Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about tire rotation. I have BFG AT's, 4x4 X...

I searched and found a couple of threads on the subject, but different answers.

Do you cross rotate or just front to back and back to front?

·
on line
358 Posts
I have always, unless the tire or wheel is a directional type, crossed the fronts to the rear and bring the rears straight forward. You will get better wear if you do.

·
on line
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the quick answers! :cheers: What would I do without thenewX.org..........

·
on line
331 Posts
Unless you drive in the same direction around a circle all day then you just need to do front to rear/rear to front, no crossing sides

·
on line
13,467 Posts
The calculator on that site is cool. You can put in the new tire diameter you want, and the one you have now, and it shows you changes in ground clearance, speed, all kinds of stuff.

So Those dudes with 33's, get .6 inches of clearence over us with the 31.8's, or 285 vs. 265.

Thats alot of tire for only a half inch more clearance!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If only going up the 1", you do not need gears. I took a 1mpg hit but I notice no performace differences with the 285/75R16's. I can still get up to speed pretty quick.

Where I do feel a lack of power is when the AC is on.

·
on line
564 Posts
Muzikman said:
If only going up the 1", you do not need gears. I took a 1mpg hit but I notice no performace differences with the 285/75R16's. ...

I agree...going from 32" to 33" isn't that big of a change. For example the OR MT with 3.538 final drive ratio would only have to go to a 3.66 final ratio to match rpm's when going from 265/75-16 to 285/75-16. Actually, the OR models already have a 1" larger than stock tire and Nissan didn't change the final ratio of the OR...that's why our speedo/odo's are off by about 3%.

Rob

·
on line
1,208 Posts
XKNUT said:
BFGoodrich recommends:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/all-terrain-t-a-ko/44.html

Back to Front. Front crossed to back.

IMHO I feel crossing the tires will give the best overall wear over the lifetime of your tires, though I have no emperical evidence otherwise.
X2 Since I bought 5 Tires, and plan to get 255/85 BFG M/Ts for my next ones I dont want my nittos as a spare, so I throuw my spare into the rotation as well, wear all 5 tires down together. This is my very crude drawing from paint that shows how I rotate them.

·
on line
3,333 Posts
How often should you rotate your tires? I have the stock tires from the 2006 OR...

·
on line
4,594 Posts
How often should you rotate your tires?

Somewhere buried on the BFG site I posted earlier is this statement:

Rotation: The changing of tires from front to rear or from side-to-side on a vehicle according to a set pattern; provides even treadwear. Rotating your tires on a regular basis (every 6,000-8,000 miles) is a simple way to add miles to their life.
Since I bought my tires at BigO and have my oil changes done there, I get my tires rotated every 3,000 miles. It's included in the cost of the oil change. Only drawback is that I might not notice any odd wear patterns within 3k.

·
on line
294 Posts
i rotate every other oil change (7500 miles). seems to do well. these grabber stockers show almost no wear after 29k... :( i want new tires....

·
on line
735 Posts
book says 8k miles, but I usually get around to it every 10k. Just so long as you do it once or twice during the life of your tires.

·
on line
166 Posts
robnfl said:
Muzikman said:
If only going up the 1", you do not need gears. I took a 1mpg hit but I notice no performace differences with the 285/75R16's. ...

I agree...going from 32" to 33" isn't that big of a change. For example the OR MT with 3.538 final drive ratio would only have to go to a 3.66 final ratio to match rpm's when going from 265/75-16 to 285/75-16. Actually, the OR models already have a 1" larger than stock tire and Nissan didn't change the final ratio of the OR...that's why our speedo/odo's are off by about 3%.

Rob
Do you have any data to back that up? If so, which I highly doubt, a class action lawsuit will follow. In the long run this will result in an incorrect mileage reading, which is HIGHLY illegal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts