Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the owners manual, warranty information, and pretty much everything else.

Does it say any where that you can't run bigger than 31" tires?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Better not as the OR comes with 32's.

I did have my dealer tell me that they most likely will not replace my diff again if I continue to run 33's.

·
on line
190 Posts
They blamed a bad differential or differential breakage on tire size?

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are trying to blame a bad power steering pump on my tires right now.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Delaware_X said:
They blamed a bad differential or differential breakage on tire size?
Yes. Because they can as you are not running tires within nissan specification.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
cornick said:
They are trying to blame a bad power steering pump on my tires right now.
They sound like scum bags. Just take it to another dealership. If you can't do that. Have them write-up why they're not going to repair the damage under warranty. Then contact NISSAN directly and ask for a regional Nissan representative to inspect the claim.

OR's come with 32's. You're being BS'd.

·
on line
190 Posts
Quite honestly, the dealer sounds like a prick. They get paid for warranty work either way.

I would try another dealer.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Delaware_X said:
Quite honestly, the dealer sounds like a prick. They get paid for warranty work either way.

They get paid, but they also get insentives from corp to not do warranty work. At least other mfg's do it, I am not sure about Nissan.

Also, they are paid by corp based on a standard repair time for a certain problem. One of the things dealers do is rush and/or cut corners when doing in warranty repairs. They get paid for 6 hours of work and it only takes them 3 to complete. That type of thing.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Always a numbers game!

I'm not quite sure I will go as wide next time on tires. But my set up did do quite well at ECXC. What are we? On size up from an OR with 285 75's? I hardly think that is going to start trashing things. It's just an excuse. The dealers position should be, Nissan won't know unless we tell them. And yours should be, The jack with me, I'll tell everyone.
If you stop one sale with a trade in, you've cost them a few thousand dollars in profit.

MC

·
on line
79 Posts
that makes no sense that the ORs come with 32s but they are saying your tires are to big. did you think about bringing that up to the dealer

·
on line
2,938 Posts
for the record cornick is running 33's

·
on line
190 Posts
Muzikman said:
Delaware_X said:

They get paid, but they also get insentives from corp to not do warranty work. At least other mfg's do it, I am not sure about Nissan.

Also, they are paid by corp based on a standard repair time for a certain problem. One of the things dealers do is rush and/or cut corners when doing in warranty repairs. They get paid for 6 hours of work and it only takes them 3 to complete. That type of thing.
I understand that.

Maybe I've just had good luck with dealers.

I'm a firm believer in getting a relationship going with the service manager.

Trust me, it pays off.

My GT was in for warranty work and they covered all of it. Even the hydrobooster which they knew I f'd up from doing burnouts.

There's no bsing them with that car, they know it's raced. But they still cover any part that is/was under warranty.

I guess my point is, don't look at the service guy as being the bad guy.

If you give them some respect hopefully you will get it back.

Not everyone is as passionate about the vehicles as we are, and they don't expect to see people actually using them for what they are advertised as.

That is what probably throws them for a loop and they don't know if they can go back to corporate saying so and so went off road like it says on the website. etc etc etc.

When my 01 X got towde to the dealer the first time it was covered in mud and clay. They didn't ask any questions. They had the detail shop clean it for me when service was done with it.

I just think it depends on the dealer.

JMO

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Up to the dealer but if they can prove that the tires are the direct cause for the failure then they are correct. They don't need to honor the warranty work. The only thing is that a once inch bigger tire shouldn't make that much of a difference. Now if you are running something that is like a 34 or 35 then that might be understandable because of the added weight,etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts