Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get a little feedback from everyone. Just got a new set of 265/75 16 Toyo Open Country M/T's - which by the way look awesome (perform pretty well too).
Just wanting to know what PSI guys are running their higher load rating tires at. The max for the Toyo's is 80 PSI, 60 suggested. Mine are set at 40 PSI. Are you getting better gas mileage with the higher pressure or not? How's the ride? I knew I notice a drop in gas mileage, but it seems like a lot more than I thought due to the fact that I'm running factory size.

P.S. I'll have to try and take some pics and post - just got the tires and my Shrocksliders on last weekend!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
As I've posted before, I almost got the Toyos in 285 75 16s. They look great, and are super strong and dependable. But with the strength and the E load rating (I'm pretty sure the 265s are Es) comes more weight. I'm not sure what the 265 75s are , but the 285s were 68 lbs., about 15 lbs over stock. If the 265s are close to that, you might notice some mpg loss due to weight.

I run 35 psi with my new BFG MTs. It's hard to believe that 40 psi isn't plenty in your Toyos, unless you're loaded to the gills. 40 psi also seems like the path of least resistance as far as mpg is concerned.

·
on line
268 Posts
muzikman said:
Chalk test them man.
I've seen references to this a number of times. Can someone please explain what it is, how it works, and how to do it? Tx.

gads, my first post. Thought I had posted some here before. Oh well. Nothing like being a n00b.

·
on line
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I'm gonna chalk test 'em as soon as it stops raining... The 40 PSI feels great on the ride, they also don not appear underinflated.
The Toyos weight in at 58 lb a tire, just a little over the BF Goodrich in the same size and the 285/75.
I also did the math ealier when I filled up, I'm losing about 2 MPG, which really isn't that bad going from a 36 lb tire to a 58 lb tire. Haven't tested the highway MPG.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah, it seems like that 22lbsx4 is most of the mpg issue. I didn't realize the stock meats were so light. (I also didn't realize that there was 10lbs difference between the Toyos in 265 75 and 285 75.)

No way 40 psi is underinflated. The tires are very versatile. A very loaded full-size pick-up could run these same tires. For our application, you could run anywhere from the low 30s to 40 or so on the road. More would be too much for the X's weight. I bet 35 would be perfect for daily driving.

Congrats on what sound like some great tires.

·
on line
358 Posts
It is a load rated tire not a passenger tire. It will carry the rated weight at max psi. There is no way you need anywhere near that much. The larger the tire the more air volume. The more air volume the more it can carry at the same psi than a smaller tire. So if you have replaced a smaller tire with a larger size tire you will probably find that you will be at a lower psi or close to the original size. Chalk test.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Grouch said:
muzikman said:
Chalk test them man.
I've seen references to this a number of times. Can someone please explain what it is, how it works, and how to do it? Tx.

gads, my first post. Thought I had posted some here before. Oh well. Nothing like being a n00b.
First of all...

Chalk test consists of rubbing the entire width of your tire with a good amount of chalk, driving for a few yards and looking at the pattern worn off. In the center you have too much air in the tires, on the edges you don't have enough air in the tires, even all of the way across...just right. Hope this clears it up for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts