloppyness like some other people commented about. I also checked the sidewall thickness before they got mounted and didn't think they were any thinner than other LT tires. I think people that thought these things made their truck sway a lot were not used to a tall MT tread pattern, which flexes a lot more than an AT or HWY tread. Pics to come later or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
499 Posts
I can see the one in post 5, but not the one in #1. I was to go say something, glad it's not just me

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very nice tires!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wondering, any updates on how these are doing? I am about to take the plunge on some this weekend.
I've been rotating every 3000 - 3500 miles. Wear is very good. Noise isn't much more than when new. No flats, no problems. I still am very happy with them. Every time I get them rotated (and they only needed balance once so far and it was minor), whoever works on it at Discount asks how I like the tires and compliments them. I've settled on running them at 40 psi.

Just remember, these aren't all terrains, so they are going to make some noise. I happen to like the rrrRRRrrrRRRrrrRRR sound. I can check actual wear in a couple hours when I take lunch.

Oh, and even with the melt mod, they're tall enough to scrub the front wheel wells once in a great while off road. They also rub a stupid plastic piece in the left rear wheel well occasionally. There's no contact with anything metal, so I'm not concerned in the least.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Nice! Yeah, I am not worried about the noise or the rub - all things that I can deal with or make changes to work around.

Main thing I was wondering is if they were wearing okay. I would hate to drop a bunch of money on tires to have them wear out fast and not be good for wheeling. Thanks for the update!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I measured my wear and as expected, the centers are wearing a little more than the edges. The minimum right now is just below 16/32nds in the middle and 17/32nds on the edges. That's over a total of 11,600 miles.

Based on this, I should reach 5/32nds tread at about 43,000 miles, which is when I'd replace them. Sadly, at the rate I drive, that's only 2 years on a set of tires.

The tires have not chunked at all.

FWIW, the most I've ever put on any set of tires on a truck was about 45,000.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had these put on my truck for a weekend due to the manufacturer mislabeled the tires as duratracs, I still question the tire ships knowledge of tires since they even put these on some they knew I had ordered duratracs, so I took them for a free mudding expedition. I do have to say, they impressed me. They got real heavy when churning through the mud but in turn cleaned really well and threw mud everywhere. I, personally, hated the look of the barbed wire as I felt like I should be running moto metal or xd rims along with them. Again that was just my opinion. Overall though, I agree that these tires are a great alternative to expensive duratracs.

Rik

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I too have these tires on my x. They are awesome for the money. Perform well on street, wet pavement, and even in the snow. The snow just flows right out of them. I went to the shocker run this weekend and made multiple recoveries in deep snow with no worries whatsoever. A lot of guys don't like the barb wire look but performance wise they are worth it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts