Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 XTerra X and want to change tires from the stock 265 70 16's to 265 75 16's from a Pro 4X (which are taller). How can I get my speedometer and odometer to read accurately with the new tires? Is there a gear in the gauge cluster or the trans that I can change?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I believe, but I could be wrong, that your speedometer will now be accurate if you install the 265/75. IIRC rise with the 265/70 tires were all going a little slower than they thought due to there only being one tire size programming.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I believe, but I could be wrong, that your speedometer will now be accurate if you install the 265/75. IIRC rise with the 265/70 tires were all going a little slower than they thought due to there only being one tire size programming.
That is my understanding as well. The 265/75r16 match the stock calibration better then the 265/70r16. My gps matched the speedometer with the 265s. Now, the 285/75r16 and 255/80r17 are a different story...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree. The speedo on my S reads 4 percent fast. That is the difference between the 30.6 dia. of my 265/70 and the 31.8 dia. of the 265/75.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 2013 Pro-4X came with 265/75-16 tires. I guess I thought the '12s and '13s were essentially the same, so this is a surprise. HPH

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
That was the case on my 2010 S when I went from 265/70s to 265/75s. Going by gps it read about 2 mph fast with the 70s. Now it seems to be 100% accurate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that's awesome, I got a sweet deal on barely-used Pro 4X wheels but was worried about speedo accuracy. So if my odometer says 10K with the 70's that means the truck actually has less than 10K miles on it?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
IDK if i just got lucky but my spedo is within 2mph of actual at highway speed with 285's

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Ok thanks. Does anyone know if the lug nuts are the same between the X and the Pro 4X?
Technically the threads are the same, but the nuts themselves are different. The picture below shows the two nuts side-by-side. The X (or steel wheel nuts, right side in the picture) have the shoulder that is designed to hold the center cap on - will be obvious in the picture. The "S" and "Pro4x/Off road nuts (left side in picture) do not have the shoulder and are intended for use on the alloy wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Brett, that makes sense. Do any of you guys running stock tires (265 70's or 265 75's) notice a lot of road noise? I have aftermarket mud and snow tires on the truck right now and they're really loud... I'm hoping when I switch over to the stock tires it will quiet down.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Thanks Brett, that makes sense. Do any of you guys running stock tires (265 70's or 265 75's) notice a lot of road noise? I have aftermarket mud and snow tires on the truck right now and they're really loud... I'm hoping when I switch over to the stock tires it will quiet down.
the stock rugged or long trails will be much quieter than mud tires or even a/t. also it gets really loud if you leave the back seats folded down. if you keep the seats up and cargo cover closed it knocks the noise down a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts