Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for a tire repair kit, was wondering if anyone had a favorite and why? So far, from what I've been reading the reamers and plug setting tools are not of very good quality in most kits with many users reporting they break on first use (at least in many Amazon reviews).

So which ones are you using, and have you actually had to use the kits yet?

Tom

·
New England Regional Moderator
3,647 Posts
Boulder Tools. It’s the same Chinese filler that’s you'd get from ARB. But it’s a few dollars cheaper and resold by a smaller US based company.

Boulder Tools - 56 Pc Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit For Car, Truck, RV, Jeep, ATV, Motorcycle, Tractor, Trailer. Flat Tire Puncture Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DLZ2CbKK1EXPN

·
Registered
595 Posts
^ That’s a good one.

I honestly don’t remember mine. But I do know- METAL T HANDLES.
Don’t get plastic ones. Just don’t. Ok? Ok.

(Looks like almost all of em are metal these days.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tip of the hat to everyone!

I think I'll be going with either the Boulder Tools, or Viking Offroad (from Chris's link). They both look pretty good, and I like that the business end of the tools are replaceable.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
The one I carry is made by Slime, I got it as a gift a long time ago. It has a plastic handle and I've had to use it probably 3 times over the years with no problems so far, maybe it was better quality back then?
I've used this kit about 10 times. https://shop.slime.com/products/tire-plug-kit-8-pc?variant=47566190216

One of the local "government auction" places where they sell old used crap from the government (local & state I think at this one), they had a box full of them for $3 a piece. I bought about 10. never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
My tire kit includes
-Sticky string kit bought at walmart. Reamer, pluger, sticky strings, and glue. I get the additional string and glue kit as needed. I buy new kits regularly so that I have a couple of reamers and string inserters. Yes you can break off the "T" handle if going to town on the hole.
-1 larger can of fix a flat. Though I do not use as my primary repair, I did have one repair took 6 strings in a sidewall and a can of fix a flat. Already used the spare for the completely shredded tire. Sometimes I carry 2 cans of fix a flat, they have been known to be duds.
-Compressor. I have several. High volume unit that clips directly onto the battery, to various sizes of cig lighter compressors. The bigger the better. Smaller still better than none.

Some kits do not include glue and say that it is not needed. I find that the glue not only helps seal, but lubes up the sticky string for easier installation. At home I have a jar of Elmers rubber cement that I will use. I try to save the little tubes (unopened) for field use. Once opened you can put a piece of foil between the cap and the threads to seal the glue better. The foil from the back of a tube patch works well. The sticky strings also dry out over time. They do not work as well once dried out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
mrpulldown
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing