Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bit the bullet when it came time to replace the tires on the Xterra. I decided I wanted a 285 and decided on the BFG AT KO’s.

I had replaced the original BFG Rugged Trails with Bridgestone Dueler Revos. While I had been happy with the Revo’s, they lacked on the off-road traction department. So I went a bit more aggressive.

The BFG’s are one of the most expensive AT’s out there. You will pay north of $200 each, even if you get a good deal on them. Expect closer to $250 each for the 285’s. But you are getting arguably the best AT tire available, and BFG knows it.

Now buying tires are like buying mattresses. There are a million varieties and even more opinions on which one is best. But in my opinion, the BFG’s strike the best balance between on road manners and off road capability.

On road, the tires are much heavier than their stock replacements. This ups the unsprung weight of each wheel and introduces new issues, the main one being feedback through the steering. The Xterra has very good steering and a fair amount of feedback through the wheel. It’s very precise and can even be classified as “darty”, even with the stock tires. The larger and heavier AT’s introduce a shimmy when you go over large bumps, mainly due to the shock’s inability to completely control the added weight. It’s not a major issue, just something you will notice. The other issue is a greater tendency to follow irregularities in the road. On a rough road, this results in a bit more wandering. Part of this is due to the wider tire section, part is down to the deeper and squishier tread. But all in all, it’s an acceptable compromise.

I was concerned that going to a D Range tire would make the ride unacceptably harsh, but that’s not the case. At 35 PSI, the ride is really unchanged.

The new tires are very quiet, although some people complain of them getting louder with age. There have also been the odd complaint of tread separation, but having owned and been around BFG AT’s for decades, I’ve never seen any of this.

When I had mine mounted, it took the tire shop a couple of tries to get them properly balanced. This will be an issue with any set of heavy tires.

Acceleration undoubtedly will suffer due to the higher weight and larger diameter, but again, it’s so minor, that I have yet to notice.

These are issues that come with any heavier tire.

The 285’s fit with only the melt mod. There has been no rubbing. The spare fits perfectly as well.

The only real issue I had was with the TPMS. I replaced four sensors, but as one of the old sensors had just been replaced, I put it in the spare. I am doing a five tire rotation scheme. It took the tire shop a couple of rounds to get them going. I don’t think that they realized that the brand new sensors need to be initialized for the TPMS to find them. But we managed to get it all going. The spare does not register with the TPMS, so the system needs to be reset every time you rotate the spare into the mix. This can be done by the paperclip method, or the shop can do it in just a few minutes.

Off road, the tires are excellent, especially for a stockish, street driven vehicle. They are good at almost everything except deep mud and clay.

Keep in mind that as of right now, BFG makes two varieties of the 285/75 R16’s. There is the D range which is severe snow rated. There is also an E range variant that is not severe snow rated. I recommend the D rated tire.

I highly recommend these tires if they are in your budget.

Old Army

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have these tires, and while they're average off road, they suck in snow (I have the D load range) since they have practically no siping, and are terrible in mud because they load up and don't clean themselves out. If you think BFG "knows" they have the best AT tire, you're wrong. I think they're on the low end of the performance spectrum. The only thing that's good about them is that they wear like rocks, and wear evenly. I've had mine for 60k miles and they still have plenty of life left. Will I get them again? NO WAY.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the review

I am a fan of these tires as I have run them on many trucks before.
I agree with MainerX that they are NOT mud tires.:(
However, I have loved them in the snow on my other vehicles.
They were great on my 4Runner.
I even ran them on my 2WD Ranger and they seemed great in the snow.
I would like to hear other input as I currently plan to put them on the X when it gets closer to 20K miles.

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you think BFG "knows" they have the best AT tire, you're wrong. I think they're on the low end of the performance spectrum.
Well, I'm sorry you don't like them. I've had dozens of types off AT tires on everything from Jeeps to SUV's. I've driven them all over the country in all sorts of weather and terrain from Moab slick rock to feet of Colorado snow to East Coast mud.

All AT tires are a compromise. BFG AT KO's, while not an MT, are as good as an AT gets off road, and that's what I went for. They are also not a dedicated winter tire, so ice is not their forte, but they do very well in snow.

It can certainly be a argued that other tires may be better in certain circumstances, but regardless, they are most definitely not at the low end of the performance spectrum.

Old Army

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I've run most of the A/Ts on the market and I had a really bad experience with BFG A/Ts. I strongly believe that they survive on name recognition and repeat buyers who haven't tried the other, better A/Ts.

I would much rather have the Revos that you took off. That is a great tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've run most of the A/Ts on the market and I had a really bad experience with BFG A/Ts. I strongly believe that they survive on name recognition and repeat buyers who haven't tried the other, better A/Ts.

I would much rather have the Revos that you took off. That is a great tire.

The Revos were a very good tire on road, but not so much off road. They were also becoming very loud.

They all have their pluses and minuses.

And when I got rid of them, they were ready to go!

Old Army

·
on line
845 Posts
I have had 4 or 5 sets of AT KO's including the load range D's.
This was on my gen 1 and 2.

A very tough/good tire but worthless in any kind of mud or wet snow.

I switched to Dura Trac's because of this. I like the Dura Trac's but am thinking of changing to new Goodyear AT Kevlars.

Toy Man

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had the BFG's as well on my 4-door wrangler and swapped them ASAP , they where terrible offroad and in the snow. I'm glad you like them but I switched to Duratracs on the X and i'll never buy BFG's again. I also had really bad cupping with them and have never had that issue with tires before. Maybe it was just a bad experience but , fool me once.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought a set of BFG AT's about 45,000 miles ago. The D range were unavailable, I went with the E range. Slightly harsher ride, and they are starting to get a bit noisy. They're pretty good in snow, the wear is even (I think I can get at least another 20,000 out of them). While they're not great in mud, keeping a slight wheel spin helps keep them cleaned out. I would certainly not say they are worthless in any kind of mud!
While I don't offroad, I do hunt, and travel regularly on rough logging trails. Would I buy them again? Tough question, I would not buy the E rated tires again, they are much to harsh for a truck of the Xterra's weight.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I have had 4 or 5 sets of AT KO's including the load range D's.
This was on my gen 1 and 2.

A very tough/good tire but worthless in any kind of mud or wet snow.

I switched to Dura Trac's because of this. I like the Dura Trac's but am thinking of changing to new Goodyear AT Kevlars.

Toy Man
Agreed. In addition, I had issues with them in heavy rain and I had to rotate them every 3k miles or they cupped.

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. In addition, I had issues with them in heavy rain and I had to rotate them every 3k miles or they cupped.

I've heard of this issue as well. The Xterra seems to have lots of camber up front which may not play well with the flat tread of the BFG.

I will keep this thread updated with my experiences, both good and bad as I go along.

Old Army

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got the KOs on the X now

265/75 R16
They are the E load range, but snow rated
They are stiffer (of course) but I don't have a problem with that.
We'll see how it goes.

·
on line
496 Posts
I have them in 285 " D", and I have no problem at all. I have 32000 miles on them, and still have 13/32 out of the 15/32 when new. The "E" have 17/32, but the "D" have 15/32. We do get a lot of snow where I live, and it's mandatory to have a snow rated tire in winter and I am extremely satisfied with their snow performance, no complaint at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have them in 285 " D", and I have no problem at all. I have 32000 miles on them, and still have 13/32 out of the 15/32 when new. The "E" have 17/32, but the "D" have 15/32. We do get a lot of snow where I live, and it's mandatory to have a snow rated tire in winter and I am extremely satisfied with their snow performance, no complaint at all.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts