Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running Goodyear Silent Armor 275/70R17's (32") on my X for about a year now and I've never had any fender rub. Fast forward to last week when I installed extended Radflo's and SPC UCA's and still no rub. Two days ago I took my X in for an alignment and now I'm getting fender rub at full lock with the tires ~1/2 stuffed. My tires also sound a lot noiser than they were before the alignment.

I checked the alignment sheet and it looks like everything is is spec compared to the service manual, but camber and caster appear to be pretty borderline. Camber is 1.2 and 0.9 degrees and caster is just over 3 degrees on both sides, toe in appears spot on. From the service manual it looks like 0.5 degrees is nominal for camber and 2.75 degrees for caster. The rear driver's side LCA bolt was seized so I couldn't get a cam bolt in there, but the other 3 were replaced. I'm guessing that's why caster is so far off, but I'm not sure.

I'll probably just do the melt mod, but from searching I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. I thought with 32" tires no melt was necessary. Is something fishy going on here? I just want to make sure I don't need to go back to the dealership for another alignment. The service technician destroyed one of my tweeters during the alignment and I'm still working with the service manager to get it paid for, so one problem at a time.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
How did he destroy a tweeter doing an alignment? Where did you take it?

It could be that the SPC UCA's were not adjusted properly or are maxed out in one direction so they used the cam bolts and several things are mis-alighned but still fall within spec.

When I first put my SPC's on and had it aligned they told me they couldn't do it because I didn't have cam bolts and there was no way for them to adjust anything until I pointed out the SPC's were adjustable, then they did it no problem (well, besides not tightening a bolt properly and causing the whole steering to go out of alignment and make the ABD module fail).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Against my better judgement (and your reccomendation) I went to Stadium for the alignment. I've never had a problem there so I figured why not. Turns out it was a bad idea. I have tweeters mounted in custom A-pillars that I built and it looks like someone broke a screw off and pushed the dome in. I had a spare cam bolt and instructions for the SPC UCA's on the floor of the passenger side and I'm guessing someone hit the tweeter with their shoulder when they went to grab them. The service manager even had the balls to completely deny responsibility and said it was like that before I came in!

It looks like they didn't touch the cam bolts on the passenger side and only adjusted the UCA all the way out. The UCA on the drivers side is pushed in about 1/2" from the outermost limit of adjustment, I'm not sure if they touched the cam bolt on that side.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yeah, always nice when they break something then say it was like that before. What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions hey?

Sounds like the adjustment has moved a wheel to a point where it now rubs because it's sitting out further than it did before. You were probably close but not quite rubbing and now.....

I would suspect that both UCA's should be set about the same so if one is all the way out and the other all the way in that would make me question it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, that makes sense to me. I emailed the service manager back asking if he knew what would cause the rubbing. Once he gets back to me I'll see if they can redo the alignment with the UCA's adjusted approx the same and see if they can fix the camber using the cam bolts. Hopefully it will be possible otherwise I'll have to cut out the driver's side LCA because of the seized bolt.

Edit: How much torque did you use for the big nut on the top of the ball joint? The instructions I got from SPC didn't specify so I used 45 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Against my better judgement (and your reccomendation) I went to Stadium for the alignment. I've never had a problem there so I figured why not. Turns out it was a bad idea. I have tweeters mounted in custom A-pillars that I built and it looks like someone broke a screw off and pushed the dome in. I had a spare cam bolt and instructions for the SPC UCA's on the floor of the passenger side and I'm guessing someone hit the tweeter with their shoulder when they went to grab them. The service manager even had the balls to completely deny responsibility and said it was like that before I came in!

It looks like they didn't touch the cam bolts on the passenger side and only adjusted the UCA all the way out. The UCA on the drivers side is pushed in about 1/2" from the outermost limit of adjustment, I'm not sure if they touched the cam bolt on that side.
I told you!!!!!
Don't go back to them dude!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
If they're going to do it for free give them that chance, and if it's still bad then you can pay.

Once they know you're paying attention and are prepared to make a fuss about it they'll probably make the effort to do it right. Most people wouldn;t notice so they are slack.

Whenever I take mine in I make it clear I know enough about working on the truck and that I'll be checking it after to make sure they did it right.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I got my last alignment, I went to a shop a local off road shop recommended. I was able to watch the guy the entire time, ask questions and he was really friendly and knowledgeable. He also asked me how I wanted my alignment set up (tweaking the settings to what I wanted but within spec).

That's the kind of place people should be looking for. I hate "customers can't watch or talk to the techs" kind of places. You never know if the guy is doing a decent job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts