Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I rotate the tires myself or get it done somewhere? I hear some talk about the lifetime rotation at Firestone. Can someone tell me how much that costs? Should they be balanced at every rotation?

Thanks for any help.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There is a lifetime alignment at Firestone, not roatation. Part of the lifetime alignment is free rotation, but that is only for the life of the tires that were on the vehicle at the time of the initial alignment purchase.

I say do the rotation yourself. It's not hard and doesn't take long.

Do not do a cross over rotation. Just move the drivers side front tire to the rear and the rear to the front and move the passanger side front tire to the rear and the rear to the front.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I do it myself.

It doesn't take that long. Now with the Hi-lift it should be quicker.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Faster to DIY Plus you have to retorque after 50 miles anyways.
Buy a cheap torque wrench I think it says 80 lbs look it up.
Remove 2 wheels same side, put front on back and back on font. If they are balanced, no need to re do.
Do other side same way.
drive 50 miles and re torque. You are done. Air sensors will not give you any problems. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Faster to DIY Plus you have to retorque after 50 miles anyways.
Buy a cheap torque wrench I think it says 80 lbs look it up.
Remove 2 wheels same side, put front on back and back on font. If they are balanced, no need to re do.
Do other side same way.
drive 50 miles and re torque. You are done. Air sensors will not give you any problems. MC
The torque spec for the stock wheels (alloy wheels) is 98ft-lbs (I don't know if it's the same for the stock steel wheels or not).

Edit: They really need to move the "edit" button.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -And remember, If you include your spare in the rotation--

--Which ever side you start with-keep it on that SIDE for future rotations--

-- All radials are funny that way--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ditto on the edit button I caught myself a few times doing what you probably caught yourself doing. LOL Good thing it wasn't a nuclear war button.

Don't include the spare now a days in your rotation unless you want to dismount each time and switch to a rim with a sensor, Or, you want to buy and additional sensor and have it added to the spare and have the dealer re-calibrate it each time you put it in rotation. But, I think I read that a sensor in the spare will mess up our system as it is an actually measurement of the pressure and not rotation of tire using the ABS sensor. Our system can only monitor 4 wheels adding a 5th will mess it up. And I read this at dealer in his computer when trying to determine if I could put a second set of sensors in my second set of wheels and still have system work, and that was a yes.

Easy way, do not include spare tire in rotation.
Provided we are at thenewx.org and we are talking 05+ Xterra's here.
MC

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a lifetime alignment at Firestone, not roatation. Part of the lifetime alignment is free rotation, but that is only for the life of the tires that were on the vehicle at the time of the initial alignment purchase.
D'oh, my bad.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I typically do might at 5K with an oil change.

·
on line
134 Posts
Tire rotation? Thats a good idea really. I've never actually rotated tires on any of my vehicles... 25K on the X now, might think about doing such a thing next time I'm around the shop. Of course I'll probably have my new rubber by then so it really doesnt count as a true rotation.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
kokopop said:
Now with the Hi-lift it should be quicker.
When using a Hi-Lift on the X, where is the best jacking point? If lifting the whole truck side instead of just one wheel, where is the best jack point? If you have Shrock sliders, can you lift the truck by the slider (as seen in some photos on Jim's site)?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
buxwheat said:
kokopop said:
Now with the Hi-lift it should be quicker.
When using a Hi-Lift on the X, where is the best jacking point? If lifting the whole truck side instead of just one wheel, where is the best jack point? If you have Shrock sliders, can you lift the truck by the slider (as seen in some photos on Jim's site)?
You can lift the entire one side of the X from the sliders but I don't suggest it.

With out sliders, you really don't have a lift point on an X.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
muzikman said:
buxwheat said:
kokopop said:
You can lift the entire one side of the X from the sliders but I don't suggest it.

With out sliders, you really don't have a lift point on an X.
So w/ sliders you can jack it somewhere near front or rear to get one wheel? The only time I would probably lift the whole side would be to do tire rotation, but you wouldn't advise that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts