Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go offroad as much as I can, when Im not skiing during the winter. Unfortunately out here some of the trails can get up to three feet of snow on them making them all but impassable in anything but a snow cat.
Does anyone know if its best to deflate tires to the normal offroad level in snow, I usually take my 32" Maxxis tires from 35 PSI to around 23 PSI.

Should I go more or less and why?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
First, I'm ordering four Rud "Grip" chains, $120 a pair. Here's a link:
http://www.rudchain.com The contact is Sandra at 800 553-7993, ext. 227

And I find that I bog down without chains in much more than a foot of snow.

But less than that in the snowy mountains around here in CA, I air down to 12-15. That's the range where you get some real bigger "footprint" benefit, instead of just the smoother ride you get in the low 20s. The footprint gives you more traction, just like in sand. But you lose some clearance, so it's a tradeoff.

Like I said, I like to play in the snow, so I'm getting some good chains. And I'll have to see what works when I try them out.

·
on line
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

let me know how the chains due, im thinking about chains also.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
SCCX is going to be doing a run in snow this month. With my tire size, I plan on staying as aired up as possible and seeing how it goes. After all, these pizza cutters should dig down through at least 6". We'll see.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Problem is, if the snow is anything like the stuff currently in the East, you don't want to dif, it's a sheet of ice under that snow.

Turtle (Dan) found that out first hand this past weekend. ;)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You got a winch, you'll make it! ;)

I honestly don't know what the snow up north looks like, but the stuff down here is a layer of snow, layer of ice, layer of snow, layer of ice, layer of icy snow. It's pretty ugly. It's not deep, just ugly.

I am trying another snow run this Saturday to the Ligonier trails.

·
on line
238 Posts
Yup, I hit the hill with 25lbs and lost a little momentum and then traction went to the birds. After going down to 18lbs I could get some traction and claw up the hill a little, but that was it.

My tires are Firestone Destination M/T's in 265/75's. They have a triple side wall as well, so they handled the low pressure well.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
muzikman said:
You got a winch, you'll make it! ;)

I honestly don't know what the snow up north looks like, but the stuff down here is a layer of snow, layer of ice, layer of snow, layer of ice, layer of icy snow. It's pretty ugly. It's not deep, just ugly.

I am trying another snow run this Saturday to the Ligonier trails.
Well You scared me on the cabin run, My Dad is like 73 and it's like 2 miles DOWN into cabin, Normally you make it in, but it's up all the way out and if there is ice under there, well, 2 miles, that's like a lot of winching and We was just going to look see how it made out in the snow. So we chickened out. We hear they got 2 feet. My Dodge made it in with 2 feet And out. But getting stuck this cold would suck with my Dad with me. Maybe Ligonier? MC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts