Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have heard of Gladiator Tires. I had not. They seem to make allot of trailer tires, and Trailer truck tires. Im writting this review because I could not find 1 review ANYWHERE online.

I was looking for a set of 285-75-16s. And a club member from another forum who works at a tire shop said he could get the Gladiator QR900 MT's cheap. How cheap? $700 mounted balanced,tax and out the door. Brand new not retreads.

Here is a quick Google picture.

They dont look super impressive online. They do look allot better in person.

A little back ground, I have had every type of tire. From a BFG AT,**** Cepek FCII's, Mud Rovers, Swampers, and so on. I have worked with tires for the last 12 years, Either an installer, a salesmen, Or like currently a Warehouse Manager that Deal's in selling tires to Dealerships, But I don't get a discount :angry5:

I really wanted another set of **** Cepek FCIIs, But I just did not have $1000 after install/taxes. But I was looking for the a "Hybrid" Like tire (a cross between a AT and MT) Because Most my time is spent on road with about 1000 miles a year offroad doing overlanding/expedition adventures.

When I saw these, I saw the tread was fairly close together, yet still spaced. And thought that would result in a quite ride. While still providing a decent tread to clean its self out. And I was right.

First let me say I live in Maine and in the last 48 hours we have had everything from 55 Degrees, To rain, sleet and snow.

As far as the tires over all.

1. No weird pulling, 3 out of 4 balanced out great for a meatier tire (2.5 ounces or less per in/out) One took a little More weight on the inside (4oz. and 2oz on the outside)

2. I have had them intown and on the Highway and the handling and road noise was great,They are pretty quite, Just a slight hum... but not anymore noticeable then my **** Cepek FCII's.

3. Woke up this morning to rain, I hit puddles and drove in the groves filled with water,and it steered true with out yanking me

4. We started getting slush on our venture and hour in a half NW to visit family, And that eventually turned to more of a snow mix on unplowed/nonsanded roads.. And in 2wd It only kicked out once. I felt secure on the road. From the snowy drive When I pulled into my brothers snow pack yard,the tires cleared them selves out great.

5. A friends long drive way that is dirt turned into 5"s of mud. Once I turned off the xterra's traction control the tires had no problem spinning, cleaning out and getting me through in 2wd.

Of course I cant comment for deeper mud,rocks, or sand. But I bet with the proper air pressure they would do just fine. But Ill update this once spring decides to arrive and melt the snow so I can test it in those conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curious how you liked these tires through their lifetime. Would did you purchase another set? How many miles did you get out of them?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was going to start a new thread, but since this is specific to the Gladiator QR900 M/T, I'll bring this old thread back to life. My recent purchase of a 2014 X, which has these Gladiators, is causing me some problems.

I did all of the usual inspections before writing a check. However, I must have really failed at the test drive, because at highway speeds there is a terrible vibration in the steering wheel between 60 to 70MPH. So I took it to a reputable tire shop and had them balance the tires. The guy doing the balance told me he "would do the best he can". Afterwards I took it back on the highway to find the vibrating had been calmed down a little, but obviously still an issue.

Perhaps there is something else at play with the vibration, but I cannot find anything underneath that looks suspect. The alignment seem okay.

In the mean time, I would encourage anyone thinking about saving a few dollars on this brand of tire to stay clear of them and buy a well known brand with a warranty ( guessing the previous owner dealt with the same issue and threw in the towel).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts